5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BAK Revolver - more amazing customer service

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got my BAK Revolver X4s for my '21 RAM in August, 2022. That was after some amazing customer service from BAK for the Revolver X4 I had on my '19 RAM (which I have posted about previously).

On 9/14/22 (2 weeks ago, today), I emailed BAK about a small problem witih my X4s. One of the slats popped out or something. It still closes and locks shut, but it makes a little hump in the cover.

I got an email back almost right away saying that they are really backed up and I might not hear back from an actual person for a few days.

A couple of days later, I got an email from a customer service rep saying that they had processed my order for a new (replacement, no rails) cover. They didn't ask for a credit card or anything. Really, nothing from me but the pictures I sent in my original email.

Today, my replacement cover arrived! All they have asked is that I drill some holes in the old cover and send them a photo showing that I had done so.

They were equally awesome when I had an even more minor issue with my previous Revolver.

I just cannot say enough good things about BAK. I've had only BAK covers on my trucks since 2009. My BAKFlip on my 2009 was still in good shape when I traded the truck in in 2019.

BAK covers are awesome and so is their customer service.

2023-09-08 16.41.06.jpg

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same experience here. My MX4 was leaking water at one of the folding points. I just had to follow their easy warranty submission online and then send pics of the old cover with holes drilled in it. The entire process was very simple and painless. Awesome customer service. I did strip down the old cover before I put it out for trash pick up. I saved all of the screws, plates, release mechanisms, etc. Just in case I needed anything in a pinch.

dannydyn

Reaction score
I got my BAK Revolver X4s for my '21 RAM in August, 2022. That was after some amazing customer service from BAK for the Revolver X4 I had on my '19 RAM (which I have posted about previously).

On 9/14/22 (2 weeks ago, today), I emailed BAK about a small problem witih my X4s. One of the slats popped out or something. It still closes and locks shut, but it makes a little hump in the cover.

I got an email back almost right away saying that they are really backed up and I might not hear back from an actual person for a few days.

A couple of days later, I got an email from a customer service rep saying that they had processed my order for a new (replacement, no rails) cover. They didn't ask for a credit card or anything. Really, nothing from me but the pictures I sent in my original email.

Today, my replacement cover arrived! All they have asked is that I drill some holes in the old cover and send them a photo showing that I had done so.

They were equally awesome when I had an even more minor issue with my previous Revolver.

I just cannot say enough good things about BAK. I've had only BAK covers on my trucks since 2009. My BAKFlip on my 2009 was still in good shape when I traded the truck in in 2019.

View attachment 168271

That's great to hear since I'm about to pull the trigger on a Revolver X4S myself.

Quick question, having owned both the Revolver and BackFlip, which one do you prefer and why?

TIA

logboom

Reaction score

View attachment 168271
Really good news. I am thinking of getting this cover for my 23 RAM Laramie.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I liked my BAKFlip, but I like the Revolver way better.

I had the BAKFlip on my '09 (for 10 years). I traded in and got a '19. I got a Revolver for it. I traded the '19 for a '21 and bought a new cover. Liking the Revolver better is why I bought another one for my '21.

No, the Revolver does not react to the wind, as far as I can tell. It is a soft material glued onto metal slats. If the soft material came off, it would be a solid metal cover there. I don't see how it *could* react to the wind.

Reasons I like the Revolver better (than the BAKFlip):

When all the way open, it is rolled up behind the back window and I can still see out the back window fairly well. The BAKFlip completely covered the back window when it was fully open. I will admit that is not as big a deal as it used to be, since my '21 has a digital rearview mirror and neither cover would block the camera.

The Revolver seems a bit easier to deal with if I take it off the truck. Easier to lug into the garage and store it, for example.

The Revolver does not take up quite as much room at the front of the bed. I could not carry my motorcycle in the back of my truck with the BAKFlip on. The front wheel would hit the cover when I tried to butt it up against the front wall of the bed. I can carry my motorcycle in the back with the Revolver on.

Both open/close the same way (i.e. a cable just underneath the cover at the very back that you pull on to unlatch it to open), so that's a wash. That mechanism is nice, because you cannot access it to open the cover without first opening the tailgate. And that means that if the tailgate is locked, nobody can get into the back of your truck. No separate key to deal with, like on covers that have an external lock. I hit Lock on my fob and the bed is locked along with the rest of the truck. I had Retrax covers on trucks before I got my '09 RAM. Having a separate key just for the cover was a pain. Being able to open it without opening the tailgate was never anything I got any benefit from. Cracking open the tailgate to pull the cable to open the cover has never bothered me at all.

I can open/close my tailgate whether the Revolver is open or closed. With my BAKFlip, I had to open the cover before I closed my tailgate, to keep from damaging the rubber flap that sealed the very back against the top of the tailgate. That may be different on the latest BAKFlips, though.

I think the Revolver looks better.

I wouldn't stand on either, so that's also a wash.

I can just flip the Revolver hard to roll it closed. So, it's a little bit easier to close from all the way open than the BAKFlip. Very much NOT a big deal, though.

The Revolver does not touch my back glass when it's open. The BAKFlip leans against the back glass when it's all the way open. That always bothered me. I was always worried that my back glass would get broken somehow. It didn't. But, no worry of that with the Revolver.

The BAKFlip and Revolver cover part installs to the rails the same way, so that is also a wash. They are both easy to take on and off once you install it the first time.

One thing that the BAKFlip does have over the Revolver: Maintenance. I never did anything to "maintain" my BAKFlip, in 10 years. With the Revolver, you need to hit the fabric on top with 303 Aerospace Protectant on a semi-regular basis to protect that fabric. I think they recommend every 3 months for that. And even with doing that religiously, I suspect that fabric is not going to last as long as the BAKFlip.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agree on the good service. :) I ended up wanting an extra pair of clamps because of the way I installed. My decision, not a deficiency. I asked if I could buy a pair of clamps, yeah offered to pay for them and all, and they just sent me a whole hardware kit, no charge. (y) Maybe we should expect that, given how much they cost, but there it is, just sayin'.

On the issue of no key, I sort of wish it did have an independent opener of some kind. 💁‍♂️ If my battery dies, the tools I need to work on it are going to be locked in the bed, which I have no way to open, right? :unsure: It hasn't happened, but could. Actually I guess that's a deficiency in the tailgate design, not the cover. Has anyone added/modified/backdated a tailgate to have a mechanical lock/handle? Oh, well. 🤷‍♂️

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agree on the good service. :) I ended up wanting an extra pair of clamps because of the way I installed. My decision, not a deficiency. I asked if I could buy a pair of clamps, yeah offered to pay for them and all, and they just sent me a whole hardware kit, no charge. (y) Maybe we should expect that, given how much they cost, but there it is, just sayin'.

On the issue of no key, I sort of wish it did have an independent opener of some kind. 💁‍♂️ If my battery dies, the tools I need to work on it are going to be locked in the bed, which I have no way to open, right? :unsure: It hasn't happened, but could. Actually I guess that's a deficiency in the tailgate design, not the cover. Has anyone added/modified/backdated a tailgate to have a mechanical lock/handle? Oh, well. 🤷‍♂️

There's always your valet key in your key fob to get you into the truck. I can't remember if my tailgate also has a place to use a physical key - and it's late and I'm too lazy to go out and look. Probably not, though. At least, not on my MFT.

Maybe just put the tools you'd need for a battery swap (and some jumper cables?) in the truck cab somewhere. Tools for a battery swap (a ratchet with an extension and 1 or 2 sockets?) will easily fit under the back seat or in one of the back seat under-floor storage bins.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's always your valet key in your key fob to get you into the truck. I can't remember if my tailgate also has a place to use a physical key - and it's late and I'm too lazy to go out and look. Probably not, though. At least, not on my MFT.

Maybe just put the tools you'd need for a battery swap (and some jumper cables?) in the truck cab somewhere. Tools for a battery swap (a ratchet with an extension and 1 or 2 sockets?) will easily fit under the back seat or in one of the back seat under-floor storage bins.

No it doesn't, and yeah some basic tools in the cab won't kill me.

slatersan

Reaction score
They do have great customer service. The Revolver4 I had for 2+ years was having some issues ( lots of little tweaks and repairs needed..), and with just a few pics, they sent me a brand new updated version 9 the 4s) which is superior. Great service.

Users who are viewing this thread