5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bak Revolver X4 Poor Quality

dialupdave

Reaction score
$1500 cover and look at the horrible quality. I even cut myself on the edge!

Misfit rails, horrible gaps. Seals missing or in the wrong place entirely. Nothing aligns.

Buyer beware!

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 417
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 416
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    60.3 KB · Views: 406
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:

Wedgeajt

Reaction score
I have the same cover on mine and it fits great. I didn't install it myself, but had a local shop put it on. Mine was under $1000 installed.

PT1911

Reaction score
Did you install it, or someone else?

I have installed 2 of them, and quality has been good, and my installs did not look like that.

Caballonegro

Reaction score
This sucks, this is the actual cover I was going to put on my truck!

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Misfit rails, horrible gaps. Seals missing or in the wrong place entirely. Nothing aligns.

Buyer beware!

I installed the same cover. I have mostly the same issues. It installed easily. But:

- The weather stripping on the back side of the Revolver rails looks like it is supposed to seal against the bed wall. But, like in your picture, it doesn't quite even touch the sides of the bed.

- There is a pretty good sized opening at each of the front corners where water can come in.

- The plastic cap/plugs that were on the back ends of the stock RamBox rails cannot be put back on with the Revolver rails installed.

- After opening and closing my tailgate 3 or 4 times, I noticed that the Revolver rail on one side has gouged a small chunk out of the top of the tailgate cap.

I sent pictures of all this to my CS rep at TonneauFactoryOutlet.com where I bought it. She has been awesome. She forwarded my pictures to Bak and got these responses:

I heard back from Bak today. James told me that the this is normal for the Revolver on the 2019 RamBox applications. Those caps will not be able to go back on, and there are going to be gaps due to the moving parts of the RamBox system.

and

Here is the word from James at Bak.

Sounds like his rails are sitting a bit low in the rear if it nicked his tailgate cap.

The adjustment for this is made at the cargo rails, where they bolt to the truck bed side. They’ll loosen those bolts, then they can pick up on the cargo rails with the cover rails and everything attached to them. Lift up on them, close the tailgate, let them set down so the rear tips of the Revolver rails are resting on the tailgate, then tighten the bolts back down in the cargo rails, and then the tailgate should be able to sweep in freely under the tips of the rails as it should.

It would have been nice if this info was included in the Install Sheet for the RamBoxes - but it was not.

On the gaps around the sides and corners, I don't have a big beef with that. I think that is just a fact of life with an install that uses the existing RamBox rails. That said, I think they COULD offer an option for rails that bolt on in place of the RamBox rails. Then they could make it seal up along the sides and around the front, so the only issue would be the rear corners. And the rear corners are as much an issue of gaps from the factory, not the bed cover.

Also, I think they COULD make the current rails with a plastic insert in the end, similar to the plastic inserts that are stock in the ends of the RamBox rails, to cover that kinda sharp edge - and ensure the rail doesn't gouge the tailgate cap.

@dialupdave, it looks like you have the opposite problem to what I have. You have one side that is too high, rather than too low. Hopefully, their instructions for adjusting the rail height will let you adjust that to make it even. If that does work out, then I wouldn't blame Bak - other than for not including those instructions in the RamBox install sheet. They can't control how precisely Ram lines up those cargo rails when they bolt them in.

For ME, in the end, it's a truck and a truck bed cover. Being 100% waterproof back there is not that important to me. If it was, I would have gotten a totally different kind of cover. And probably not gotten RamBoxes. This cover will keep stuff from getting water directly on it. Water will get into the bed around the sides and run out of the bed at the back or wherever. Any kind of drainage mat (i.e. a mat that is somewhat thick and has holes or deep channels) will hold stuff up out of the little bit of water that can accumulate back there. And a nick in the tailgate cap is, well, it's my first ding. In my truck. Oh, well. I'm glad it's not something worse.

My primary requirements were security for stuff in the back, convenience for me (i.e. no separate lock on the cover to deal with), the absolute minimum lost bed space, and decent looks when it's closed. I got what I wanted and I can live with the rest. At this point, I don't know of another cover I would rather have.

TailgateCap.jpg

kittyjo

Reaction score

Buyer beware!
Try looking at the gator HR1 this is what I’m going to get put on mine....

leeghoti

Reaction score

Buyer beware!
Man wish I would've waited to order mine a few days maybe I would have seen this first. I'm having similar issues. I've bought 4 different Bak folding covers over the years and decided to try something different and I've never been so disappointed in a bed cover. I get that nothing is perfect but those gaps at the front are ridiculous. And nothing is really holding this thing on other than friction.
To top it off even with a ton of adjustment my latch still doesn't really sit good. It's either too loose where it doesn't latch both sides it it's too tight and it doesn't want to release.
I'd be surprised if I can return it but if not I'm gonna get something else and sell this POS for whatever I can get for it. Unbelievable.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

leeghoti

Reaction score
I installed the same cover. I have mostly the same issues. It installed easily. But:

- The weather stripping on the back side of the Revolver rails looks like it is supposed to seal against the bed wall. But, like in your picture, it doesn't quite even touch the sides of the bed.

- There is a pretty good sized opening at each of the front corners where water can come in.

- The plastic cap/plugs that were on the back ends of the stock RamBox rails cannot be put back on with the Revolver rails installed.

- After opening and closing my tailgate 3 or 4 times, I noticed that the Revolver rail on one side has gouged a small chunk out of the top of the tailgate cap.

I sent pictures of all this to my CS rep at TonneauFactoryOutlet.com where I bought it. She has been awesome. She forwarded my pictures to Bak and got these responses:

and

It would have been nice if this info was included in the Install Sheet for the RamBoxes - but it was not.

On the gaps around the sides and corners, I don't have a big beef with that. I think that is just a fact of life with an install that uses the existing RamBox rails. That said, I think they COULD offer an option for rails that bolt on in place of the RamBox rails. Then they could make it seal up along the sides and around the front, so the only issue would be the rear corners. And the rear corners are as much an issue of gaps from the factory, not the bed cover.

Also, I think they COULD make the current rails with a plastic insert in the end, similar to the plastic inserts that are stock in the ends of the RamBox rails, to cover that kinda sharp edge - and ensure the rail doesn't gouge the tailgate cap.

@dialupdave, it looks like you have the opposite problem to what I have. You have one side that is too high, rather than too low. Hopefully, their instructions for adjusting the rail height will let you adjust that to make it even. If that does work out, then I wouldn't blame Bak - other than for not including those instructions in the RamBox install sheet. They can't control how precisely Ram lines up those cargo rails when they bolt them in.

For ME, in the end, it's a truck and a truck bed cover. Being 100% waterproof back there is not that important to me. If it was, I would have gotten a totally different kind of cover. And probably not gotten RamBoxes. This cover will keep stuff from getting water directly on it. Water will get into the bed around the sides and run out of the bed at the back or wherever. Any kind of drainage mat (i.e. a mat that is somewhat thick and has holes or deep channels) will hold stuff up out of the little bit of water that can accumulate back there. And a nick in the tailgate cap is, well, it's my first ding. In my truck. Oh, well. I'm glad it's not something worse.

My primary requirements were security for stuff in the back, convenience for me (i.e. no separate lock on the cover to deal with), the absolute minimum lost bed space, and decent looks when it's closed. I got what I wanted and I can live with the rest. At this point, I don't know of another cover I would rather have.

View attachment 30344
Agree with most of what you said, however the way mine is latching, this thing isn't secure. I can wiggle it enough even with the tailgate closed and locked to get it open.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Lomax is awesome. Fits snugly to bed caps, barely has a leak (if any at all, I think most water I see drips in once I open the tailgate) and it is super easy to remove and rest along the bedside whenever I need a completely open bed for cargo. It literally locks itself back into place when I reinstall it. And it was half the price of the Bak.

leeghoti

Reaction score
My Lomax is awesome. Fits snugly to bed caps, barely has a leak (if any at all, I think most water I see drips in once I open the tailgate) and it is super easy to remove and rest along the bedside whenever I need a completely open bed for cargo. It literally locks itself back into place when I reinstall it. And it was half the price of the Bak.
Which one did you get? And where did you get it, the prices I'm seeing are in line with Bak

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered it from the recommended guy here on the forum. Forgot his name, just do a post search. I think he was out of Cali. I did not realize they had different ones, mine is the hard trifold. Cost me six and some change shipped to my door. Ill run a quick search for details from when I originally posted my purchase.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Which one did you get? And where did you get it, the prices I'm seeing are in line with Bak

It was purchased from Luke at Truck Alterations. Very easy purchase, delivery and install. Was not more than $700, which is half of the price posted above for the Bak

leeghoti

Reaction score
It was purchased from Luke at Truck Alterations. Very easy purchase, delivery and install. Was not more than $700, which is half of the price posted above for the Bak
Ah, well I feel bad for OP, I paid $900 for my X4. You got pics of yours?

Kxlexus

Reaction score
I have an x4 on my Longhorn with Ramboxes. If you really did pay $1500 you way overpaid. I got mine for $900. I really like mine. It fits great and I installed it in about 20 minutes. Could probably do it in 10 minutes now. There is a gap on each front corner that I filled with clear silicone caulking. The gaps at the tailgate were reduced greatly with weatherstripping. It’s not completely waterproof when going through a car wash but almost.
I had a RollX on my previous truck and it was still great after 6 years when I traded the truck off. There is no cover I’d rather have

leeghoti

Reaction score

Buyer beware!
I was on a job site this morning showing my cover to a customer & he pointed to the cuts on the top rail and said "yeah I see you had to cut it already to make it fit". I said, "no, that's how it came" and he was appalled somebody would send out a product looking like that.

leeghoti

Reaction score
Do you have Ramboxes?

Caballonegro

Reaction score
You might take a look at the Truxedo Sentry covers. Similar function and styling, and I was very impressed with the quality when I installed mine. It had none of the issues shown here.
ok I'll look at them now.

Users who are viewing this thread