5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bakflip MX4 vs Revolver X4 - Ramboxes

Chaser

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Brought a limited home today and it came with factory tonneau cover installed. So far not exactly thrilled with factory cover. Doesn’t seem to be sealed that well in the back and not a huge fan of the locking/closing mechanism. I’m familiar with the bakflip g2 (my dad had one on a 15 ram) and like it. Right now leaning toward MX4 due to comfortability in the trifold but wanted to give some of you revolver owners a chance to make your case. Thanks in advance.

Tyrant

Reaction score
I went with the MX4 for my '19 rebel and am very happy with it. My previous experience with the first gen revolver (2015 ram with rambox) was bad as the quality wasn't all the great (many unfinished edges and the fit was bad).

The best cover was the G2 which after 9 years still works great on my 2012 (with rambox). The MX4 I got for the rebel almost equals the quality of the G2, as for the X4 from the pictures i saw i could still see the same unfinished edges that plagued the older revolvers. To me that is reason enough to not buy the X4, its a great design and concept but BAK slipped on the finishing.

Bluesurf

Reaction score
With the Ram Box I don't think we have any other choice. I will tell you I'm super happy with my MX4. I added an additional seal at the gate and its almost totally waterproof. I think the fit and finish are as good as it can be. With a Ram Box I'm not familiar with any other "tops" other than the one piece hard top sold by FCA.

Attachments

• Inkedbakflip_LI.jpg
    Inkedbakflip_LI.jpg
    617.4 KB · Views: 311

zeus7

Reaction score
With the Ram Box I don't think we have any other choice. I will tell you I'm super happy with my MX4. I added an additional seal at the gate and its almost totally waterproof. I think the fit and finish are as good as it can be. With a Ram Box I'm not familiar with any other "tops" other than the one piece hard top sold by FCA.
Looks good @Bluesurf Can you post a picture of the additional seal you added?

tul9033

Reaction score
Retrax is showing as 2019 Rambox compatible as well. Although pricey compared to Bakflip. Plus the Retrax is a roll top.

bigwidge

Reaction score
Retrax is showing as 2019 Rambox compatible as well. Although pricey compared to Bakflip. Plus the Retrax is a roll top.

Trust me, I love Retrax. and in most cases they get good reviews.... but not with Rambox. Leaking, gaps, and (to me) worst of all theres a "cracking noise" from the Ram Box rubbing upon opening. And it limits the door from opening completely. There's a fix but it involves cutting away some of the seal I think. There's a thread about it here:

tul9033

Reaction score
Thanks for that. It was at the top of my list.
Now to decide MX4 or rolling X4.

Trust me, I love Retrax. and in most cases they get good reviews.... but not with Rambox. Leaking, gaps, and (to me) worst of all theres a "cracking noise" from the Ram Box rubbing upon opening. And it limits the door from opening completely. There's a fix but it involves cutting away some of the seal I think. There's a thread about it here:

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Looks good @Bluesurf Can you post a picture of the additional seal you added?
The Lomax looks nice, I would have considered it if I knew it fit the RamBox. I dealt with AutoAccessoriesGarage.com. I just took a few pictures, its raining here, when I opened the gate a few drops got in. The seal works very well. The last picture shows the gate closed. Without the added seal at the gate ends you could insert your fingers with ease. This is where any water on the "cover" would run when you apply the breaks. If its pouring rain these spots fill up. I know this first hand. Now even driving through Kwik Kar Wash i'm 99% dry. A few drops manage into the gate, the wash is powerful and my bed is dry.

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 222
  • B.jpg
    B.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 219
  • C.jpg
    C.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 211
  • D.jpg
    D.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 206
  • E.jpg
    E.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 207
  • f.jpg
    f.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

DannyMc

Reaction score
I added the Mopar hard tri-fold. Cover is great, easy install..BUT I was getting a little trail of water inside the edges of box during rain or car wash. Tracked it down to small gaps between factory rails and side if RamBox. Added caulk a couple of days ago (removed cover and it’s rails first). Now waiting for rain.

I also added 3/4 x 3/4 weatherstrip from Amazon on the gap between the tailgate and the end of the bedsides. It molded perfectly after a few days in the Florida heat.

Overall very happy with my Mopar cover (which is made by BAK). .

tul9033

Reaction score
Would you mind posting a few pictures of your cover?
Thanks
BAKMX4

Mopar Tri Fold - The Mopar looks darker.

I added the Mopar hard tri-fold. Cover is great, easy install..BUT I was getting a little trail of water inside the edges of box during rain or car wash. Tracked it down to small gaps between factory rails and side if RamBox. Added caulk a couple of days ago (removed cover and it’s rails first). Now waiting for rain.

I also added 3/4 x 3/4 weatherstrip from Amazon on the gap between the tailgate and the end of the bedsides. It molded perfectly after a few days in the Florida heat.

Overall very happy with my Mopar cover (which is made by BAK). .

Attachments

• 1561669772268.png
    1561669772268.png
    624.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Kxlexus

Reaction score
I decided to try the BAK Revolver X4. I had its predecessor, the Roll X, on my 2013 Laramie and really liked that cover. However that truck didn’t have the Ramboxes

GregSLC66

Reaction score
What additional seal did you add? Trying to find a good solution to the gaps at the tailgate. Thanks in advance.

tul9033

Reaction score
The Lomax has made some modifications and now includes the weather seal for the tail gate from the last promo pictures I saw.
It's at the top of my list right now.

With the Ram Box I don't think we have any other choice.

Bluesurf

Reaction score
What additional seal did you add? Trying to find a good solution to the gaps at the tailgate. Thanks in advance.
Here is a quality seal. Before using it take a cloth and put rubbing alcohol on it to clean the area.
https://www.amazon.com/M-D-Building-Products-1033-Weather-Strip/dp/B000I1QHA8/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=M-D+Building+Products+1033+M-D+0+All+Profile+Weather-Strip+Tape,+10+Ft+L+X+19/32+in+W+5/16+in+T,+Epdm+Rubber,+Black&qid=1565351520&s=gateway&sr=8-1

I'm now using this seal, it works best and is of higher quality rubber. I even used this new seal across the front of the bed under the rear window. I cut an extra two inches on each side, I lifted the plastic frame and tucked it under. The original seal is made of cheap foam that oxidizes and rots in the heat.

Attachments

• gasket1.jpg
    gasket1.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 111

boofizzle

Reaction score
My revolver X4 is sitting in my garage 3hrs away waiting for me to install it this weekend. I'll post once I get it on there. I went with the revolver because I didn't like the fold up styles and blocking the rear window.

BiGJZ74

Reaction score
My revolver X4 is sitting in my garage 3hrs away waiting for me to install it this weekend. I'll post once I get it on there. I went with the revolver because I didn't like the fold up styles and blocking the rear window.
I just sold my MX4 and ordered the Revolver X4. Overall the MX4 was good, but had quality control issues at first. My cover was missing a few screws that attached the release cable covers on the underside as well as one of the covers constantly popping off. I was given all parts needed to fix it by back so issues resolved. MX4 was awesome otherwise, only non-fixable issue was that I couldn't fit my mountainbike in the truck bed without covering the back window. Gonna try the X4 instead. Should work just fine.....I hope. LOL otherwise i'll sell it for another loss and get a retrax.

boofizzle

Reaction score
I just sold my MX4 and ordered the Revolver X4. Overall the MX4 was good, but had quality control issues at first. My cover was missing a few screws that attached the release cable covers on the underside as well as one of the covers constantly popping off. I was given all parts needed to fix it by back so issues resolved. MX4 was awesome otherwise, only non-fixable issue was that I couldn't fit my mountainbike in the truck bed without covering the back window. Gonna try the X4 instead. Should work just fine.....I hope. LOL otherwise i'll sell it for another loss and get a retrax.

Been so busy lately. I've got the revolver installed. Looks great, fits great. The only thing that I see needs some tweaks is at the back where it meets the tail gate there are some large gaps. And I think I need to adjust it some as the tailgate closes a bit tighter, needs little more push to latch. I have some left over weather strip i'm gonna try for the gaps.

I absolutely love that it rolls up vs the flip models. Exactly what i was wanting. When rolled up it takes up 12-18" of space (ballparking that dimension). I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.

When I put it on, I did run it through the car wash and I was surprised with how little water got in. Definitely some, but way less than I expected.

Users who are viewing this thread