5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Base to alpine swap

saturn298

Reaction score
Has anyone swapped the Base 4 door speakers out for factory alpine? I have availability on a set and curious to see if it’s worth the little time to put them in.
I know most will say spend the money on infinity’s, just a curious thought I had.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You could but not sure how much of a difference they will make since they arent amplified. The base 6 speaker system is 8 ohm and the Alpine is 4 ohm and gets an amplified signal. Honestly replacing the dash speakers with the Infinitys made a world of difference in my truck. Not sure I'll mess with the doors unless I decide to amplify them.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
You can upgrade all of them with a nice set of Infinity. But IMO, you need to go all in with an amp to have a big difference.

Brrryan

Reaction score
Pretty safe bet you’d be able build an aftermarket set-up for less $$, less headache, and end up with a far better quality system. I have the base 6 speaker...upgraded the dash 3.5s and added a small sub. Initially planned on doing the doors, but I’m beyond happy with the current result.

saturn298

Reaction score
You can upgrade all of them with a nice set of Infinity. But IMO, you need to go all in with an amp to have a big difference.
I have a factory hk sub need an amp. Since the truck was picked trough. But as for speakers not looking to go to crazy. Just a little better sound. If I can wire alpines in Id be happy. Local bone yard has a ram with factory alpine but amp is gone.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I have a factory hk sub need an amp. Since the truck was picked trough. But as for speakers not looking to go to crazy. Just a little better sound. If I can wire alpines in Id be happy. Local bone yard has a ram with factory alpine but amp is gone.
If you get a good deal on them, I guess you can swap the base speakers for the Alpine ones, they're way better.... if getting an aftermarket speaker from a good brand is going to cost you the same amount, I'd go with the aftermarket option.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wiring to hook them up?
I know there is no wiring for middle speaker of dash on base. If you want to swap just speakers I’m sure that’s plug and play. I do believe the 2 systems are diff ohms on speakers. If you want full factory alpine system in stock set, that will take a lot of wiring. As mentioned above, better off with aftermarket/make own set up.

saturn298

Reaction score
I know there is no wiring for middle speaker of dash on base. If you want to swap just speakers I’m sure that’s plug and play. I do believe the 2 systems are diff ohms on speakers. If you want full factory alpine system in stock set, that will take a lot of wiring. As mentioned above, better off with aftermarket/make own set up.

I’ll have to check into a tad more maybe. I was looking to do just doors, and I’ll be adding the HK sub. Im easily pleased with a little more sound and bass.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll have to check into a tad more maybe. I was looking to do just doors, and I’ll be adding the HK sub. Im easily pleased with a little more sound and bass.
Then go for it, i believe it's going to be enough for you.

ncsu92

Reaction score
Pretty safe bet you’d be able build an aftermarket set-up for less $$, less headache, and end up with a far better quality system. I have the base 6 speaker...upgraded the dash 3.5s and added a small sub. Initially planned on doing the doors, but I’m beyond happy with the current result.
Can you provide details on the speakers, amp, and the process you followed?

Users who are viewing this thread