5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bakflip MX4 not very puncture resistant

DLT123

Reaction score
467075c52327b1e5b17d207f7946cbe6.jpg

a7f6a4db992cbd211bbb2d5f16405b62.jpg

2d385c747b8cc61e00bddb68fbda1fe5.jpg

695f62c75f2cdc81835e39992c6a846c.jpg

4b4f04d6372426c56e1669c5d656815c.jpg

My tonneau arrived scratched, so I thought I would do some tests to see if it was resistant to punctures. I found that it is not very puncture resistant. I easily punched two holes through all four panels. In my next post I’ll show how I made the holes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ya Like 9mm rounds. My guess is the panel got replaced and he needed to let off some stress..lol

DLT123

Reaction score
Oh, man, I knew it!! Did I win a prize? :ROFLMAO: @Snofire, you may get honorable mention for round size!!
You were both correct! 9mm. First round was defense ammo (Hornady Critical Defense), second was target ammo (Winchester 124 grain FMJ). I was a bit surprised that both performed the same. I figured the defense ammo wouldn't punch through all four panels, but I was wrong!

Jabberjaw

Reaction score
Call me not surprised, I guess?? But screw it. What does #4 buckshot do?

Jabberjaw

Reaction score
Then film circa 1980s ...go at it with a machete and Ash’s chainsaw prosthetic.

DLT123

Reaction score
Then film circa 1980s ...go at it with a machete and Ash’s chainsaw prosthetic.

I was going take my chainsaw to it, but didn’t want to ruin a good chain. How about pallet forks attached to the front of my tractor? I was going to hit it with those but I got lazy. Diesel is cheaper than ammo these days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jabberjaw

Reaction score
I was going take my chainsaw to it, but didn’t want to ruin a good chain. How about pallet forks attached to the front of my tractor? I was going to hit it with those but I got lazy. Diesel is cheaper than ammo these days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hells yeah ...that could be right out of Friday the 13th Part 82, Rednecks Revenge.

tdager

Reaction score
In all seriousness, I love my Bakflip MX4 but it truly is NOT very puncture resistant in the real world. Be careful of what you put in your truck bed and how hard you push down on as you cover items.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Yes, the aluminum is extremely thin and the foam inner core compresses far too easily. I have a cover that they will not warranty that is covered in tiny divots. We had a VERY light hailstorm in Virginia in which my truck took no damage at all, even the aluminum hood was ok. But, the cover looks like crud. Will never buy one of these tonneaus again.

Lance

Reaction score
In all seriousness, I love my Bakflip MX4 but it truly is NOT very puncture resistant in the real world. Be careful of what you put in your truck bed and how hard you push down on as you cover items.
A need a favor from a BAKFlip MX4 owner that has it on a 2019 new version with 6.4 bed. When the rear two sections are folded up and laying on the most forward large section; what is the measurement from the front of the small front section to the rear of the folded section? I carry a kayak in the bed with the front forward in the bed and the rear resting on the tailgate. I need to know if there is a space between the kayak and the rear of the folded section. TIA

DLT123

Reaction score
The rest of the story: I was not happy that I "had to" destroy my brand new tonneau cover. It arrived scratched. When I notified the seller, Tonneau Covered, they sent me an e-mail that said they would send me a replacement "cover only," but I would need to send them photos that prove that I destroyed the scratched cover. They specifically recommended making holes in the cover. The downside is that I am now burdened with disposing of this cover instead of simply sending it back to the seller/BAK. If the trash truck doesn't pick it up with my trash bags, I'll have to pay the county landfill to dispose of it there.

Users who are viewing this thread