5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ball and hitch recommendation?

wsutard1

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a ball and hitch that has a few inches of adjustability, multi ball and maybe has shock absorption?

I’m setting my new 1500 up to tow my pontoon boat. Figured I’d look for an adjustable setup vs the sold setup I have now.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a ball and hitch that has a few inches of adjustability, multi ball and maybe has shock absorption?

I’m setting my new 1500 up to tow my pontoon boat. Figured I’d look for an adjustable setup vs the sold setup I have now.
How crazy budget are we talking? Gen-Y makes some seriously good hitches that check all your boxes but they certainly are not cheap! If you don’t mind lack of shock absorbers price drops quite a bit and there are a few companies that make decent drop hitches like B&W and Weigh Safe

kmsteinick

Reaction score
B&W tow and stow are nice heavy duty adjustable hitches but no cushion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gen-Y is definitely the best option out there for what you want. Just be prepared to shell out a pretty penny.

wsutard1

Reaction score
I use a 4" adjustable (4" rise or drop) Anderson to tow my boat. It's greaseless and easy to swap between two different ball sizes. You can get a 1 7/8 and 2" combo or 2" and 2 5/16 combo.
I've towed with it for 2 seasons now and love it.

4" Rapid Hitch
B&W Tow and Stow here and no regrets.
How much movement do you feel due to the 4 different pin points?

I just figured out I need a 2.75” rise for my boat. Was thinking of getting the 3” drop/3.5” rise model.

wsutard1

Reaction score
I use a 4" adjustable (4" rise or drop) Anderson to tow my boat. It's greaseless and easy to swap between two different ball sizes. You can get a 1 7/8 and 2" combo or 2" and 2 5/16 combo.
I've towed with it for 2 seasons now and love it.

4" Rapid Hitch
This one is interesting. How much movement do you feel vs a solid?

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Always going to have some movement but I think Anderson did a good job with machining the pin with the pin slots. The noise is very minimal with the greasless ball.

Last edited:

Talon4U2NV

Reaction score
How much movement do you feel due to the 4 different pin points?

I just figured out I need a 2.75” rise for my boat. Was thinking of getting the 3” drop/3.5” rise model.
No movement, pulled a small v nose enclosed this weekend and my utility trailer and then moved my open car trailer... love it. Should have when this route way way sooner.. I always used the B&W Turnover ball in my 3/4 and 1 tons.. and standard receivers prior. This simplifies all that. I always had 2-3 in my truck prior. I keep the pins etc lubbed up with white lithium grease and in fall/winter/early spring I remove it and put it under the back seat. Summer time it just hangs out in "stow" mode. You wont regret it, esp if you have multiple trailers..

Users who are viewing this thread