5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery blanket confirmation

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Today I upgraded to an H8 AGM battery. But before I did that, I did my research and ordered a new battery blanket.

Part 5033397AE is in fact the correct size for anyone who plans to do this in the future.

Note: I had jumper cables hooked from an engine bolt and a lug on the underhood fuse box over to my Jeep to retain battery memory while I did the swap.

IMG_0140.jpg

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I just did the H8 swap. What exactly is the purpose of the blanket?

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
Thanks for the info! I just did the H8 swap. What exactly is the purpose of the blanket?
Among other things:
To mitigate the temperature-induced stresses inherent to living in an engine compartment.
To help maintain a consistent battery temperature so charging cycles do not shorten battery life. These days, battery charge rate is controlled by the ECU, which sets power available to the alternator for charging based on battery temperature. Some, if not most, vehicles will have a battery temp sensor, usually in contact with the underside of the battery, so the charge rate can be moderated.
The cynical among us might also add that this blanket makes checking electrolyte level more difficult, for those who choose not to trust a "maintenance-free" battery.

Steve

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Among other things:
To mitigate the temperature-induced stresses inherent to living in an engine compartment.
To help maintain a consistent battery temperature so charging cycles do not shorten battery life. These days, battery charge rate is controlled by the ECU, which sets power available to the alternator for charging based on battery temperature. Some, if not most, vehicles will have a battery temp sensor, usually in contact with the underside of the battery, so the charge rate can be moderated.
The cynical among us might also add that this blanket makes checking electrolyte level more difficult, for those who choose not to trust a "maintenance-free" battery.

Steve
Thanks for the info I didn’t know any of that

Jopipe17

Reaction score
Today I upgraded to an H8 AGM battery. But before I did that, I did my research and ordered a new battery blanket.

Part 5033397AE is in fact the correct size for anyone who plans to do this in the future.

Note: I had jumper cables hooked from an engine bolt and a lug on the underhood fuse box over to my Jeep to retain battery memory while I did the swap.

View attachment 145405

Awesome, I have a new h8 otw. Did you purchase your h8 battery blanket from Mopar or another site? Thanks alot

denjen

Reaction score
I can confirm those little $*%@#! do like the battery blanket and had my new truck less than a week. I guess they liked the new truck smell as much as I do.... 🤨

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The purpose of a battery blanket is to insulate the battery from extreme cold temperatures. They serve no real value in warm or moderate climates.

tcurtis73

Reaction score

View attachment 145405
Do you have the link for the new blanket? What brand of battery did you go with? Thanks in advance.

Jake1050

Reaction score
When I look at the battery blanked for h8 after shipping costs I couldn't find it for under $25. I can make one for $15.

Users who are viewing this thread