5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery reads 12.2

Oaccali

Reaction score
My battery has been working fine until the winter. 3rd time is dies. When I don’t use it for 2 days my 2019 ram 3500 won’t turn on. It currently reads 12.2. I have to jump it for it to start then it runs fine until I don’t use it for 2 days. I read some of the post and im assuming I have to buy a set of batteries, right?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Probably. To properly test your batteries (if they are flooded-type), you need a carbon-pile load tester. Most auto stores don't use those anymore and will most likely show they're good when they may not be.

Oaccali

Reaction score
Probably. To properly test your batteries (if they are flooded-type), you need a carbon-pile load tester. Most auto stores don't use those anymore and will most likely show they're good when they may not be.
Thank you for your reply, I have no idea which battery I have. Lol. It’s the stock moor battery I assume. I’ve been ready these batteries go bad so I’m pretty sure I have to get a pair of agm batteries. Looking at Duracell from sams or interstate from Costco. Thanks once again.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply, I have no idea which battery I have. Lol. It’s the stock moor battery I assume. I’ve been ready these batteries go bad so I’m pretty sure I have to get a pair of agm batteries. Looking at Duracell from sams or interstate from Costco. Thanks once again.
Chances are they're flooded lead-acid, but you would need to look at the label to see if there's an AGM on there anywhere. They won't be lithium, so you don't need to worry about that. Duracell are pretty good batteries for the price, and I'm partial to Interstate AGM. You really can't go wrong either way (y)

Oaccali

Reaction score
Chances are they're flooded lead-acid, but you would need to look at the label to see if there's an AGM on there anywhere. They won't be lithium, so you don't need to worry about that. Duracell are pretty good batteries for the price, and I'm partial to Interstate AGM. You really can't go wrong either way (y)
Update, I got the batteries tested at auto zone and 1 of the batteries came out to no good. Should I replace just one or both.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Update, I got the batteries tested at auto zone and 1 of the batteries came out to no good. Should I replace just one or both.
I would do both to be safe, but that’s just personal preference. I do both at the same time so I don’t have to deal with another issue halfway through the first battery’s life. It causes you to do twice the work for troubleshooting and repairs in my example scenario. A good analogy is changing spark plug wires during a tune-up on an old hemi. Sure only one wire is causing a problem, but you have 7 more potential issues. Do it all at once and you have peace of mind for a while.

zlman

Reaction score
1500 RAMS offer dual battery set ups? Never heard of this, what configuration requires this?

Redfour5

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem, but on a Renegade with the OEM battery... Mine reads 12.4 and will start...most of the time...but it reads as OK but not using a more sophisticated check. I did check and the dealer said you are still under warranty until May... We can check and if there is a problem, the battery will still be under warranty and be replaced. I have a weird dealership. They will screw you on the purchase if given any chance, but will do warranty work and do everything they can to get FCA (Stellantis) to pay for it... Odd birds.

Users who are viewing this thread