5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BAKFLIP X4S OR RETRAX ONE

Which Cover?

• BAKFLIP X4S

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • RETRAX ONE XR

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • RETRAX ONE MX

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Looking to get myself a new tonneau cover installed RamBar so sold my Bakflip MX4.

I have narrowed it down to the Revolver X4S and the Retrax One (XR or XM]

Other then the con of losing some bed space with the Retrax, I do like it. I don't use my full capacity of my bed all the time, pretty infrequently actually.

I don't need the rail system that Retrax has, but for the $120 (cdn) difference I'd rather have it and not need it, then to not have it and need it. The attachable systems seem to be pricey.

I want the Pro, but in Canada it's $900 more and I can't justify that despite the warranty and extra top capacity. I don't need to walk on it or load on top of it. I also don't need top security either.

So if you were to choose between the 2. Would it be the Bakflip X4S or RetraxOne? More then likely would pay the extra for the XR rails.

I've come to terms with the loss of bed space with the Retrax, so it's a non issue.

Reaction score
Also, has anyone had issues in the winter with snow and ice on the Retrax? Like rolling up or having it freeze or any other issues inside the cannister itself?

Apeman

Reaction score
I had Baks previous version of that roll up on my F150. I had it 7 years. For the most part it was good. Here's the bad -
Mine got HOT in the summer. You had to be careful you didn't touch the aluminum slats as you rolled it up or you'd burn your arm. Not sure if this new one gets that hot.
I had a few problems in during winter. If you left it rolled up even for a day when it was cold it didn't want to unroll and I had to fight to get it latched. The pivoting rails would sometimes freeze and it didn't want to open. I had to use a hair dryer once to get into it.
It did hold weight well though. Had a few storms with a foot of wet snow on it without a problem. I live in upstate NY

Reaction score
The deciding factor for the x4s for me was losing bed space and expense.
Honestly, the expense isn't a factor for me between the X4S and the RetraxONE as it's only $400cdn difference ($300us) -- Now Between The RetraxONE vs PRO, then expense becomes a factor for me because in Canada it's like $900 more.

As for bed space - I think that is was is causing me to be so undecisive about this decision. I don't want to lose bed space on one hand, but on the other hand in the last 3 years, I have owned my truck I could honestly say there might be 5 times where the covered would have hindered me slightly. So as much as it's bothersome, it's not something that would frequently happen.

The Retrax XR rails seem to also add some value if you were to add racks, as the accessories are endless it seems. I don't currently plan on using them if I go with this cover, but down the road I may use them for bikes, kayaks, etc...

Decisions, decisions lol.

Reaction score
I had Baks previous version of that roll up on my F150. I had it 7 years. For the most part it was good. Here's the bad -
Mine got HOT in the summer. You had to be careful you didn't touch the aluminum slats as you rolled it up or you'd burn your arm. Not sure if this new one gets that hot.
I had a few problems in during winter. If you left it rolled up even for a day when it was cold it didn't want to unroll and I had to fight to get it latched. The pivoting rails would sometimes freeze and it didn't want to open. I had to use a hair dryer once to get into it.
It did hold weight well though. Had a few storms with a foot of wet snow on it without a problem. I live in upstate NY

I don't think any cover is perfect, and they all have flaws. I also don't think any cover works as well in the winter. Just the natural of the beast.

Thanks for the input

vinnieloo

Reaction score
Friend of mine has the revolver X4S. Does not work well in upstate NY winters. Ice caused opening and closing issues.

Reaction score
Pulled the trigger on the RetraxONE XR... $2179 CDN which is def more then I wanted to spend on a cover, so I wasn't about to pay another $800+ on the RetraxPRO... I don't open and close daily and I don't use my bed all that often.

The add-ons for the rails are pricey, but I have a DIY idea that I have seen online. To you make make your own rails to attach Kayak racks, Bike Racks, Storage Racks etc... At a fraction of the price.

If I don't like it, I'll sell and try the X4S.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went with the Retrax ONE XR & I’ve been very happy with it. I still fill the bed with the space I have left & it has been a complete non-issue for me, even when moving last year. I know that will depend on how people utilize their bed & everyone is different. The polycarbonate isn’t hot to the touch like the aluminum one can be & I haven’t had any issues in the winter while parking outside either. We don’t get a ton of snow either, but when we do I periodically remove it as it’s falling from the cover & the windshield anyway.

Also, I stacked it with the Yakima Overhaul HD for towing an extension ladder when I need it & impressed with how they both look & function together. The black Laramie photos are when I had just put everything on, the white Limited are recent. Hope that helps if you start to think about adding a rack/accessories.

Attachments

• AAFA9297-E756-418D-A363-B7DC4BC53A3F.jpeg
    AAFA9297-E756-418D-A363-B7DC4BC53A3F.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 444CDD37-5569-4666-9FDE-5A801C98D0F3.jpeg
    444CDD37-5569-4666-9FDE-5A801C98D0F3.jpeg
    176.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 0CC99CB2-AB74-4C2A-8878-EF634823840B.jpeg
    0CC99CB2-AB74-4C2A-8878-EF634823840B.jpeg
    292.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 8418ADB1-0525-42FF-9B21-C54B10243DA8.jpeg
    8418ADB1-0525-42FF-9B21-C54B10243DA8.jpeg
    247 KB · Views: 53
Reaction score
I went with the Retrax ONE XR & I’ve been very happy with it. I still fill the bed with the space I have left & it has been a complete non-issue for me, even when moving last year. I know that will depend on how people utilize their bed & everyone is different. The polycarbonate isn’t hot to the touch like the aluminum one can be & I haven’t had any issues in the winter while parking outside either. We don’t get a ton of snow either, but when we do I periodically remove it as it’s falling from the cover & the windshield anyway.

Also, I stacked it with the Yakima Overhaul HD for towing an extension ladder when I need it & impressed with how they both look & function together. The black Laramie photos are when I had just put everything on, the white Limited are recent. Hope that helps if you start to think about adding a rack/accessories.

That looks very nice, and I appreciate your feedback on going with the RetraxOne XR, I just couldn't justify spending $3000+ (Canadian) for a tonneau cover. If I had all kinds of expensive tools and other expensive items MAYBE I would have considered it. But most of the time my box is fairly empty, except for a few little things like straps, drawbar (hitch) etc.. The nice thing is, as you mentioned the polycarbonate isn't hot like the aluminum which I had read a bunch of topics on that and the X4S.

Do you feel like having a single locking mechanism is still secure? I know the PRO has dual locks, I saw one person order a second lock and cut one in on the other side. They said the cover moved on the right side as there wasn't a second locking mechanism on there. I don't store valuables really, so it's a moot point for me. Just interested in your opinion.

I did think about the Yakima Overhaul HD, as they do look nice with the whole package but it's super expensive, especially in Canada. The uprights alone are $1300, plus the kit you have to buy so they work with the cover, that's another $250. Than $400-$500 for the crossbars. With all said and done, it's about $2000 and that's without any accessories (like bike racks, kayak racks etc..). I have been reading about a site 80/20 that lots of people use Aluminum Extrusion bars, you buy what you need, they cut it and you put it together. For the amount I will use bars for carrying stuff, this will work for me and be a huge fraction of the cost of the Overhaul HD stuff.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That looks very nice, and I appreciate your feedback on going with the RetraxOne XR, I just couldn't justify spending $3000+ (Canadian) for a tonneau cover. If I had all kinds of expensive tools and other expensive items MAYBE I would have considered it. But most of the time my box is fairly empty, except for a few little things like straps, drawbar (hitch) etc.. The nice thing is, as you mentioned the polycarbonate isn't hot like the aluminum which I had read a bunch of topics on that and the X4S.

Do you feel like having a single locking mechanism is still secure? I know the PRO has dual locks, I saw one person order a second lock and cut one in on the other side. They said the cover moved on the right side as there wasn't a second locking mechanism on there. I don't store valuables really, so it's a moot point for me. Just interested in your opinion.

I did think about the Yakima Overhaul HD, as they do look nice with the whole package but it's super expensive, especially in Canada. The uprights alone are $1300, plus the kit you have to buy so they work with the cover, that's another $250. Than $400-$500 for the crossbars. With all said and done, it's about $2000 and that's without any accessories (like bike racks, kayak racks etc..). I have been reading about a site 80/20 that lots of people use Aluminum Extrusion bars, you buy what you need, they cut it and you put it together. For the amount I will use bars for carrying stuff, this will work for me and be a huge fraction of the cost of the Overhaul HD stuff.

I thought on Monday you said you pulled the trigger on it - did you reconsider & cancel order?

Mine is usually closed & unused until I need it. Travel a lot & sometimes put luggage in back & want it to stay dry or construction material that can fit & stay closed up. I’ll bring expensive items inside with me & not leave them in the truck. I’ve had a flip cover before that worked alright, but wanted something nicer for this vehicle. I put power tools in the cab if I'm hauling them. The locking mech is good enough for me, although yes, there is about 1/4” opening on the pass side when closed. I haven’t gotten around to adding my weatherstripping on the underside of the cover & down the sides of the bed, but can be remedied that way. Barely noticeable as it is.

As far as cost, I’m a bit blessed with my current job & they paid for the rack & accessories so I only had to pay for the cover so that I could justify it more.

Reaction score
I thought on Monday you said you pulled the trigger on it - did you reconsider & cancel order?

Mine is usually closed & unused until I need it. Travel a lot & sometimes put luggage in back & want it to stay dry or construction material that can fit & stay closed up. I’ll bring expensive items inside with me & not leave them in the truck. I’ve had a flip cover before that worked alright, but wanted something nicer for this vehicle. I put power tools in the cab if I'm hauling them. The locking mech is good enough for me, although yes, there is about 1/4” opening on the pass side when closed. I haven’t gotten around to adding my weatherstripping on the underside of the cover & down the sides of the bed, but can be remedied that way. Barely noticeable as it is.

As far as cost, I’m a bit blessed with my current job & they paid for the rack & accessories so I only had to pay for the cover so that I could justify it more.

No I never cancelled, I guess my post could have come off as still weighing my optiona lol.

I was just curious in the locking mechanism as you already had yours installed. If the passenger side bothers me then I'll just add a secondary lock like the aluminum one has. Only difference, there would be another physical lock with different keys. The PRO doesn't haven't a second lock up top, I believe it works with a bar that goes from the lock to the passenger side seconds latch. Either way now a big deal.

Funny enough, I was told it would take 40 business days to get here. So November 11th give or take. Just got the call today (4/5 days later) that it was ready for pickup. So hopefully i can get around to installing it this weekend if I get time. I've got my Rambar to contend with.

20220923_153506.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well got it all done, didn't take that long to do.

I ended up adding 3/4" wide x 5/16" thick rubber foam seal right from the start. I went from the bracket of the Rambar to the back of the tailgate. Then when installing the the clamps I had my 2nd set of hands to push down on the rails while I clamped. This should give a good seal.

Also switched out the 5/16 bolts I had and put in the M8 Button Head Stainless. Couldn't find black at all, so I'll have to live with these. No big deal.

I am happy with the cover so far, will give it some time to see for leaks. The sides should be mint, no leaks. Front and tailgate seems good. I don't expect these covers to 100% waterproof, I've yet to have one that is. The best waterproof I've had was my fiberglass hard cover but that's about it.

Downside - the box for the cover doesn't fit in the bed now lol 🤣 so I had to cut it all up.

Pictures are slow so I'll update later.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks great! Like what you did with the side rails & weatherstripping. I still don’t have water that comes on through the sides that I’ve been able to notice, although I still wish I would have added some there. When I traded in Ram for Ram in April, I just had a local shop swap it over to save time since I barely had any to spare. I still have to add the rubber weatherstripping at the tailgate to keep the water out around there from heavy rains & the car wash. I’ll look for a photo to share for ya if I can find it. Overall, it does well keeping most water out as it is.

Attachments

• 34CA2281-7857-4867-B152-4F6816062633.jpeg
    34CA2281-7857-4867-B152-4F6816062633.jpeg
    67.9 KB · Views: 26
Reaction score
Looks great! Like what you did with the side rails & weatherstripping. I still don’t have water that comes on through the sides that I’ve been able to notice, although I still wish I would have added some there. When I traded in Ram for Ram in April, I just had a local shop swap it over to save time since I barely had any to spare. I still have to add the rubber weatherstripping at the tailgate to keep the water out around there from heavy rains & the car wash. I’ll look for a photo to share for ya if I can find it. Overall, it does well keeping most water out as it is.

Yeah, I mostly added the extra foam weather stripping because of the RamBar as the bracket makes sit higher than the plastic caps. But it does act as extra protection.

I did have some rain today and I did see some water in there. I never looked to see where it was coming from, I suspect from the front. I may add some foam up there I'll see where it's coming from. With the RamBar I expect it will cause more water to get in as the tonneau cover is not designed to work with it.

The tailgate is a weak point for these trucks, such large gaps especially on the top. Definitely gotta figure out something. Still with these covers you'll never get 100% dry.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I mostly added the extra foam weather stripping because of the RamBar as the bracket makes sit higher than the plastic caps. But it does act as extra protection.

I did have some rain today and I did see some water in there. I never looked to see where it was coming from, I suspect from the front. I may add some foam up there I'll see where it's coming from. With the RamBar I expect it will cause more water to get in as the tonneau cover is not designed to work with it.

The tailgate is a weak point for these trucks, such large gaps especially on the top. Definitely gotta figure out something. Still with these covers you'll never get 100% dry.

The tonneau cover outlet I ordered from sent me a complimentary weather strip specifically for the tailgate that I have yet to apply. 🙄 I think it’s Truxedo brand. I’ll snap a pic tomorrow & send to ya. From what I remember it’s a beefier rubber weatherstripping than what the local places carry. I think I’ll also add some to the underside of the cover itself in an offset manner to help “close the gap” & push the water to the outside downward corners more.

Glad your stuff showed up a lot earlier than expected! Similar thing happened with my order & heck, that was over 2 years ago.

Reaction score
The tonneau cover outlet I ordered from sent me a complimentary weather strip specifically for the tailgate that I have yet to apply. 🙄 I think it’s Truxedo brand. I’ll snap a pic tomorrow & send to ya. From what I remember it’s a beefier rubber weatherstripping than what the local places carry. I think I’ll also add some to the underside of the cover itself in an offset manner to help “close the gap” & push the water to the outside downward corners more.

Glad your stuff showed up a lot earlier than expected! Similar thing happened with my order & heck, that was over 2 years ago.

I appreciate that, as it would be nice to seal it up at much as possible.

It's always nice when things come earlier lol. Especially 35 business days earlier haha.

Users who are viewing this thread