5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad FM radio reception anyone??

Reaction score
Not sure which subforum to put this in so feel free to move it if needed! I’m in NJ about 30 minutes from New York City, and my radio reception sucks. I get the channels, but you can hear noticeable static most of the time when listening to channels that normally come through without any issue on any radio you turn on around here. My job’s 1999 Ford F-150 falling apart around itself pulls in stations clear as day inside a building, my 2002 Altima with no visible exterior antenna built into it gets reception perfectly, and my $55k 2022 Ram can’t get reception from just outside one of the biggest broadcasting cities in the US….? 🥴
Anyone else encounter this or have some sort of insight? To be honest I really hate dealerships and their technicians these days (from past experiences with other brands) and for some reason I already have a feeling what’s going to happen when I go there, and get some sort of run-around “it must be a bad area” waste of time answer. Any advice on what I should do? 😞

MrMisk

Reaction score
Is it possible due to the length of the radio antenna? I don’t think wr actually have one anymore compared the old days. I know on some who the antenna is built into the rear glass.

Reaction score
Is it possible due to the length of the radio antenna? I don’t think wr actually have one anymore compared the old days. I know on some who the antenna is built into the rear glass.
Idk it could be, but I don’t really see that as an excuse either way. The way I see it is a super old technology has somehow gotten worse 20 years later lol? They’re able to pick up channels perfectly using basic technology 20-25 years ago and they can’t incorporate any sort of that into a brand new technology-filled truck to get equal performance lol. Idk I’m lost even thinking about it

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My truck picks up all FM radio stations just as good or better than the 2008 Tundra that it replaced, so there must be something wrong with your truck. Maybe the antenna cable isn't plugged into the shark fin or where it plugs into the radio.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have no issues with FM reception. It's one of the better vehicles I've owned for reception

MrMisk

Reaction score
Idk it could be, but I don’t really see that as an excuse either way. The way I see it is a super old technology has somehow gotten worse 20 years later lol? They’re able to pick up channels perfectly using basic technology 20-25 years ago and they can’t incorporate any sort of that into a brand new technology-filled truck to get equal performance lol. Idk I’m lost even thinking about it
Radios now are computers. Not what they were 10 years ago. youu can have the look at it with their test kits for radio where they test the cable an antenna an other crap.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can run the I heart radio app on your phone...

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think these antenna's are not that great. I had an 09 Challenger that never dropped the satellite radio signal and this truck will drop reception if I pass a couple 6 story buildings. I would hate to see what it does in NYC or another high rise city.

Reaction score
I think these antenna's are not that great. I had an 09 Challenger that never dropped the satellite radio signal and this truck will drop reception if I pass a couple 6 story buildings. I would hate to see what it does in NYC or another high rise city.
That’s disappointing

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Not sure which subforum to put this in so feel free to move it if needed! I’m in NJ about 30 minutes from New York City, and my radio reception sucks. I get the channels, but you can hear noticeable static most of the time when listening to channels that normally come through without any issue on any radio you turn on around here. My job’s 1999 Ford F-150 falling apart around itself pulls in stations clear as day inside a building, my 2002 Altima with no visible exterior antenna built into it gets reception perfectly, and my $55k 2022 Ram can’t get reception from just outside one of the biggest broadcasting cities in the US….? 🥴
Anyone else encounter this or have some sort of insight? To be honest I really hate dealerships and their technicians these days (from past experiences with other brands) and for some reason I already have a feeling what’s going to happen when I go there, and get some sort of run-around “it must be a bad area” waste of time answer. Any advice on what I should do? 😞
i would take it back to the dealer

Reaction score
Definitely not normal.
I just know I’m gonna go to the dealer and it’s going to get good reception there (and if they decide to drive it around a little it’ll sound fine), since that’s generally what happens when you bring in a vehicle with an intermittent issue lol

Users who are viewing this thread