5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backing up with tailgate down, "BRAKE!"

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
Is there an override to prevent "BRAKE" happening when backing up with the tailgate down?
It’s either in your uconnect under safety or on the dash with the rear sensors…. Just turn it off, mine is too sensitive and I’ve turned it off on both my trucks.

HAG1417

Reaction score
Yes turn the rear park sense with active braking off. Turn it to either just a warning or turn it off all together. Then return it to what you normally run. If your unaware it’s in the setup screen under I believe it something like “safety/ drivers something” can’t remember exactly what it’s called.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As mentioned, leave your parking sensors on, don't mess with the dash switches, just go to your Uconnect screen, under the safety and braking options, you can turn off the auto rear braking.

Your rear sensors stay active, while your auto rear braking turns off.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just press the switch on the rare occasion that I reverse with my tailgate down. As much as I dislike the nanny crap, it did save me once in a parking garage. The concrete column was the same color as the walls and I just didn't see it while trying to avoid all the other obstacles. The truck saw it though. Glad it did. I would have to think the rear "bumper" would crumple as fast as that beer can they bolt on the front.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
One of the first things I did when I got my truck was disable the auto braking. It sees a bush 20ft away, slams the brakes, and gives you whiplash.

barrak

Reaction score
One of the first things I did when I got my truck was disable the auto braking. It sees a bush 20ft away, slams the brakes, and gives you whiplash.
Same here. Drove me nuts with the tall grass hedging my driveway when I back out of my tight parking spot. However, I just turned off the dash button. I didn't realize I can keep it on and adjust a uConnect setting instead to keep the sensor warnings on with no auto braking.

Another related issue I noticed, even while the reverse auto-brake is off is the truck would not let me gain speed beyond crawling when the tailgate is down (had a loaded and strapped book cabinet lengthwise). An engine off/on cycle allowed normal driving in the two separate events it happened.

Users who are viewing this thread