5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backup camera and winter

me1

Reaction score
Hi, could I use something like rainx for plastic on the backup camera lens and front and rear parking aid sensors to help prevent ice and snow buildup that blocks them making them not useable or has somebody found something better

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes, I'm not sure if it will help, but it won't cause any issues. If you do it, report back and let us know.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve done rainx and many other water beading options last year - I have the 360 cameras, and doesn’t make much of an impact.
On heavy snow days; the entire tailgate will be caked, including camera and lights.
Dirty water eventually makes you have to wipe your cameras.

I think In the rain, coating works best

ba3f10ec501d36512ca7ca088fc1430d.jpg

Last edited:

alpha_brit

Reaction score
I’ve done rainx and many other water beading options last year - I have the 360 cameras, and doesn’t make much of an impact.
On heavy snow days; the entire tailgate will be caked, including camera and lights.
Dirty water eventually makes you have to wipe your cameras.

I think In the rain, coating works best

ba3f10ec501d36512ca7ca088fc1430d.jpg
Yep, that looks about right for winter driving. My SUV isn't much better, I have to wipe the camera off regularly in winter or I'm looking through snow/salt/whatever sticks to the back of my car in nasty weather.

jth877

Reaction score
I love how they designed the back up camera to be the lowest point hanging off the upper tailgate lip. Every time the truck is wet I loose visibility.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love how they designed the back up camera to be the lowest point hanging off the upper tailgate lip. Every time the truck is wet I loose visibility.

Same, I usually just try to remember to wipe it off occasionally before getting in the truck.

Still better than the fancy cars with the flip down reverse cam (hidden until you put it in reverse), that will surely be fun to deal with in snow and ice.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Lose. Where would you put the camera?

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score

There really isn't a great place for it snowy/icy climates but I am curious to see what the digital rearview mirror is like during winter with the camera mounted by the third brake light. I hope that's able to continue working well/unobstructed because I've really gotten to love having that. The back up camera isn't as much of a loss, my tow mirrors allow me to see very well and I usually don't use the back up cam very much when backing in places.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
There really isn't a great place for it snowy/icy climates but I am curious to see what the digital rearview mirror is like during winter with the camera mounted by the third brake light. I hope that's able to continue working well/unobstructed because I've really gotten to love having that. The back up camera isn't as much of a loss, my tow mirrors allow me to see very well and I usually don't use the back up cam very much when backing in places.
As far as seeing what is directly behind the truck, a tailgate mounted camera is the best spot. The 3rd brake light camera will not be able to see the bumper area but it will definitely be less prone to getting gunked up with road grime.

The camera lens could be heated to prevent ice/snow build up but it won't do anything for water or road grime on the lens. It's unlikely a there's perfect solution but it won't prevent people from complaining about the current location...not directed at you.

jth877

Reaction score

Same spot, just on vertical surface so gravity works in my favor or have to lens cover shaped in such a way that it does the same thing. Software compensates for lens shape. Can't do crap about frost or road grime. Although I've never had enough grime on there even in winter for it to be an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread