5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery question and layup period

vtcats

Reaction score
I’ve got a pre-emptive battery question. I have a new 2024 limited under 500 miles with no issues (starting, etc). I’ve read a few threads on here about issues with battery drain and dead battery. While I don’t believe that means I’ll have that issue (and yes I do have the app with all its services and no issue starting etc) it made me think /believe this truck may have more of a draw while sitting than past older SUV’s I’ve owned that were not so “electronic” or connected.
I’m going to be gone for approx 3 1/2 weeks this summer and wonder what’s anyone’s thoughts and/or experience with their truck not using it for that long and it’s battery condition upon return. Any issues with starting?
It will be stored in my garage so it won’t be too hot as it’s fairly insulated. I’d rather not have to keep a trickle charger on it while gone, but can do that if needed.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve got a pre-emptive battery question. I have a new 2024 limited under 500 miles with no issues (starting, etc). I’ve read a few threads on here about issues with battery drain and dead battery. While I don’t believe that means I’ll have that issue (and yes I do have the app with all its services and no issue starting etc) it made me think /believe this truck may have more of a draw while sitting than past older SUV’s I’ve owned that were not so “electronic” or connected.
I’m going to be gone for approx 3 1/2 weeks this summer and wonder what’s anyone’s thoughts and/or experience with their truck not using it for that long and it’s battery condition upon return. Any issues with starting?
It will be stored in my garage so it won’t be too hot as it’s fairly insulated. I’d rather not have to keep a trickle charger on it while gone, but can do that if needed.
Personally, zid just throw a battery tender on it while you are gone. Either that, or unhook the negative battery cable.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I would just wing it. Better to find out if it can handle it now then if you are on the road.
Or disconnect the battery while you are gone. It should know to 100% shut everything off if voltage gets too low to be able to start normally.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mine (see sig) is routinely sitting 2 weeks, thats all she uses it. No battery tender, no cable disconnect. Always starts and when I bother to scroll thru the settings for the "generator" voltage when running, it's almost always at 14v. Since I have the mandatory ET, there's no alternator.

Like DS above said, just try it, you might as well see how it lasts. Pulling the negative cable could cause a reset or return to defaults, something I don't think I want to do. Otherwise, the inexpensive 1.25 or 1.5 amp tender is a choice.

My same trim 2019 was one of the many that had battery issues (back then), at 22 months the stock battery failed completely, despite weekly longer runs and use of a tender.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Mine (see sig) is routinely sitting 2 weeks, thats all she uses it. No battery tender, no cable disconnect. Always starts and when I bother to scroll thru the settings for the "generator" voltage when running, it's almost always at 14v. Since I have the mandatory ET, there's no alternator.

Like DS above said, just try it, you might as well see how it lasts. Pulling the negative cable could cause a reset or return to defaults, something I don't think I want to do. Otherwise, the inexpensive 1.25 or 1.5 amp tender is a choice.

My same trim 2019 was one of the many that had battery issues (back then), at 22 months the stock battery failed completely, despite weekly longer runs and use of a tender.
The 2024s have been having some battery drain problems due to ram connect which is different then my 22 or your 19. I assume anyone without that problem would be safe by now and OP would of already had that problem.

Voltage will always look normal with etorque while the engine is on.
Before I replaced my battery I was able to hit 10.9v on the battery but when it turned on I was able to get 14v charging dispute the battery being bad.

Also the inside menu for voltage is worthless as to get it to it you need to turn all the electronics on in the truck which puts a huge draw on it, typically showing .5-1v lower then the actual charge if you checked the battery directly. The voltage while the engine is on is accurate on the dash though.

vtcats

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I’m in agreement, better to know, so I’ll leave it as is when I leave. I back into the garage so it’s easy to get to the front/battery if I need to charge or jump when I’m back.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I’m in agreement, better to know, so I’ll leave it as is when I leave. I back into the garage so it’s easy to get to the front/battery if I need to charge or jump when I’m back.
Good idea to get it backed in and also the small lithium jump chargers are your friend. I have a "Gooloo" after quite a bit of research online, its what saved me with my 2019 (in 2020).

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
The 2024s have been having some battery drain problems due to ram connect which is different then my 22 or your 19. I assume anyone without that problem would be safe by now and OP would of already had that problem.

Voltage will always look normal with etorque while the engine is on.
Before I replaced my battery I was able to hit 10.9v on the battery but when it turned on I was able to get 14v charging dispute the battery being bad.

Also the inside menu for voltage is worthless as to get it to it you need to turn all the electronics on in the truck which puts a huge draw on it, typically showing .5-1v lower then the actual charge if you checked the battery directly. The voltage while the engine is on is accurate on the dash though.
Checking my 2019 with a meter when it was sitting in the garage 12+ hours after driving, it often was 12.1-12.2, that's why I had it on a tender. The 2023 ET must "feed" the start battery, which works for me.

Users who are viewing this thread