5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bass rattle

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, I am new to the site. Please explain your post.

No worries my friend! Saying "subscribe" often means someone is having similar issues and will be following the thread to see what users have to say for a fix. I have a Limited with the HK stereo and the rattling in the back drives me nuts....with that being said, I haven't actually went to the back seat to listen to what is rattling (seems like the sliding rear window)

jamesfg

Reaction score
With my "Alpine" set up I've narrowed the rattle down to the back wall. I ordered some Dynomat today, I'll be removing the sub enclosure and putting Dynomat on the back wall, I'm sure that'll cure the problem.

jamesfg

Reaction score
I had already planned to remove the door panels and Dynomat the inside skins so might as well just go for broke. I'll be tearing it apart on Saturday.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Has anyone pinpointed the source of the bass rattle? I have my bass setting at -3 and it still rattles on certain bass notes.
I have a laramie with the HK sound system and have noticed a few rattles (fix one and find another) so I've done some searching and found that if the rear window is cracked open about an inch or two the rattle goes away, so then i jumped in the back seat and started looking a bit closer. What i found was if you push against the top of the sliding window on the driver side the rattle goes away. I plan on putting some foam in the window channel.

P.S. when i got out of the front seat and opened the back door i noticed there was a rattle on both of the doors on the latch side (no big deal it goes away when the door is shut)

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went by the car stereo shop today and he took some felt adhesive and wedged it in the left side of the sliding window and it seemed to quit. Then we tried a different song and it came back but now from the the back panel. He made a comment that it sounds like there is a cable or something back there causing the noise. He said he would take it apart and dynamat the area and could resolve it for about 400. I am not excited about having to pay that so I may tackle it myself.

IA_Dawg

Reaction score
I went by the car stereo shop today and he took some felt adhesive and wedged it in the left side of the sliding window and it seemed to quit. Then we tried a different song and it came back but now from the the back panel. He made a comment that it sounds like there is a cable or something back there causing the noise. He said he would take it apart and dynamat the area and could resolve it for about 400. I am not excited about having to pay that so I may tackle it myself.
Wow! $400

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

You can do it. Attached you'll find everything you might need to reference to feel more comfortable with taking on the project.

Attachments

• C Pillar Trim Lower - Removal and Installation.pdf
    34.7 KB · Views: 177
  • C Pillar Trim Upper - Removal and Installation.pdf
    33.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Cab Back Trim - Removal and Installation.pdf
    39.9 KB · Views: 110
  • Seat - Removal and Installation - 40% Recline Seat.pdf
    315.8 KB · Views: 103
  • Seat - Removal and Installation - 60% Recline Seat.pdf
    300.7 KB · Views: 93
  • Seat Belt Retractor - Removal and Installation - Rear Center.pdf
    84 KB · Views: 70
  • Seat Belt Retractor - Removal and Installation - Rear Outboard.pdf
    69.5 KB · Views: 63

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think it's that out of line if you took into consideration total labor time per hour and materials.
You can do it. Attached you'll find everything you might need to reference to feel more comfortable with taking on the project.

Thanks!

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have some serious bass rattling in the rear of the truck with certain hard hitting bass music (HK stereo). Disappointing considering the price of the vehicle. You'd think the morons who designed it would have extensively tested how well things were dampened. The balance of the system is pretty **** too in my opinion... seems heavily biased towards the front, and lacking in treble.

Is it awful? No, but I do notice these things vs other vehicles I've had, which is why it's annoying me.

IA_Dawg

Reaction score
I have some serious bass rattling in the rear of the truck with certain hard hitting bass music (HK stereo). Disappointing considering the price of the vehicle. You'd think the morons who designed it would have extensively tested how well things were dampened. The balance of the system is pretty **** too in my opinion... seems heavily biased towards the front, and lacking in treble.

Is it awful? No, but I do notice these things vs other vehicles I've had, which is why it's annoying me.
Exactly. Why should I have to tear it apart or pay someone else to do it, to make sure it doesn't rattle. I would have no problem doing this, if I put in aftermarket speakers.

Last edited:

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have narrowed down the rattle and eliminated it totally except for the rear doors. I am going to take the rear doors apart and add some dynamat or equivalent.

Attached is the picture of where the issues were, so I took some thin double sided foam tape and used my plastic tools to shove it between sliding window and frame where the arrows are. I think some felt tape would be better and would allow the window to continue to function. I wished I had a solid window anyhow, never would use the slider. I hope this helps some folks out.
rattlewindow.JPG

borant

Reaction score
I have rattle from loose twitter grill in driver's door. @I Love Grits could you please share guides for removing door trims as well?

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have narrowed down the rattle and eliminated it totally except for the rear doors. I am going to take the rear doors apart and add some dynamat or equivalent.

Attached is the picture of where the issues were, so I took some thin double sided foam tape and used my plastic tools to shove it between sliding window and frame where the arrows are. I think some felt tape would be better and would allow the window to continue to function. I wished I had a solid window anyhow, never would use the slider. I hope this helps some folks out.
View attachment 2209
Nice work @sticker500 and good pic, I love bass and will remember that. I wonder what’s the fastest way to advise Ram so they can secure that little spot for all the future owners (and for service departments for when they get the old “it makes some funny noises, sometimes, somewhere back there...)?

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Attachments

• Power Windows - Switch - Removal and Installation.pdf
    169.5 KB · Views: 207
  • Front Door - Door Trim Panel - Removal and Installation.pdf
    491.3 KB · Views: 111
  • Rear Door - Door Trim Panel - Removal and Installation.pdf
    508.7 KB · Views: 116

Users who are viewing this thread