5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery replaced at 30k miles after dealership said it was good..

kenthorkveen

Reaction score
So my wife went out of town for Thanksgiving, and within 2 days of being at her parents house, she went out to start the truck, and it wouldn't start at all.. With me being a truck driver, I couldn't really do much other than call the closet dealership, and see what they can do because it was still under warranty.. They told me that they could check it the next morning as soon as they got in.. So I had my wife's dad jump start the truck, and bring it to the dealership..

The dealership put the battery on the tester, and the results told them to put it on the charger because the volts where very low.. after the battery was charged, the battery tester said the battery was good, and they ran a draw test to see if the truck had a parasitic draw, and that came back good.. My truck was at the dealership for 2 days because the dealership lied about getting my truck in the "next morning".. They started on it a couple hours before they closed the day after they got it.. Even if the battery tested bad, they didn't have the battery in stock, so they would've had order it from a Warehouse.. Not only did they lied to me, they lost the positive terminal cover for the battery, and didn't say a word about it..

So the morning after she got it back from the dealership, My wife traveled back home 400 miles without a problem.. Then the second day of being home, the battery is dead once again..

Now I should say that the truck never sits for more than 2 days without being drove.. And its our only vehicle..

I called the dealership that we always get our truck serviced at, and they told me it was going to be a week before they could take a look at it.. so I called other dealers in the area, and it was the same story.. So I took matters into my own hands, and had the battery tested, and replaced on my own dime to see if that was the problem.. the test came back with 0CCA by the way..

A week later, and I haven't had a single problem..

I'm making this post just in case someone else has the same problem in the future, and for me to vent a little bit about the dealership.. it's not the first time I've dealt with that service department, and got lied too..

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would try and get reimbursed under warranty, may take some doing and be a while, but worth a shot. Take it up with RamCares on here, may get your money back on a pretty expensive battery.
Glad all is well now (y)

Reactions: c3k

kenthorkveen

Reaction score
I would try and get reimbursed under warranty, may take some doing and be a while, but worth a shot. Take it up with RamCares on here, may get your money back on a pretty expensive battery.
Glad all is well now (y)
If they show up on my post, I'll take it up with them.. but the cost doesn't bother me.. it was between my wife getting a rental car for 2 weeks and I'd have to cover a week of the cost, or spend the money on a battery to see if that was the issue.. and the battery was the cheaper option..

kenthorkveen

Reaction score
Glad all is well now (y)
If they show up on my post, I'll take it up with them.. but the cost doesn't bother me.. it was between my wife getting a rental car for 2 weeks and I'd have to cover a week of the cost, or spend the money on a battery to see if that was the issue.. and the battery was the cheaper option
Call them out,what dealer?
Tallassee Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram in Tallassee, Al.. it's in the middle of nowhere..

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Word of mouth knows no borders, Brigham Gill cdjr outside of Boston sucks. Planet is great, and just 10 miles away

Last edited:

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
So my wife went out of town for Thanksgiving, and within 2 days of being at her parents house, she went out to start the truck, and it wouldn't start at all.. With me being a truck driver, I couldn't really do much other than call the closet dealership, and see what they can do because it was still under warranty.. They told me that they could check it the next morning as soon as they got in.. So I had my wife's dad jump start the truck, and bring it to the dealership..

The dealership put the battery on the tester, and the results told them to put it on the charger because the volts where very low.. after the battery was charged, the battery tester said the battery was good, and they ran a draw test to see if the truck had a parasitic draw, and that came back good.. My truck was at the dealership for 2 days because the dealership lied about getting my truck in the "next morning".. They started on it a couple hours before they closed the day after they got it.. Even if the battery tested bad, they didn't have the battery in stock, so they would've had order it from a Warehouse.. Not only did they lied to me, they lost the positive terminal cover for the battery, and didn't say a word about it..

So the morning after she got it back from the dealership, My wife traveled back home 400 miles without a problem.. Then the second day of being home, the battery is dead once again..

Now I should say that the truck never sits for more than 2 days without being drove.. And its our only vehicle..

I called the dealership that we always get our truck serviced at, and they told me it was going to be a week before they could take a look at it.. so I called other dealers in the area, and it was the same story.. So I took matters into my own hands, and had the battery tested, and replaced on my own dime to see if that was the problem.. the test came back with 0CCA by the way..

I'm making this post just in case someone else has the same problem in the future, and for me to vent a little bit about the dealership.. it's not the first time I've dealt with that service department, and got lied too..
there are several posts here about the same battery issue you posted about

this is nothing new

these new electronics need to "see" a fully charged battery to keep working

you don't by any chance have the etorque do you ?

kenthorkveen

Reaction score
there are several posts here about the same battery issue you posted about

this is nothing new

these new electronics need to "see" a fully charged battery to keep working

you don't by any chance have the etorque do you ?
It's a regular 5.7 hemi.. non etorque.. And trust me, I have a lot of knowledge on the mechanical side of things.. but the reason I made this post is because the dealership said the battery was still good when it wasn't.. that's why I took matters into my own hands and had the battery replaced after it died again..

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
It's a regular 5.7 hemi.. non etorque.. And trust me, I have a lot of knowledge on the mechanical side of things.. but the reason I made this post is because the dealership said the battery was still good when it wasn't.. that's why I took matters into my own hands and had the battery replaced after it died again..
the other posts have said the exact same thing "dealer said battery ok"

when the replaced battery everything was OK

most all car factories used the crappiest battery they can buy.

my 2014 honda have a battery die in a year

kenthorkveen

Reaction score
the other posts have said the exact same thing "dealer said battery ok"

when the replaced battery everything was OK

most all car factories used the crappiest battery they can buy.

my 2014 honda have a battery die in a year
That's true.. I figured I'd take it to the dealership and let them do the test, and see what happens.. they did the job as they are taught to do per warranty.. the problem I had was the lies that I got from the service department.. this isn't the first time that they have lied to me about doing the job in the time that was said.. not only that, they didn't even put back on the positive post cover on the battery.. I may be crying over nothing, but this isn't the first time having problems out of this service department.. luckily, the dealership's I live around are very upfront, honest, and own up to their mistakes when they happen.. but when my wife goes out of town to go see her parents, and something goes wrong, I have no option to go to that said dealership..

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
You made the right choice in just replacing it yourself. I'd have done the same thing. Unless you enjoy doing it, the amount of time it can take, and stress that dealing with a crappy service department can cause, far exceeds the cost of a new battery.

photog0611

Reaction score

I agree it's all about the dealership that works on your problem and that some publicity as to which ones are good and which are bad may help others who encounter this all-too-common problem with the oem batteries. I had a similar experience with my 2021 1500 Liimited. Here in Colo, the Silverthorne CDJR dealership - well let's just say I won't let them work on my single speed bicycle, much less a $50K RAM 2500. Castle Rock CDJR did a professional job diagnosing and replacing a bad battery. THE OEM batteries are garbage and only some of the CDJR dealers are capable of dealing with that.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I work in service at the dealer, not dodge, but I don't understand the issue with dealers not getting people in for a week or more. My dealer takes anything in at anytime. A small battery issue can easily be a waiter scenerio. Even if you come in as soon as the dealer opens or 2 hrs before they close, they should be able to get you in as a waiter. Different when you have various complaints but if just a battery issue, shouldn't take weeks for a dealer to get you in.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Its not that you got lied too, dealer was probably just busy. sometimes warranty dictates whether dealers can just start throwing batteries at the vehicle. Not sure how dodge is with that stuff but I work for Mercedes and new vehicles have battery tests in the diagnostic unit that won't let you replace the battery if it tests good. if your car leaves and has the same issue and returns, you address it then.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree it's all about the dealership that works on your problem and that some publicity as to which ones are good and which are bad may help others who encounter this all-too-common problem with the oem batteries. I had a similar experience with my 2021 1500 Liimited. Here in Colo, the Silverthorne CDJR dealership - well let's just say I won't let them work on my single speed bicycle, much less a $50K RAM 2500. Castle Rock CDJR did a professional job diagnosing and replacing a bad battery. THE OEM batteries are garbage and only some of the CDJR dealers are capable of dealing with that.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
That it how I am. very hesitant to take my truck in. I see the work some techs do and I feel sorry for the customer. I am hesitant to take my truck in and I have a water leak already in my 21. Trying to diagnosis it myself and if its something minor, Ill fix it myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online