5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bakflip mx4 vs lomax stance vs retrax. Best hard cover

Graniterambox

Reaction score
Got a new 1500 with ramboxes and multifunction tailgate on the way. I previously had a Chevy avalanche with a hard, waterproof cover. I want the same thing. I’m looking at the bakflip MX4, the lomax stance, or the retrax. Seems like they should all fit with my options. Wondering if people have experience with any of them and can provide feedback. Thanks!

DSTJ99

Reaction score
Also interested in feedback on these. Just picked up a limited this week w/ Rambox and MFT. Considering gator HR1 too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rtslab

Reaction score
Got a new 1500 with ramboxes and multifunction tailgate on the way. I previously had a Chevy avalanche with a hard, waterproof cover. I want the same thing. I’m looking at the bakflip MX4, the lomax stance, or the retrax. Seems like they should all fit with my options. Wondering if people have experience with any of them and can provide feedback. Thanks!
Heard MX4 might be the best seller here :) Installed MX4 and it looks great! Love it.

Venom700

Reaction score
Waiting on a MX4. Love the look and reviews. But just go whichever one you have a gut feeling on!

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
FYI
Best of luck on your shopping. Take your time with your decision, lot of options out there.

Mustangmike66

Reaction score
MX4 is what I have. No opinion on the others as I’ve never had them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RickWaz

Reaction score
The Ram is my 3rd pickup and the Retrax is my 1st tonneau cover. https://retrax.com/product-detail/80244.

1607972091776.png

So no experiences with other brands. But this cover is top-notch! Good luck w/ your research!

RickWaz

Reaction score
Not the best pix. BUT if you need add'l room, it takes just a couple of minutes to remove the 4 C-clamps & lift the cover out.

20210102_090041.jpg
20210102_091241.jpg

Last edited:

Rammin BtoS AF

Reaction score
No Ram boxes or MFT, but I was debating the MX4 and the Xtang Xceed. Something to think about is they may offer a veterans discount.

obrien

Reaction score
I just installed MX4 on my and on friend 's truck. It looks awesome and perform well but it is not water proof. Expect leaks by tailgate and by corners at the end of the bed. Not much and not end of the world for me but it is not water tight. Maybe if I get some extra marine grade seal around the tailgate and some silicon on the other end it would be better but I will probably not do it.

One thing wich surprised me on mx4 was that the weather strip provided is a foam, so in heavy rain it soaks and eventually let the water through.. I would expect full marrine/auto grade rubber.

Graniterambox

Reaction score
I just installed MX4 on my and on friend 's truck. It looks awesome and perform well but it is not water proof. Expect leaks by tailgate and by corners at the end of the bed. Not much and not end of the world for me but it is not water tight. Maybe if I get some extra marine grade seal around the tailgate and some silicon on the other end it would be better but I will probably not do it.

One thing wich surprised me on mx4 was that the weather strip provided is a foam, so in heavy rain it soaks and eventually let the water through.. I would expect full marrine/auto grade rubber.
That’s disappointing. As much water resistance as possible is fairly important to me. I know none are perfect.
Not the best pix. BUT if you need add'l room, it takes just a couple of minutes to remove the 4 C-clamps & lift the cover out.

View attachment 78356
View attachment 78357
Have you been able to test it in any rain or car wash? I've heard from multiple places that the Bakflip is not great at keeping water out. Hoping this one is fairly water secure.

RickWaz

Reaction score
It was out once in a heavy rain and only a slight "dribble" of water got in. I did not expect (or necessarily need) it to be "waterproof" so I was VERY happy w/ so little water that got in. All it needs is a bit of add'l weather-stripping or some silicone sealant to make it completely waterproof.

stalkerish

Reaction score
OP,
you can check out the Armorflex or Ultra flex as well. I have Ramboxes but no MFT. Same water issues as others as far as I can see, but seems to have a pretty tough coating.

Venom700

Reaction score

Do you know the size of the weatherstrip? I’m waiting on this cover and will look for a replacement if possible.

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
I have the MX4 and am very happy with it. I've taken it through an automatic car wash at least twice, and it's parked on my driveway since the day I got it, so it's seen a few rainstorms. Any water penetration is minimal. It is better than what I expected.

obrien

Reaction score
@Venom700 : The provided weather strip is 3/4x3/4 I believe so get something close to this size in marine grade.

Well by tailgate is really cannot be water proof, if you look how the tailgate closes tot he rest of the bed body there is a hole. I just recently tried to add some seal there but I have not had a chance to test it out yet.

Car wash is fine, problem is long persistent rain (or I would guess thawing snow but I live in Texas..) where the sponge seal get soaked and starts leaking. That being said I have researched wide and deep and talked with many people and I am yet to see a true waterproof solution. If waterproof is a must I would get SUV rather than truck (I don't mean to be ****, I am just honest).

Also when mounting I strongly suggest to get few vise grips and use them to secure the rail (and really pressing down on them) and then screw the clamps. Also the guide says to glue the weather strip as a first step but I recommend to first fit the top in a way it seals with tailgate, make a mark with chalk on both ends, lose and slide the top away and then put the strip on (using the the marks). That will ensure it is in the proper position and seal better with the top.

Last edited:

Graniterambox

Reaction score
OP,
you can check out the Armorflex or Ultra flex as well. I have Ramboxes but no MFT. Same water issues as others as far as I can see, but seems to have a pretty tough coating.
I checked those out. They look well built, thanks for the recommendation. I’ll dig a little deeper. Do you have the armor or ultra? Anybody else have positive or negative experiences with undercover?

stalkerish

Reaction score
I checked those out. They look well built, thanks for the recommendation. I’ll dig a little deeper. Do you have the armor or ultra? Anybody else have positive or negative experiences with undercover?
I have the armor flex on my rebel. I like it a lot. Ultra Flex has carpeted undersides (I think), vs. the "line-x" type underside on the armor flex. I believe most will leak a little water unless you get something like a diamondback that completely covers the bedrails. I personally, wanted something a bit more low profile and easier to remove than the diamondback.

Users who are viewing this thread