5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad bumper alignment....

Livinfast85

Reaction score
Anyone else have an issue with your bumpers not being aligned correctly from the factory??? Both my front bumpers a shifted to one side. 20190417_143827.jpg 20190417_143911.jpg 20190417_143933.jpg 20190417_143940.jpg

cjmst23

Reaction score
That's nothing wrong... Just bad design

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
^^^. Yes this I totally agree with, but as it is a truck I’m not that picky.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Funny you should ask! My truck has been at the dealership since Friday to address my radio rebooting and also to have the front bumper alignment adjusted. My front bumper/ fascia alignment looks just like yours, however no issues with the rear. Supposedly, the radio is working and my truck has been sent to an outside body shop to get the front bumper adjusted. I’ll let you know what they say and post before/after pics.

BTW, there are plenty of other people having the same problem. If you do a search you'll find a few different threads...

Here’s one example:

cjmst23

Reaction score
The front fascia and bumper are 2 different shaped profiles. It can be slightly aligned to look "as good as possible", but the reality is that it's a ****ty design and just doesn't match up.

Now, with that said, I'll take that 1 deficiency over the 100s on the GM products (especially interior) and the work truck wrapped in leather Ford puts out every year.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree it’s a bad design, but I’m sure it wasn't designed to be crooked.

The gap between my front bumper and the front fascia is around 3/4” on the passenger side down to 1/4” on the driver side.

First, they tried to say there was nothing wrong with it. So I showed the Service Manager and he agreed with me, so he sent it out and we’ll see what happens.

I’m hoping they can at least make it look better then it is, because right now it’s obvious. I also had a side view mirror that was falling off and had to be replaced.

Last edited:

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
When you say side view mirror are you referring to the glass or the entire housing ?

cjmst23

Reaction score
I agree it’s a bad design, but I’m sure it was designed to be crooked.

The gap between my front bumper and the front fascia is around 3/4” on the passenger side down to 1/4” on the driver side.

First, they tried to say there was nothing wrong with it. So I showed the Service Manager and he agreed with me, so he sent it out and we’ll see what happens.

I’m hoping they can at least make it look better then it is, because right now it’s obvious. I also had a side view mirror that was falling off and had to be replaced.
Yep, definitely have them balance it out and even the gap. It WILL look better and put it out of your mind.

Livinfast85

Reaction score
^^^. Yes this I totally agree with, but as it is a truck I’m not that picky.
There is DEFINITELY something wrong and not just a bad design. I do fabrication inspection for a living. My front bumper is a full 1" to 1 1/2" towards the passenger side. And the back bumper is almost touching my truck on the passenger side and I can stick my whole hand behind it on the drivers side. Not bad design, just extremely crappy quality control from the assembly line.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think I have seen a 5th gen with a perfect front bumper/fascia alignment. I adjusted my grill and it helped some; but its still off. Hopefully someone will figure out the right way to get everything aligned.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep, definitely have them balance it out and even the gap. It WILL look better and put it out of your mind.
Got it back yesterday. It’s hard to tell in the pictures, but it definitely looks better. It’s more level, but not perfect. There is still a bigger gap on the passenger side compared to the driver, but not as noticeable. While I was at the dealership, I checked out the front bumper fit-up of a Big Horn, a Laramie and a Limited on the lot. None of them were perfect.

Unrelated to this thread, but while my truck was on its one week sleepover at the dealer, it picked up a nice ding on the passenger front door. Now I have to bring it back Monday for PDR. I’m, admittedly, pretty anal and the last thing I did before bringing it in was wash and wax it, for exactly this reason. I know there were no dents when I dropped it off. The Service Manager was cool and didn’t argue. Just annoying that I have to bring it back...again.. 4th time in the past month.

After looking at the pics again, it’s hard to tell the difference.. maybe because they were taken at different angles? In person, it definitely looks better.

Top pic is before, bottom is after
2897E572-B938-4B79-96C8-77871CD45B07.jpeg 5B01A68B-7EC1-4E59-89B0-05BEDECF05F2.jpeg

diesel9859

Reaction score

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My rear bumper appeared unlevel from front to rear. When looking at the truck from a side view, the back side of the bumper appeared to sag slightly. I fixed it by loosening the bolts and adding a single body shim on the bottom bolts. The rear bumper is perfectly aligned now.

Users who are viewing this thread