5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bak tri-fold and cargo camera

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Bak tri-fold covers interfere with the cargo camera’s view of the bed when in the open (up) position? I want to see in the bed with the cover in the open position since it can’t be seen in the rear view mirror. I have a MX4 now, but I don’t have the camera. So, I can’t tell if it will block the camera’s view. It looks like it won’t, but don’t know for sure.

Last edited:

Ram_702

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Bak tri-fold covers interfere with the cargo camera’s view of the bed when in the open (up) position? I want to see in the bed with the cover in the open position since it can’t be seen in the rear view mirror. I have a MX4 now, but I don’t have the camera. So, I can’t tell if it will block the camera’s view. It looks like it won’t, but don’t know for sure.
I posted the same in another thread a few weeks ago and was told it does not interfere with the camera. See thread here.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks. But after checking that thread, now I’m wondering if the MX4 will cover the camera with a 6’ 4” bed. The panels will have to be a little longer due to the longer bed. That would make it stand up higher. Hmmmm. I’m about to order a new truck with the 6’ 4” bed. My current truck has the short bed.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As long as it doesn't cover the CHMSL (3rd brake light), it will be fine.

Ram_702

Reaction score
I believe I read somewhere that the 6’4” was an issue because the segments were larger so it folded up higher. You may be able to find it on one of these threads.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My guess, not having the 6'4" bed, is that maybe the fixed part of the BakFlip, closest to the cab, is wider/deeper, so that the foldable parts can be about the same size as for the 5'7" bed. And, with that part being a little wider/deeper, the folded panels would lean at a greater angle and still hit below the light. I have to imagine they would not want to block the third brake light for safety reasons and not blocking it means not blocking the camera.

That said, I've never paid attention to how much of the bed I can see in the digital mirror.

Doc10

Reaction score
I posted the same in another thread a few weeks ago and was told it does not interfere with the camera. See thread here.
what camera did you install for cargo view n the 1500? just got mine yesterday, looks like there is a spot in the 3rd brake light for it to go but no dice on mine.

Ram_702

Reaction score
what camera did you install for cargo view n the 1500? just got mine yesterday, looks like there is a spot in the 3rd brake light for it to go but no dice on mine.
I have the electronic rear view mirror on my limited. Part of the limited one group.

Also, I can confirm the MX4 does not interfere with the camera on the 5’7” bed.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks. But after checking that thread, now I’m wondering if the MX4 will cover the camera with a 6’ 4” bed. The panels will have to be a little longer due to the longer bed. That would make it stand up higher. Hmmmm. I’m about to order a new truck with the 6’ 4” bed. My current truck has the short bed.
I have the MX4 and the 6'4" bed. When folded up you can see the third brake light / bed lights just fine. Unfortunately I do not have the cargo camera so I'm not sure if would obstruct the downward view.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the MX4 and the 6'4" bed. When folded up you can see the third brake light / bed lights just fine. Unfortunately I do not have the cargo camera so I'm not sure if would obstruct the downward view.
Thanks, that sounds promising. I would like to see in the bed if I have to have to cover open since I can’t see it in the rear view mirror. Kinda defeats the purpose of the camera if the bed cover covered the camera.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, that sounds promising. I would like to see in the bed if I have to have to cover open since I can’t see it in the rear view mirror. Kinda defeats the purpose of the camera if the bed cover covered the camera.
I can go confirm this, but last time I had it on the "video" rear view mirror camera, I could not see my 5'7" bed, which was empty. Something sticking up might have been in the mirror but I don't think you can tilt the camera down enough to see much/any of the bed. The BakFlip wasn't blocking the camera, it just didn't go down far enough.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can go confirm this, but last time I had it on the "video" rear view mirror camera, I could not see my 5'7" bed, which was empty. Something sticking up might have been in the mirror but I don't think you can tilt the camera down enough to see much/any of the bed. The BakFlip wasn't blocking the camera, it just didn't go down far enough.

My new truck is supposed to have the cargo view camera which is located in the third brake light. It’s part of the Technology Group. This is a different camera than the Digital Rear View. At least that is my understanding. I could be wrong though.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My new truck is supposed to have the cargo view camera which is located in the third brake light. It’s part of the Technology Group. This is a different camera than the Digital Rear View. At least that is my understanding. I could be wrong though.
Mine is in the third brake light and part of the tech group. but it's a 2021. If it's changed for 2022, I can't say. Anyway, while I've not played with it a lot, I don't think I can even see my tailgate with my digital rearview mirror. I've not checked to see if there is a way to zoom it in and out,

Doc10

Reaction score
does anyone know if the punchout circled in red is a blank for the cargo camera 2022 Ram 1500 limited or is it a sensor? ... and if it's for a camera is it already wired for it? I can confirm there is no cargo carmera in my 1500 limited and the blue circle is the camera for the rear view mirror display.

Attachments

• Inked20220223_185003_LI2.jpg
    Inked20220223_185003_LI2.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 22

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My understanding is that the camera on the left (blue) is for the digital rear view and the camera on the right (red) is for cargo. Do you have the Technology Group?

Doc10

Reaction score
My understanding is that the camera on the left (blue) is for the digital rear view and the camera on the right (red) is for cargo. Do you have the Technology Group?
they did away with the technology group in 2022 and merged most of the features into the limited level 1

scubes13

Reaction score
Anyone know what items are needed to retrofit a camera into the stock housing and connect it to the trucks system?

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Check the search bar. I believe it’s been done. Or, you might have to replace the entire light assembly to the one that has the camera already in it. I’m not sure.

scubes13

Reaction score
Thanks. Have been getting better and better at using the search here. Seems every time I post after searching, people share great info that helps me search slightly better the next time. Found this after realizing it was a “cargo” camera. 😂

Users who are viewing this thread