5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery Suggestions - More For My Canuck Friend

Reaction score
So my battery after 2.5 years and 61299km (38089mi) my battery has gone for a crap. My truck starts fine, warm and cold weather. It also is fine if I don't use my truck for a 1 or 2 days. It's NOT fine when I am working on the truck turning on ACC and doors open, the battery dies within 5 to 15 mins. I don't think the battery should be dying that quick. I load tested my battery and it's come up being weak. Charged the battery and still comes up weak. Getting 14.0 to 14.6 volts while truck is running so the alternator is good.

So I have been on the search for a new battery, but here in Canada we don't have as many places to get batteries like the US.. The local stores don't carry the same battery's I've mentioned here, or at least not that I can find. So that is why I am also reaching out to my fellow Canadians. So here is what I have narrowed down to so far, unless this thread results in a better battery I can get here or other Canadian's have other stores I can find other batteries at.

I am trying to stick with AGM and upgrading to H8 group size. Canadian Prices (American Price) and all pre-tax

- Motormaster Eliminator AGM H8 $259 ($206) ----- (after $20 core charge. $279 without return of the battery) . From Canadian Tire so you US guys probably will not have much input on this.
- Odyssey Performance AGM H8 $326 ($259) --- local distributor for the company
- Energizer AGM H8 $249 ($198) -- (after $10 core charge. $259 without return of old battery) From Costco
- EverStart Maxx H8 $190 ($151) --- Acid Filled but read good things about it so that's why it's on the list. From Walmart

Warranty on each

Motormaster - 5 years and no pro-rata with 5 year road side boost (I've got a booster pack so wouldn't use the service)
Odyssey - 3 year warrenty and no pro-rata
Energizer - 5 year limited warranty and 100 month pro-rate (not sure if that means 3 years free replacement and 5 years pro-rata as 100 months is 8 years don't see a battery having 13 years warranty lol)
EverStart - 5 years (3 years free replacement and 2 years pro-rata)

Motormaster - 850CCA
Odyssey - 950CCA
Energizer - 900CCA
EverStart - 900CCA

Motormaster, Odyssey, Energizer stores are easy as Canadian Tire, Costco and Walmart are close.
Odyssey the distributors are 1hr away from my home. Not a big deal if the battery is worth it.

Thanks

Reaction score
This has my attention - thanks for doing all my work ;)

You're very welcome... All the talks of batteries on here usually relate to US where they have more products available then we do here. I'm torn really between Motormaster Eliminator because as you probably know Canadian Tire is everywhere and the 5 year free replacement is enticing (I've had these in the past and they worked well). The odyssey comes up on this forum which is why I was debating about it, it seems high end but only 3 year warranty but only 2 distributors as far as I know Hamilton and Woodbridge. I don't mind paying extra or only have 2 places to return for replacement if that happens if the battery is worth paying more for. I just don't know if it's overkill compared to the others. Eliminator is pure-lead flat plate just like Odyssey and I think Exide Edge makes the Eliminator battery but not confirmed.

I now believe the Energizer Costco battery is 5 years free replacement with an additional 100 months (8years) of pro-rata which is a very long time.

The dealer says no warranty after 60,000km or 3years.. Called FCA head office they said they MAY cover it but I would need to take my truck to dealer to determine the reason why battery is dead. So no guarantees they will cover. So not only would I need to leave my truck at my dealer for the day (appointment only) but I also could potentially be denied and still be on the hook for about $130cdn for diagnostic fee and still need a battery. So I figure, I will not roll the dice, I'll just put that $130 towards a new battery myself. All because I am 1299km outside of my basic warranty. They say extended warranty doesn't cover the battery, $4000 for extended warranty and they will not cover a $200 battery lol..

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
"Land border restrictions for travel to the United States remain in effect through January 21, 2022 and may be extended. Effective November 8, 2021, fully vaccinated foreign travelers will be able to travel to the United States across the Northern and Southwest borders with Canada and Mexico. Travelers who enter the United States at land POEs and ferry terminals do not require proof of a negative test; in addition, U.S. citizens and LPRs do not need to provide proof of vaccination status at land POEs and ferry terminals. Please visit the Department of Homeland Security webpages for fact sheets and frequently asked questions."

Reaction score
drive to the states and get an interstate.
Not worth it for me. I'm 4hrs round trip just to Buffalo Border and then I still have to go to a store. So probably 5 or 6 hours of driving or more. And an even longer day with border crossing.

Is interstate that good of a battery?

kittyjo

Reaction score
All Costco batteries are interstate batteries just fyi…

kittyjo

Reaction score
Not in Canada, at least not on the website. They only have energizer listed.
Oh Well they have best warranty’s around at Costco haha just a little inside info interstates batteries most batteries like AGMS cca are underrated so if it reads 900cca it will have 1100-1200cca..

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am still amazed at my Antigravity H8. https://antigravitybatteries.com/products/starter-batteries/automotive/ag-h8-rs/

pricey, but I don't expect to ever need another battery again. It took me 4 days or running accessories to run it down to the cutoff needed to use the fob/button to "jump" it.

I got mine for $650 from wedontliftracing in AZ. and they game me a battery tracker and a couple antigravity flashlights as a gift. No idea if they still do that, but their price is 850 now.

no idea what they would run in Canada or get raped by customs brokerage.

Reaction score
Well, I ended up with the Motormaster Elminator Battery which is 850CCA and 975CA and 180 reserve capacity. My previous prices were wrong, the battery was $291 and if you leave the old battery for core charge you end up paying $271cdn. Total cost with tax was $307cdn. 5 year warranty no pro-rated amounts and 5 years of free boost if needed. I've got a Noco booster so I won't use the service. Plus paying with my Canadian Tire Credit Card I have 12 equal months to pay (0% interest and $0 fee). But I'll end up paying it in one shot. Plus I got $9 in Canadian Tire Points (Canadians will know that that is)

I was going with the Odyssey H8 as they told me I could have gotten it yesterday but I got called by the distributor that it won't be here until next week as they are still in the US. I couldn't wait 2 weeks (and no guarantees) for it. My battery had it's final straw on Monday, I moved my truck and was taking stuff out with doors open for maybe 5 mins and get back to my truck it was dead wouldn't turn over. Then I was messing with my battery when I got home, checking the parasitic draw and it was telling me I was drawing like 1 to 3 amps way too much. Plus my horn and lights start beeping and flashing which no way to shut them off with my remote. Ended up pulling horn fuse to stop it.

New battery is in, I have zero parasitic draw and voltage gauge showing 14.7 volts while running. Never put my meter on battery to check right at the battery when vehicle running and when it's off.

This is the issue with Canada, we don't have an abundance of products like the US. Just 2-3 stores/dealers for items like Odyssey Batteries (and many other items) that are widely available to the US. Either way Canadian Tire has been around for years and the good thing is if my battery goes for a crap there are stores all over the place to have it replaced, unlike the Odyssey. If I am at my trailer and my battery goes for a crap then I go to Canadian Tire and get it replaced, if I have the Odyssey then I am screwed.

Oh ya, they Eliminator Batteries from Canadian Tire are made by East Penn.

Reaction score
I picked up the same battery on the weekend! Not put it in yet.

There is a little plastic stopper clip near the firewall inside of the battery box, you just need to remove that to fit in the H8 battery. The battery box is made for a H8, I believe the e-torque models might have come with H8 AGM from factory (don't quote me). So they put the stopper in so the all boxes can be made for H8 buy also for H7.

I also used the battery insulator sleeve, I just cut one side of it and wrapped my battery with the same one. I'm sure you can buy from them for H8 but this is a temporary thing.

Users who are viewing this thread