5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BakFlip F1 fitment issue

notqwik

Reaction score
Installed new bakflip f1, not sure if it is fitting the way it should. Has anybody seen this issue? Anybody with one mind taking some measurements and see if mine agrees.

I think mine has a couple of issues. First appears too short - barely covers the tail gate - can't really slide much further back. Second issue, when folded and leaned up against the cab .... the fold rests on the rear window. On my previous F150 - in the folded config the cover rested on one back of the cab (on the body) . Any way I have a call into the mfg, just wanted to see if any body else had similar issure.

Attachments

• IMG_3583.JPG
    IMG_3583.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_3589.JPG
    IMG_3589.JPG
    285.8 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_3577.JPG
    IMG_3577.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_3581.JPG
    IMG_3581.JPG
    346.7 KB · Views: 108

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Maybe they sent you one for the 2019 classic, have you referenced the part numbers to see if it's the right cover for the new body style?

notqwik

Reaction score
Yes I did. Picture from the box and the part number from their website ....... maybe miss labeled?

Attachments

• IMG_3586.JPG
    IMG_3586.JPG
    280 KB · Views: 18
  • Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 9.45.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 9.45.26 PM.png
    340 KB · Views: 17

Jordan2929

Reaction score
As far as where the cover sits against the back of the cab, that seems normal because they advertise it in a way that allows full use of the third brake light. The cover doesn't look like it's fully sealing on the tailgate though. If it leaks abnormally (they all leak somewhat) then I'd contact bakflip.

notqwik

Reaction score
it leaks from the back like crazy - my f150 one was not perfect, biut there wasn't water running through the bed, I did have the old style rear seal though. This one is quite different, but the way it is now of the three ribs in the rubber gasket only one is in contact with the top edge of the tail gate. Thing is if I slide it back much then the front edge will leak. Just needs to be 1/2 to 1" longer w/the front folds slightly longer to contact the body not the window. Can see resting it against the window for any distance. Seems like a good way to damage the slider.

notqwik

Reaction score
Well after talking with bakflip today .... I got the right one (or atleast the one designed for the new RAM). Still not impressed with the design of the rear tail gate seal and even less impressed with the intentional design to have the folded cover rest on the rear window. Got a huge sales pitch on how they have never seen any window get damaged and how it resting on the window is perfectly safe. Guess I can send them a bill if something happens. (yea right)

Have not looked closely at other covers, but if I was buying again ..... pretty sure it would NOT be a bakflip product.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Well after talking with bakflip today .... I got the right one (or atleast the one designed for the new RAM). Still not impressed with the design of the rear tail gate seal and even less impressed with the intentional design to have the folded cover rest on the rear window. Got a huge sales pitch on how they have never seen any window get damaged and how it resting on the window is perfectly safe. Guess I can send them a bill if something happens. (yea right)

Have not looked closely at other covers, but if I was buying again ..... pretty sure it would NOT be a bakflip product.
Did they ship the foam strips in your order? They get stuck to the cover where it meets the window.

notqwik

Reaction score
Yea, got the foam stick on pieces ..... they may distribute the load some and will keep the sharp edges from contacting the window.

I think the design could have been better in a couple of ways. First the front edge could be arched to conform to the arch of the front of these beds. I think the bed may have nearly an inch of arch. Would give it a better fit in the front definitely and look more finished and professional.

The rear edge uses a round grommet with three splined fins to keep the water out. Problem is that the thickness of the grommet causes the rear edge to be proud of the top of the tail gate by 1/4". Bakflip said this thickness would be less as the grommet crushes. I really liked the style of the old gasket that laid flush on the top of the tail gate. The old style allowed the cover to disappear against the top of the tail gate, now I have to look at the gasket thickness against the top of the tail gate.

Last, the proportions or width of the folding pieces. I wish there was a way to set the widths so when it folds up, it would rest on the cab instead of the slider.

For $900, I guess you should just be happy to get what you get, but hey maybe somebody could build a better solution - seems like there are many competitors out there looking for an edge. Anybody listening?

raydi07

Reaction score
same exact issue i have . My measurements are idetical. I get water in the rear during driving and alreary shorted out one of my ryobi 18v cordless batteries.
The email i received from the dealer/via the manufacturer states that the measurement should be 76.13in., pretty far from what we are measure. I measure topmetal lip back to front and get what you show. From my calculations its about at least 5/8" to short. I barely catch the front lip of the bed in order to maximize coverage on the rear. I am told i should measure underneath.
And i completely agree the front should be arched to match the bed.
Not happy with this purchase and I am appealing it. I like the cover but it needs to be redesigned and replaced. If not, I am asking to return the cover. The trifold I took off my 2015 Chevy Silverado bed fits better and did not leak at all. Should have removed the bed rug as well to see if it would fit but my fault for leaving it behind. Just ordered the bottom bedrug since the bed is spraylined already. Thats due to arrive tomorrow night. Now i have to really get these water issues resolved so my rug does not get wet.
Probably end up putting the bakflip back into its box and replacing it with my older trifold.

Last edited:

Jordan2929

Reaction score
If you end up returning it, I've been very happy with the looks and functionality of my LoMax cover. Almost no water inside (unless I'm parked on a steep downward slope) and it has the cleanest look of any cover IMO.

DHawk

Reaction score
Same deal for me. Wish I would have seen this thread before I purchased the F1. I just installed tonight and it looks to short..which brought me to this post as I was trying to find out what it should look like. Thought it was suppose to be custom for each make of truck. Only first fin of three on the back seal hits the tailgate. Did you get any resolution?

DHawk

Reaction score
Just to follow up, after talking to Bak, they agreed that the rails they sent were too short but they are staying firm that the cover length is correct. They suggested pulling it away from the bulkhead a bit to get more tailgate coverage. This is counter to the install instructions and any install video you come across. Seems to me adding another 1/2" to the cover would solve this issue for this particular truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online