5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Base 6 speaker questions

BravoZero

Reaction score
So I bought a 2020 Rebel with the base 6 speaker system, and didn't realize there was an option for the Alpine system, like what I had in my 2018 Charger Scat Pack which sounded awesome. I noticed that when my phone (iPhone 6s+) is connected and I'm playing music through Carplay (maybe even the normal media player as well), anything above sound level 21 or 22 starts auto-limiting sound and it sounds horrible. I've deactivated the sound enhancements and messed with the EQ, same thing.

Questions are as follows:
1) is this normal with the base 6 speaker system or could it be a sound issue from my phone to the head unit? maybe the speakers can't handle the extra power at higher volume?
2) would aftermarket speakers, without messing with upgrading the wiring or amp, help with this volume limiting issue and if so, would I need to upgrade the factory amp?

I apologize if this has been mentioned before, I'm a forum noob. Thanks.

SacRebel

Reaction score
The 6-speaker system isn’t simple to upgrade. I’d start with the easy dash speakers and then go from there.

St Pete Ron

Reaction score
The 6 speaker system is a little bit to upgrade, 4 door speakers 6"x9" and 2 dash speakers 3.5". Depending on the speakers you might need to add 4 ohm resistors to them to bring them up to 8 ohm. It took me about 2.5 hours to do everything, use the beach function to find the link as there is a couple good tutorials on how to do this and a few different speakers to use. you might have to use 1/2" spacers on the front door speakers so they fit. I used Infinity speakers front and back and Kickers in the dash, at 26 still clear and much louder!

51moe

Reaction score
So I bought a 2020 Rebel with the base 6 speaker system, and didn't realize there was an option for the Alpine system, like what I had in my 2018 Charger Scat Pack which sounded awesome. I noticed that when my phone (iPhone 6s+) is connected and I'm playing music through Carplay (maybe even the normal media player as well), anything above sound level 21 or 22 starts auto-limiting sound and it sounds horrible. I've deactivated the sound enhancements and messed with the EQ, same thing.

Questions are as follows:
1) is this normal with the base 6 speaker system or could it be a sound issue from my phone to the head unit? maybe the speakers can't handle the extra power at higher volume?
2) would aftermarket speakers, without messing with upgrading the wiring or amp, help with this volume limiting issue and if so, would I need to upgrade the factory amp?

I apologize if this has been mentioned before, I'm a forum noob. Thanks.

Mine does the same...I dont know if anyone answered the question tho. Do the speakers have anything to do with the "auto-limiting"?

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have not experienced or heard of auto limiting issues. If you are playing thru CarPlay I would suggest checking the volume level in your iPhone is turned all the way up. It will also depend on the source and quality of the music being played. That said there are some great but long threads on updating your base 6 speaker stereo. The dash speakers are cheap, quick and easy. The doors speakers aren’t expensive, a little bit more involved but not too much, just popping the panels are a little of a pain but the sound difference is big. Changing the doors might run you into ANC issues, best to read up in that in the other threads. Last phase would be to do an amp and possibly subs. But you can go in that order and see what you think.

Ringer

Reaction score
I just upgraded my 2019 BigHorn. Replaced the front 2 dash speakers, front door 6x9's, added a 500w JL amp, and a 10" JL sub.

The issue is the sound cancelling. If you simply disconnect the two sound cancelling mic's in the roof, stereo works perfect. I also have a Carven exhaust and a Veraman intake, and with the Automatic Noise Cancelling speakers disconnected, the ambient road noise\exhaust note etc isnt noticed to me.

The upgrade to my complete JL system, is insane compared to the stock crap.

This explains it.

BravoZero

Reaction score
Appreciate the responses folks. About the noise cancelling mics, are those the ones in the rear or up front? And would disconnecting those affect phone calls?

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Appreciate the responses folks. About the noise cancelling mics, are those the ones in the rear or up front? And would disconnecting those affect phone calls?

they do not affect phone calls. It’s easiest to disconnect the anc mic wires at the anc under the drivers seat. You can: unpin them, purchase an anc bypass harness or snip them (I don’t recommend snipping)

Turbo1895

Reaction score
they do not affect phone calls. It’s easiest to disconnect the anc mic wires at the anc under the drivers seat. You can: unpin them, purchase an anc bypass harness or snip them (I don’t recommend snipping)
You can order a $24 harness from netaudio to bypass the ANC really easily with no invasive measures. You can also remove it and be back to stock in under 5 minutes. Here is the link.

I also highly recommend you read through part or all of this thread as it covers any and all questions you could have except maybe the auto limiting feature. I personally have never heard of that feature or complaint before.

Happy Reading and Good Luck. There are many guys that have upgraded the 6 speaker base system and transformed into a monster of a system including myself. The system is complicated at first, but with some research you can figure it all out, that is how I did it and don't be afraid to ask questions, guys on this forum are awesome and super helpful. I stumbled across this forum and I am very thankful I did.

Users who are viewing this thread