5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery Replacement?

BiGJZ74

Reaction score
I have a 2019 ram 1500 Big Horn and my battery needs to be replaced set a 12 V charge when I turn off the truck. Can I just replace the battery? Or do I have to take it to the dealership to be coded?

Rhombus

Reaction score
Bought a die hard not long after buying the truck. Too many bad Ram batteries. Well it failed after 27 months. 20 minutes at Advance and I left with a new battery for no charge. I would NOT depend on a dealer for a battery.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a 2019 ram 1500 Big Horn and my battery needs to be replaced set a 12 V charge when I turn off the truck. Can I just replace the battery? Or do I have to take it to the dealership to be coded?

Nope, nothing fancy like that. You may want to use one of those 12v UBS power units to keep the computer from losing power, probably save you a few hours of waiting for everything to boot back up. But otherwise, pretty basic battery replacement.

Not like Bimmers or similar cars that need to have a battery "registered" into the car. Those vehicles have a special charging optimization program that requires the system to be updated when a fresh battery is installed so it doesn't overcharge and shorten the life a new batteries.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bought a die hard not long after buying the truck. Too many bad Ram batteries. Well it failed after 27 months. 20 minutes at Advance and I left with a new battery for no charge. I would NOT depend on a dealer for a battery.
How did that Die Hard do? Lasted 27 months and had to have it replaced. What is the difference from that and a Mopar battery?

BiGJZ74

Reaction score
Nope, nothing fancy like that. You may want to use one of those 12v UBS power units to keep the computer from losing power, probably save you a few hours of waiting for everything to boot back up. But otherwise, pretty basic battery replacement.

Not like Bimmers or similar cars that need to have a battery "registered" into the car. Those vehicles have a special charging optimization program that requires the system to be updated when a fresh battery is installed so it doesn't overcharge and shorten the life a new batteries.
Can you use a battery tender to keep ecu powered?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Can you use a battery tender to keep ecu powered?

I don't think so, they will need a battery to connect to, their programming is based on reading a battery.

You can pick-up a OBD Memory Saver from Amazon from $10-$15. Though most will require some sort of power source, like another 12v battery or a power station.

However you can just skip that, just be prepared that some of your Uconnect stuff may not work right away as everything boots back up. Some people report it works right away, some say overnight, but no harm either way.

If you go the OBD memory saver route, here is one I use. I connect this one to a Jackery power station: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BHX1X8?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Here is one that uses alligator clips and connects to another 12V. https://www.amazon.com/Vgate-Memory...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I don't think so, they will need a battery to connect to, their programming is based on reading a battery.

You can pick-up a USB Memory Saver from Amazon from $10-$15. Though most will require some sort of power source, like another 12v battery or a power station.

However you can just skip that, just be prepared that some of your Uconnect stuff may not work right away as everything boots back up. Some people report it works right away, some say overnight, but no harm either way.
You can use a battery tender as a memory saver as long as you have an adapter to plug into the obd2 connector on the car. They have alligator clip obd2 adapters on amazon too. With the adapter harness you can use a regular battery jump pack Screenshot_20230120_025529_Amazon Shopping.jpg

SD Rebel

Reaction score
You can use a battery tender as a memory saver as long as you have an adapter to plug into the obd2 connector on the car. They have alligator clip obd2 adapters on amazon too. With the adapter harness you can use a regular battery jump pack

Gotcha, so as a power source powering a memory saver device. My 2nd link actually posted an alligator clip OBD memory saver.

I have smart chargers with trickle functions, I don't think they would work in that capacity, they activate by reading a battery and adjusting automatically. They won't power on without an actual battery connection to read.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Gotcha, so as a power source powering a memory saver device. My 2nd link actually posted an alligator clip OBD memory saver.

I have smart chargers with trickle functions, I don't think they would work in that capacity, they activate by reading a battery and adjusting automatically. They won't power on without an actual battery connection to read.
The tenders plug into a wall outlet for theur power. The battery tender brand even makes one specifically for the tenders Screenshot_20230120_025955_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
That's cool, so it works with the Batttery Tender Amp Jr model at .75 amps as a memory saver. That will work if the OP has that brand of tender.
I don't have the obd2 harness I posted a picture of but I do have a non Battery Tender branded battery maintainer that has the same type of connection. I'm sure as with anything with would depend if the tender the op has has a compatible connection.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll look that up
I'm assuming yours has the type of connector as my off brand tender has it. If by chance you don't have that connector and only have the alligator clip style there still are obd2 connectors with alligator clips available that can be used

BiGJZ74

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info.....next question..Duralast platinum or Optima AGM Yellow. Picking up a battery from local Autozone....

BiGJZ74

Reaction score
I'm assuming yours has the type of connector as my off brand tender has it. If by chance you don't have that connector and only have the alligator clip style there still are obd2 connectors with alligator clips available that can be used
I have a Battery tender 5amp power tender
1674281988426.png

Users who are viewing this thread