5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BAK MX4 or G2 or?

MS Delta

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2024 Ram 1500 Laramie and am trying to decide on a new tonneau cover. My 2016 had a Gator EFX on it purchased from Real Truck (great service) and while it worked great, the rail clamping system required some mods and loctitie in order to make it satisfactory.

I am seriously considering upgrading to a BAK cover (MX4 or G2) as they appear to be a more robust cover than the Gator. Whether that justifies $500 more is part of the decision process!

Another part of the dilemma is that the description between the two covers states that the MX4 will allow the tailgate to drop while closed, but the G2 will not (requires cover to be unlatched at rear). This is a feature of the rear seal on the MX4 being different than the G2. Whether or not this will prove to be useful or not and worth the slightly higher price, I don’t know.

For those that have been down this road, would you please offer your thoughts and/or advice? Thanks!

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2024 Ram 1500 Laramie and am trying to decide on a new tonneau cover. My 2016 had a Gator EFX on it purchased from Real Truck (great service) and while it worked great, the rail clamping system required some mods and loctitie in order to make it satisfactory.

I am seriously considering upgrading to a BAK cover (MX4 or G2) as they appear to be a more robust cover than the Gator. Whether that justifies $500 more is part of the decision process!

Another part of the dilemma is that the description between the two covers states that the MX4 will allow the tailgate to drop while closed, but the G2 will not (requires cover to be unlatched at rear). This is a feature of the rear seal on the MX4 being different than the G2. Whether or not this will prove to be useful or not and worth the slightly higher price, I don’t know.

For those that have been down this road, would you please offer your thoughts and/or advice? Thanks!
The mx4 when fully opened rests on the window. Does that have any consequences for a potential leak?

mplaramie

Reaction score
I also had the Gator EFX on my previous Rams. It was good for the price.

For the new 24 Laramie, I opted to go with the BAK MX4 from @Realtruck. The quality of the BAK is noticeably better vs the Gator. I would get the BAK MX4 but reach out to Amber @realtrfor a great price.

Realtruck

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
The G2 and MX4 are both aluminum covers, which is ideal for high sun locations. The G2 has a 3-year warranty, 300-pound weight capacity with a textured, gloss black finish. The MX4 has a 5-year warranty, 400-pound weight capacity and is a smooth, matte black finish. Each tonneau cover allows for full bed access and can be secured in this position for safe driving. When in the fully upright position, it rests on the cab just below the bed brake light. The provided bumpers prevent the cover from fully resting on the cab or the glass so that there's no damage from the tonneau.

As far as the dual action tailgate seal, I think the difference for the G2 may be in whether or not you have the MFTG. I'm going to check with the tech team to be certain and make that known here as soon as they get back to me.

If you have any questions on fitment, availability, shipping times, or would like a pricing quote, feel free to contact me directly! PM me or email me at [email protected].

Thanks for the shoutout @mplaramie!

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have had both. Yes you have to open the cover to close the tailgate on the G2. The problem with this is the seal will freeze to the tailgate in winter and then you can't get into the bed. The MX4 doesn't do this so you can still get into bed even if cover is closed and frozen onto the bed.

MS Delta

Reaction score
I have had both. Yes you have to open the cover to close the tailgate on the G2. The problem with this is the seal will freeze to the tailgate in winter and then you can't get into the bed. The MX4 doesn't do this so you can still get into bed even if cover is closed and frozen onto the bed.

Thanks 2019 Rebel! That’s exactly the type of information I need. Fortunately that occurrence (freezing) would be infrequent as I live in Mississippi. With the gator cover I had, I could actually open and shut the tailgate without unlatching the cover. My new truck however has the remote tailgate release and damper, and I would like to be able to take advantage of that feature for instance if my hands are full (I think?).

Realtruck

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
The G2 and MX4 are both aluminum covers, which is ideal for high sun locations. The G2 has a 3-year warranty, 300-pound weight capacity with a textured, gloss black finish. The MX4 has a 5-year warranty, 400-pound weight capacity and is a smooth, matte black finish. Each tonneau cover allows for full bed access and can be secured in this position for safe driving. When in the fully upright position, it rests on the cab just below the bed brake light. The provided bumpers prevent the cover from fully resting on the cab or the glass so that there's no damage from the tonneau.

As far as the dual action tailgate seal, I think the difference for the G2 may be in whether or not you have the MFTG. I'm going to check with the tech team to be certain and make that known here as soon as they get back to me.

If you have any questions on fitment, availability, shipping times, or would like a pricing quote, feel free to contact me directly! PM me or email me at [email protected].

Thanks for the shoutout @mplaramie!
The tech team has advised that the dual action tailgate seal will be included for the standard tailgate (non-MFTG), and that the tonneau cover would not interfere with the function of the powered tailgate. You can safely open and close the tailgate without the need to open the tonneau cover first.

Users who are viewing this thread