5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BAK MX4 vs X4s

myownstatus

Reaction score
I’ve had the X4s installed for a couple months and love it. It keeps 99% of the water out and is very secure. Mine is installed with a Bedrug. View attachment 116107 View attachment 116108
definitely love the sleek look of the roll up and they fact that I can use still see outside the back window. Only drawback that I see either its rolled up all the way or closed.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m considering both models same as OP. I am wondering if the MX4 blocks the 3rd brake light camera when fully retracted. Anyone have any experience here?
It does not. It rests just below it.

I've had zero issues with my MX4 and I"m a little surprised because I'm the type who usually installs stuff too quickly and does something wrong and I end up having to redo it. This went right in the first try and has been great. I've driven 300 miles of interstate with it in the folded-up/retracted position and it worked just fine.

KyRam21

Reaction score
New to the truck world, been really indecisive about both of these. So what are real world expectations of the pros and cons of the roll type and tri fold?

I’ve had the X4s installed for a couple months and love it. It keeps 99% of the water out and is very secure. Mine is installed with a Bedrug. View attachment 116107 View attachment 116108
definitely love the sleek look of the roll up and they fact that I can use still see outside the back window. Only drawback that I see either its rolled up all the way or closed.
I shared the same concern. I can tell you that so far it hasn’t been an issue. When it’s rolled up it’s very secure. The fact that rolled up I can still see out the rear window made it worth it for me. Either way you can’t go wrong. I’m on my 4th BAK and they’ve all been great.

vandersnoot

Reaction score
I can only speak to the MX4, as I have owned two now. Like someone previously stated, keeps out 99% of water (just some edge drip), has good load tolerance on top, and looks good. Only thing I had to replace in 5 years was some of the rivets popped off after a spirited load, BUT the repair was covered under warranty, so in my book I had no issues.

myownstatus

Reaction score
I can only speak to the MX4, as I have owned two now. Like someone previously stated, keeps out 99% of water (just some edge drip), has good load tolerance on top, and looks good. Only thing I had to replace in 5 years was some of the rivets popped off after a spirited load, BUT the repair was covered under warranty, so in my book I had no issues.
How is there warranty? That is a big one for me. I’m loooking for a company where I need to explain myself to the point of arguing if a manafacture cannot back up their products

Ram-a-Kin

Reaction score
Did you all choose the MX4 over the F1 because of the finish - matte vs. high gloss?

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok, so the MX4 does not cover the cargo camera on the 5’ 7” bed, but does it on the 6’ 4” bed? Anyone know? The panels will be longer, thus taller when open.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
How long is your bed? Mine is 6'4" and want to make sure the cameras won't be blocked. Thanks.
Oh I have a 5’7’’ bed. I don’t think it matters though. I think they make it intentionally so it folds up under the third brake light no matter the bed length.

JB16V

Reaction score
How long is your bed? Mine is 6'4" and want to make sure the cameras won't be blocked. Thanks.
I can confirm, the camera won’t be blocked when folded up. I have the MX4 cover on a 6’4” bed. For the 6’4” bed the cover has 4 sections so they are short enough to stay under the brake licht and camera.

Spritle

Reaction score
I have a tri fold (Bakflip VP) on my Raptor and a roll style (Retrax OneMX) on my TRX. I like that the tri fold doesn't take up any bed space with the roll cannister, but I like that the roll style doesn't block the rear window when fully open. The Retrax can also be opened and locked into any position and the tailgate can be opened/closed with the cover fully closed. I have to pop the rear portion of the Bakflip to close the gate. Basic observations I know, but just tossing in my $0.02.

Users who are viewing this thread