5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bak Revolver X4 (or X2) Cold Weather Performance?

John813

Reaction score
Thanks for the review, can you talk about how the midpoint latches work? Does one pull on the cord release all four latches (two rear + two midpoint?), and it rolls back all the way?

I might have to re-look at it again, but I think the mid point latch comes off quite easy when you roll up the cover. Then when I close it sometimes I'll just have to press down at that area to make it click back, secure it, into the railing.
I think the rear cord only releases the two in the rear. Might have my brother slide in the back of the truck next weekend to confirm(if the guy shows up that is).

When rolled up, it takes up a handful of inches out of the bed, and still allows you to see out the rear mirror.

Ramguy2014

Reaction score
I've also been looking at the new Bak Revolver X4 and some of the features I like are the security of it when closed (any cover can be broken into really) and the design of the bedrail tracks. I've had a Truxedo roll up cover in the past and while it was a great cover I noticed the stitching used to hold the velcro on the cover will start to come undone within a few years. I also noticed when rolling up my Truxedo that it was hard to get an even roll on both sides when rolling it up by yourself.

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I installed the Truxedo sentry CT cover today. So far so good. Easy install- great material with a mid latch. Will post some pictures soon.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I installed the Truxedo sentry CT cover today. So far so good. Easy install- great material with a mid latch. Will post some pictures soon.
Cool! Just installed mine too, did you have any problems with the rails sagging like mine? See pix, it’s so low the rear seal hangs down and I can’t close the tailgate without unlocking the top. Front sticks up a little too, even though it’s seated on the locking pin fine.
2C8DEC9B-44DC-4E27-830D-1CD31B416843.jpeg 2545CC4B-FE73-479A-80D9-0AB921A3D455.jpeg 0264D7D4-1A3E-44F6-8FAA-EAFDF348BB88.jpeg

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Cool! Just installed mine too, did you have any problems with the rails sagging like mine? See pix, it’s so low the rear seal hangs down and I can’t close the tailgate without unlocking the top. Front sticks up a little too, even though it’s seated on the locking pin fine.
View attachment 11764 View attachment 11765 View attachment 11766

I have the rambox so it utilizes the bracket system that is provided with the truck so it’s very rigid and straight. Truxedo does recommend you to close the lid after you close the tailgate to get the best tailgate seal.

somebody

Reaction score
After spending way too much time researching covers... I think I'm ordering a Revolver X4 tomorrow. Seems like every cover has people who say they're great, and others who say they're junk. it's either that or a cheap tri fold that doesn't block the rear window(which worked fine on my last truck).

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Truxedo Sentry CT for shortbed with Ramboxes from Auto Accessories Garage. I got them down to $843.92 which Tonneau Covers World offered to match after an initial best offer of $882. May be another little bit to be had off somewhere, but not too much most likely.

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Truxedo Sentry CT for shortbed with Ramboxes from Auto Accessories Garage. I got them down to $843.92 which Tonneau Covers World offered to match after an initial best offer of $882. May be another little bit to be had off somewhere, but not too much most likely.

Sounds like a good price. I paid 813 as amazons normal price then amazon had a 10% coupon on top of that. Plus a 75 dollar mail in rebate but this was right after Black Friday. I think the 75 dollar mail in was still active on Truxedo website though. Plus I earned 5% back with my amazon card.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went ahead and ordered the revolver X4, despite my initial concerns about it performing in cold weather and snow. However, multiple local shops all recommended it and said they have never had a customer report issues with it. Two of the guys I spoke with had them on their own trucks as well. I'll update once it comes in.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I went ahead and ordered the revolver X4, despite my initial concerns about it performing in cold weather and snow. However, multiple local shops all recommended it and said they have never had a customer report issues with it. Two of the guys I spoke with had them on their own trucks as well. I'll update once it comes in.
We’ll all have to compare cold weather/snow and ice notes after the winter then!

somebody

Reaction score
My X4 arrived today. The temp is in the mid 30's, not ideal bed cover installation weather, but I wanted it installed. Hindsight is always 20/20 and I wished I would've gotten a sub $200 trifold cover instead.

A step in the instructions confused me and I had to install the rails twice. After final installation, the rails are too far apart and there's no included way to fix that. It is easily fixable with a trip to the hardware store, but that shouldn't have to happen. It's still functional though and was going to wait for warmer temps to fix it. I closed the tailgate and it wouldn't shut, so I unlatched the cover and slammed it again, still wouldn't shut. It's hitting the rails....I will post pics later, going to go work on it in the dark.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My X4 arrived today. The temp is in the mid 30's, not ideal bed cover installation weather, but I wanted it installed. Hindsight is always 20/20 and I wished I would've gotten a sub $200 trifold cover instead.

A step in the instructions confused me and I had to install the rails twice. After final installation, the rails are too far apart and there's no included way to fix that. It is easily fixable with a trip to the hardware store, but that shouldn't have to happen. It's still functional though and was going to wait for warmer temps to fix it. I closed the tailgate and it wouldn't shut, so I unlatched the cover and slammed it again, still wouldn't shut. It's hitting the rails....I will post pics later, going to go work on it in the dark.

Dang. Keep us posted. I'm letting the local shop do it for me because I'm lazy and want them to have to deal with those issues.

Allnewhemi19

Reaction score
I had no installtion issues with mine. I also have the bed rug installed.
I used the plastic piece for the tail gate,and I adjusted the cover and rails before tightening the clamps to make sure tail gate would close. This cover will get very stiff when cold. There’s a video on you tube showing this.

somebody

Reaction score
Tailgate closes but I'm not sure if it's a permanent fix or if it will need constant adjustment? Also, the cover will not latch if the tailgate is up. And after looking at the situation closer, part if the issue points to a bed not being square, another problem is the bed rails are flimsy the closer you get to the tailgate.

Here's where I screwed up originally after reading this page in the instructions. The rails on the truck are straight up and down which contradicts what this paper says. I removed the sticky backed strips so the tracks would sit flush against the rails.

krdba.jpg

After assembling it, the tracks were too far apart. I removed them and reapplied the sticky backed strips so that they would be parallel with the bed rails(vertically) after installation. It's hard to understand this without having the instructional page in front of you and seeing how the strips originally came on the rails.

dxybfs.jpg

Here's the drivers side track installed.

mhbqqw.jpg

Here's the passengers side.

ibe4bp.jpg

That was installed the way the instructions said. Both sides were hitting the tailgate, the cover wasn't latched(it's a little heavy and has an impact on how the tracks sit).

I just raised up the drivers side slightly so it would clear the tailgate, and retightened the rear clamp.

2jev7dt.jpg

After several tries to adjust the passengers side, I put a 1/8" thick aluminum shim between the rail and the track where the middle clamp is. The rear clamp has 1/4" of shims installed so that when the clamp is tightened it angles the track up.

29wkgef.jpg

So now the tailgate closes with the cover latched, but the passengers side still slightly rubs the plastic tailgate cover.
Here's the latches, both sides engage approximately the same amount.

fxceqa.jpg

Here's how the instructions say they are suppose to be. Mine are like what's shown in the circle/slash.

jj19vt.jpg

Lastly, will the cover allow water in? Yes but it's not BAK's fault. You can get an aftermarket tailgate seal to close up most of the gap at the tailgate. The rest of the cover appears to offer good moisture protection. Here's a pic with a flashlight in the bed and everything closed.

4h5t09.jpg

somebody

Reaction score
I hope that makes sense. For whatever reason the drivers side seems to be a lot more rigid than the passengers side. You can get it looking and working good but once you roll the cover out the passengers side track sags.

garyh

Reaction score
Had a first Gen BAK Roll-x (now revolver) on my 13 Tundra. Loved it! I live in Northern IL and in 5 years I had the locking rails freeze up twice from rain then extreme cold. Had to thaw the rails by putting a small ceramic heater in the bed for a couple hours while it sat in an unheated garage. Never had an issue with the ability to roll it in extreme cold.
As I am a snowmobiler and although I only had frozen rails twice in 6 years, I am opting to go with the BAKflip MX4 for my new 19 RAM. The compromise is not being able to see out the rear window when completely folded up. Nothing is perfect I guess.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, anyone with updates on this topic? Thanks
I was very happy with my Sentry CT canvas top's performance under the ice/snow. Of course you need to keep it cleared, and It was a little harder to roll when cold but I had no problems when I needed to get in the bed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/