5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bakflip mx4 install troubles

robeward

Reaction score
purchased the mx4. i have the ram boxes with the aluminum cargo rail. so far i have failed to get the mx4 rails to install on the cargo rails. they slide in about 5-6 inches and bind up. exact same thing happens on both sides. i have tried both car wash soap and PB blaster silicone lubricant, cleaned and visually inspected all parts, loosened cargo rails in case they they were torqued out of square, hand file cargo rail to create a bevel at point of entry and used pliers to pinch the mx4 rails to try and create clearance. lastly i resorted to a block of wood and a 4lb hammer. that of course made progress but it was slow and the force at which i was striking the mx4 rail was certainly excessive. this only made it on about 1/4 way and i decided the chances of finishing the install was decreasing with each blow. i found the rep on the forum and emailed them for their opinion. was also curious if anyone up hear experienced a similar problem. any advice appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20230917_194605520.jpg
    IMG_20230917_194605520.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 27

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
purchased the mx4. i have the ram boxes with the aluminum cargo rail. so far i have failed to get the mx4 rails to install on the cargo rails. they slide in about 5-6 inches and bind up. exact same thing happens on both sides. i have tried both car wash soap and PB blaster silicone lubricant, cleaned and visually inspected all parts, loosened cargo rails in case they they were torqued out of square, hand file cargo rail to create a bevel at point of entry and used pliers to pinch the mx4 rails to try and create clearance. lastly i resorted to a block of wood and a 4lb hammer. that of course made progress but it was slow and the force at which i was striking the mx4 rail was certainly excessive. this only made it on about 1/4 way and i decided the chances of finishing the install was decreasing with each blow. i found the rep on the forum and emailed them for their opinion. was also curious if anyone up hear experienced a similar problem. any advice appreciated.
I feel like i remember this being an issue in the past. Anymore pictures of your rails and the bakflip ones?

Users who are viewing this thread