5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Base 6 speaker system upgrade

PeteyK49

Reaction score
What are some good speakers that I can drop in my basic 6 speaker no amp system that the base 8.4 uconnect can handle? I’d rather not have to modify stuff or install an amp. The stock speakers are horrible and don’t t get loud enough for me. They also make the volume go up and down after volume 27 . Thanks

Unfortunately speakers wont help much, the base head unit is awful with the volume dropping. Better to install a small amp to power the oem speakers

People have had success at various levels of modification for the base 6-speaker system.

There are quite a few threads talking about the audio systems. Here are a few to wet your whistle:

For just the 6-speaker system:

The mother of all threads (includes stuff about all 3 systems - base, Alpine, and HarmonKardon):

Some things to note about the base 6-speaker audio system:

1. The dash speakers are 8 ohm impedance and have bass blockers (hi pass filter) on the speaker.
2. The door speakers are 2 ohm impedance.
3. The dash and front door speakers are in parallel so any non-OEM impedances will have an affect on the sound balance and staging.
4. The signal coming out of the head unit is high level to the speakers so the unit under the driver's seat is just the ANC. There is no external amplifier like the Alpine and HK systems.

Everything is subjective as everyone's desires, budgets, and what is aurally pleasing is different for everybody. What works for one may not work for another.

Plenty of other threads out there with more information if you want to search.

I would like to add to this. I have reason to believe that only the vehicles with ANC have the 2 ohm speakers. I have a 2020 eco diesel without the ANC with the 6 speaker system and my speakers in the doors are 4 ohm. The dash speakers are 8 ohm. @RamCares As a employee at the plant in Sterling Heights that builds these trucks and just bought a new 2020 model, this base 6 speaker system has horrible sound processing. Can someone come up with a software update to re-tailor the sound profile in this system? Or better yet, redesign a amp with more power output?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back