5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery dead after 3 weeks

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
I was out of the country for 3 weeks, upon return I found out the battery dead. Jump started it and half the apps in Uconnect was gone. That came back after a few hours or rest. XM radio app is completely gone. Took it to the service center for oil change and recall and told them about it and they said to put a float charger on when leaving the vehicle for extended period. It wasn’t even that cold here last 3 weeks. While I can put a float charger on, they said that these vehicles doesn’t completely shut down when turned off, which makes sense since unless some radio is on it won’t receive the signal for remote start etc. however, now I am not sure if I want to take the truck to a airport and leave it there for 2 weeks and if I do, I am not sure it will start upon my return.

Anyone else experience the same?

Grouper

Reaction score
... now I am not sure if I want to take the truck to a airport and leave it there for 2 weeks and if I do, I am not sure it will start upon my return.

Anyone else experience the same?

I travel internationally for a living and routinely leave my current truck (2010 Silverado) parked at the airport for two weeks...at times, longer. I've never come home to a dead battery.

I'm waiting to see what the holiday season incentives will be for 2020 Rams, as I have been planning to place an order. If others chime-in that two(ish) weeks of non-use is an issue, this will give me pause in choosing the Ram.

I'm also concerned about reports of the A/C not blowing cold enough, since I live in Florida.

Last edited:

Oliver392

Reaction score
You should have asked the dealer if they keep chargers on all the trucks that they have on their lots (store lot and storage). A lot of trucks sit a lot longer than 3 weeks.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
According to the "factory" you can put the truck in "SHIP MODE" and this will (supposedly) take care of the parasitic drain.

We get a lot of vehicles at the dealership that are not and the new batteries are totally dead and have to be warrantied out to be replaced.

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
According to the "factory" you can put the truck in "SHIP MODE" and this will (supposedly) take care of the parasitic drain.

We get a lot of vehicles at the dealership that are not and the new batteries are totally dead and have to be warrantied out to be replaced.

How do you put it in a ship mode?

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How do you put it in a ship mode?

I was thinking mine was in my menu settings (8.4) - but since I had my coffee, I believe that is Transportation mode (since I have air ride) for towing the vehicle .. I'd have to dig into the 12 inch and see if it comes standard or if the "easy" settings are added with the particular package. I see you also have L2 Equip Grp.

If no other guru replies, I can see if I can locate the document at work tomorrow. A lot of youtube persons say to try the
-hazards on
-hold UP ARROW until screen shows SHIP MODE ON/OFF
-hazards off

I'd have to ask my Inbound Vehicle folks what they do to get the vehicles out of Ship Mode

Grouper

Reaction score
Have any other had the same experience as the OP? Or was it a fluke?

Users who are viewing this thread