5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery or ECU Issue?

Reaction score
Just as an update. I did get a new battery today. I have started my truck 4 times since and it has been flawless. It looks like that has done the trick. Thanks for all of the advice. Hopefully this thread helps someone else out that has the same issue. I will update if something changes in the future.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Service department battery testers are the most worthless special tool that the service departments have. As a technician we keep known bad batteries on our toolboxes to use for test results when we know a car has a bad battery yet it either says charge and retest or good battery. Can never get a battery to fail when we know it is bad yet when the battery is good we can get it to fail.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just as an update. I did get a new battery today. I have started my truck 4 times since and it has been flawless. It looks like that has done the trick. Thanks for all of the advice. Hopefully this thread helps someone else out that has the same issue. I will update if something changes in the future.

I read you bought H7 but is it AGM or regular flooded battery? You should have went with H8 AGM battery.

fatNfurious

Reaction score
Yep mine was the same issue. The dealer replaced the battery since I was still in warranty. I am glad that your truck is working well!!!

Fastman21

Reaction score
19 rebel 5.7 e torque purchased Dec of 18. 26000 miles. I left it sitting in below freezing temps for 4 days. Went to remote start and no flash of the lights nothing. Got in hit the start and tried but nothing. put a jump pack on it and got it to start. I thought ok. Far enough. Pulled it up to the garage and put my charger on at 30 amps. The charge will kick down to 2 amps when full. Checked on it several times after hours of charging it never dropped to the 2amp setting. Hmmm. Disconnect the charger check it with a meter. 12.6 volts. Started the truck no problem. Let it run a minute, shut it off put my tester on it. 90% charge 650 cranking amps. Checks bad for high resistance. I forgot I was a member of this forum and started checking for a battery on line. Settled for A diehard AGM h7. My truck has never been anywhere other than the dealer and I wasn't going to allow them to do it. I decided to take the battery with me for the core charge and do it myself. I pull the battery and the bottom of the tray was filled with half frozen acid. I'm glad it didn't have any drain holes in it. I soak everything up with shop tiles and rinse it three times and dry it all out. Take to the advance auto and the guy says do you need that tested ? No its my core charge. He says I will sell you a battery but we should at least check it. Has his coworker check it and says its a good battery it's just low on charge. I need a new battery. Let me look it up. I have it here on my phone. This is the one I want . Bring it home, test it , a little low from sitting on the shelf, top up the charge, install it and start up. Voltage in dash 14.7. I let it warm up a little and start turning things on. Heated seats and wheel. rear window defrost, mirror defrost and drops to 14.6 at Idle. Next day go out start it , check engine light is gone. Had to re pair my phone and put my radio presets back in. So far so good. Nuff said.

Users who are viewing this thread