5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery dead?

kjk05006

Reaction score
I have been having issues with my truck starting and now it’s happening more frequently.

When I go to start the truck it clicks like it’s about to start and then nothing. It seems like it would be a dead battery but all the lights, dash and screens are on. I put on the jump box and almost immediately the truck starts. When off for more than a few minutes, it does the same thing.

I had a diagnostic run at autozone and according to their machine the battery, starting system and alternator are all good.

I’m thinking it’s an electrical communication issue. Anyone else run into this and have a fix?

rws1944

Reaction score
Don't waste any more of your time trying to figure out if the battery is any good, it's not. Numerous posts here about OEM battery issues. I replaced my battery at about 10k with an Interstate AGM H8 for around $250 and have had no issues since.

kjk05006

Reaction score
Don't waste any more of your time trying to figure out if the battery is any good, it's not. Numerous posts here about OEM battery issues. I replaced my battery at about 10k with an Interstate AGM H8 for around $250 and have had no issues since.
Ok thank you. I will get the new battery tomorrow.

There is currently an h7, does anything need to be done to fit the h8?

kjk05006

Reaction score
Yeah, pop the little plastic spacer out of the tray. It will be obvious what to do when the battery is out.
Well that’s simple. Looking forward to getting the new battery. Hopefully tomorrow.

Any brands to stay away from? Recommendations?

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
It might be a little late but I just got an Interstate H8 battery from Costco yesterday for $135! The tag said $185 and the guy said it wasn’t discounted but when he rang it up it was $135. So there might be “marginally better” batteries out there, but they’re all going to be at least double the price so I’d just go with the Interstate if I were you👍🏼

river rat

Reaction score
I've had good results with Duralast from Autozone. A big plus is they include a 3 yr replacement warranty.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've had good results with Duralast from Autozone. A big plus is they include a 3 yr replacement warranty.
Opposite to your experience always ended up using the pro rated warranty until I gave up.

kjk05006

Reaction score
Replaced the battery with a Duralast platinum AGM H8 from auto zone and seemed to fix the problem. Simple install once the plastic H7 adapter was removed from the tray.

Only issue is the felt sleeve that goes around the H7 factory battery doesn't fit the new H8. What is the purpose of this? Do I need to find one that will fit?

ronmac7609

Reaction score
I replaced my battery and it still wouldn't start - intermittent. Back and forth to dealer and finally needed a tow. Ended up being a bad starter at about 38,000 miles. 2019 1500 Big Horn.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Replaced the battery with a Duralast platinum AGM H8 from auto zone and seemed to fix the problem. Simple install once the plastic H7 adapter was removed from the tray.

Only issue is the felt sleeve that goes around the H7 factory battery doesn't fit the new H8. What is the purpose of this? Do I need to find one that will fit?
It's not needed. I ditched the one on our Limited when I replaced the battery. Besides maybe insulating the battery from engine heat, all I know it does is give rodents something to make nests out of. :ROFLMAO:

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's not needed. I ditched the one on our Limited when I replaced the battery. Besides maybe insulating the battery from engine heat, all I know it does is give rodents something to make nests out of. :ROFLMAO:

Can someone confirm that the HD 2500 trucks come stock with H8 batteries? If so, will this battery "heat shield" work? 2016-2022 Mopar Battery Heat Shield 68494324AA | Mopar Online Parts

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Fits a 2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn 5.7 which is my vehicle and has a H7 battery. It appears not from what I can gather.

Users who are viewing this thread