5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bakflip mx4 vs lomax stance vs retrax. Best hard cover

jeepfoamer

Reaction score
Anyone with the MX4, can you provide measurements from the inside of the closed tailgate to the edge of the cover with the flipped open in each section? want to see what would fit between the tailgate and the cover without either having to remove it or flip it up against the cab.

Venom700

Reaction score
Anyone with the MX4, can you provide measurements from the inside of the closed tailgate to the edge of the cover with the flipped open in each section? want to see what would fit between the tailgate and the cover without either having to remove it or flip it up against the cab.
Being slightly conservative I measure 16” and 36” respectively.

R_Andersen

Reaction score
I just put the Lomax stance on my new 21 Laramie. I decided on that over the MX4 and the armorflex because it has the rubber hinges under the cover instead of on top and has a much cleaner look. It was also cheaper so that was a plus.... Also, be careful with the covers with a smooth finish, they will scratch easily if anything gets between the sections when you fold them over.

So far, the cover fits and works great, I would definitely recommend it.

86grand

Reaction score
OP,
you can check out the Armorflex or Ultra flex as well. I have Ramboxes but no MFT. Same water issues as others as far as I can see, but seems to have a pretty tough coating.
I have the armorflex on my 2021 longhorn and also had it on my 19 limited and never saw any water in the bed even after hard rain or carwash. I don't have rambox or MFT

Venom700

Reaction score
I just put the Lomax stance on my new 21 Laramie. I decided on that over the MX4 and the armorflex because it has the rubber hinges under the cover instead of on top and has a much cleaner look. It was also cheaper so that was a plus.... Also, be careful with the covers with a smooth finish, they will scratch easily if anything gets between the sections when you fold them over.

So far, the cover fits and works great, I would definitely recommend it.
No rubber hinges is nice but attaching things on my paint and covering my digital rear view mirror are not.

BNeal

Reaction score
We got hail a couple nights ago here in TX, and my BackFlip was pummeled. The rest of the truck is fine, but the cover, not so much. Im switching to the Lomax as it is heavier aluminum.

86grand

Reaction score
We got hail a couple nights ago here in TX, and my BackFlip was pummeled. The rest of the truck is fine, but the cover, not so much. Im switching to the Lomax as it is heavier aluminum.
Does that one have the liner on it too? Thats why i went with armor flex. I ordered 5 covers and had to return 4 of them and mixed and matched 2 of the armor flex to make 1 functional cover. I have a small ding on bottom of the cover but the top looks great

DannyMc

Reaction score
Check out the Mopar cover. It’s made by BakFlip. Finish is a tad nicer. And you can use accessory coupon from Mopar website to get a big discount. It’s not completely waterproof, primarily leaks at rear corners in heavy rain or car wash. I added 3/4” weatherstripping to close up yeh tailgate to RamBox gap, but some water still get through. After 22 months,parking outdoors, the cover still looks like new.

Rammin BtoS AF

Reaction score
Check out the Mopar cover. It’s made by BakFlip. Finish is a tad nicer. And you can use accessory coupon from Mopar website to get a big discount. It’s not completely waterproof, primarily leaks at rear corners in heavy rain or car wash. I added 3/4” weatherstripping to close up yeh tailgate to RamBox gap, but some water still get through. After 22 months,parking outdoors, the cover still looks like new.
If you are a veteran you can call any of the truck hero companies and get a 50% discount on BakFlip or other items. I personally love the EXceed Xtang.

obrien

Reaction score
I love my BAK Flip (and BAK Box).
hey tell my why should I buy BAK Box, I need excuse to justify it. Is it rigid and good? happy with it?

I regularly haul full sheets of plywood (4'x8') by rolling my MX4 and putting them all the way to the back and than rest them on tailgate. Would the box be in a way?

(like in pic, but not my truck)

Attachments

• IMG_20170814_182210.jpg
    IMG_20170814_182210.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 31

Olive Green 5.7

Reaction score
hey tell my why should I buy BAK Box, I need excuse to justify it. Is it rigid and good? happy with it?

I regularly haul full sheets of plywood (4'x8') by rolling my MX4 and putting them all the way to the back and than rest them on tailgate. Would the box be in a way?

(like in pic, but not my truck)

No, it would not be in the way, and yes it is fairly rigid (I wouldn't go throw 200 pounds of crap it in though). The way I justified it was, compared to my 2017 2500 Laramie, I didn't have a dedicated storage area under the rear back seat. So things such as jumper cables, ratchet straps, rain gear, etc all go in the bakbox. For the money, integration into and with the bakflip, and ease of installation it was well worth it for me. If you want I can shoot some photos for you later.

Narg

Reaction score
I went with the Extang Tri-Fold 2.0 on my current Rambox equiped truck. Doesn't go flush with the bed top but still looks great, is the easiest to use, and is quite a bit more secure that most others too as you can open just about any bed cover with a hanger quite easily. Not with the Extang. Highly recommended if the cover being slightly above the edge of the bed doesn't mess up your grove.

Rammin BtoS AF

Reaction score
I went with the Extang Tri-Fold 2.0 on my current Rambox equiped truck. Doesn't go flush with the bed top but still looks great, is the easiest to use, and is quite a bit more secure that most others too as you can open just about any bed cover with a hanger quite easily. Not with the Extang. Highly recommended if the cover being slightly above the edge of the bed doesn't mess up your grove.
One of the reasons I went with the Xtang Xceed! A knob instead of a wire....

obrien

Reaction score
No, it would not be in the way, and yes it is fairly rigid (I wouldn't go throw 200 pounds of crap it in though). The way I justified it was, compared to my 2017 2500 Laramie, I didn't have a dedicated storage area under the rear back seat. So things such as jumper cables, ratchet straps, rain gear, etc all go in the bakbox. For the money, integration into and with the bakflip, and ease of installation it was well worth it for me. If you want I can shoot some photos for you later.
Please!

jeepfoamer

Reaction score
I too wound up going with the Bakflip MX4. Primarily because I needed it last minute for a trip to stow some things in the back and it was the only one my local 4WP had on hand that I could pick up on my way home from work. I don't expect it to be bullet proof security wise or 100% water tight but will certainly serve my purpose perfectly and looks much better than most I have seen.

Users who are viewing this thread