5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backflip MX4 w/MFT

jaydoc1975

Reaction score
Well my soft tonneau cover from the factory finally bit the dust. I did not want to add aftermarket brackets so I found the the Backflip MX4 now works with the factory brackets. I am currently waiting for them to build my cover and have a tentative shipping date for late August. Does anyone have experience with this specific cover? Any helpful install tricks would be much appreciated. Looking forward to having a hard cover once again! Thanks in advance!

Switch22

Reaction score
Let us know how your installation goes. I've been debating what solution I wanted to look into. Wasn't aware of the bracket issue when I ordered the MFT on my truck. I prefer the look of the low profile hard folding covers. Was debating the idea of a roll-n-lock top, and whether that cannister mount would have sufficient structural integrity to do away with the brackets. What a pain. Seems like a poor design decision on the MFT.

jaydoc1975

Reaction score
Let us know how your installation goes. I've been debating what solution I wanted to look into. Wasn't aware of the bracket issue when I ordered the MFT on my truck. I prefer the look of the low profile hard folding covers. Was debating the idea of a roll-n-lock top, and whether that cannister mount would have sufficient structural integrity to do away with the brackets. What a pain. Seems like a poor design decision on the MFT.
I agree with you on the poor design! I'll check back after I get the new cover installed.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I agree with you on the poor design! I'll check back after I get the new cover installed.
I disagree about the MFT being a poor design. I've used other non-traditional tailgates, and the Ram MFT is hands-down the best design of those IMO. But then again, my MFT experience is with Rambox beds as well, and no extra brackets were needed for those. Good luck with your new cover. Hope the installation goes well. (y)

Switch22

Reaction score
I disagree about the MFT being a poor design. I've used other non-traditional tailgates, and the Ram MFT is hands-down the best design of those IMO. But then again, my MFT experience is with Rambox beds as well, and no extra brackets were needed for those. Good luck with your new cover. Hope the installation goes well. (y)
The MFT design concept, I really like. The support brackets in the front corners of the bed for us "non-Rambox owners" are ridiculous. I wouldn't have order the MFT if I knew about those beforehand (didn't really want the Ram boxes). (I have to wonder who approved that solution anyhow, it even LOOKS stupid, as though the truck needs extra pieces to hold the bed together - what a joke.) I've heard about some aftermarket brackets that appear to solve the issue with some covers, but it seems that getting a cover on my truck is going to be a pita, and I may have to compromise with a product other than what I prefer. Guess it's research time.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The MFT design concept, I really like. The support brackets in the front corners of the bed for us "non-Rambox owners" are ridiculous. I wouldn't have order the MFT if I knew about those beforehand (didn't really want the Ram boxes). (I have to wonder who approved that solution anyhow, it even LOOKS stupid, as though the truck needs extra pieces to hold the bed together - what a joke.) I've heard about some aftermarket brackets that appear to solve the issue with some covers, but it seems that getting a cover on my truck is going to be a pita, and I may have to compromise with a product other than what I prefer. Guess it's research time.
Yeah, I can honestly say I've never even seen those brackets in person. Judging by pictures I've seen though I can understand why you aren't happy. I've read mixed reviews about the Rite-on aftermarket brackets.

Switch22

Reaction score
Yeah, I can honestly say I've never even seen those brackets in person. Judging by pictures I've seen though I can understand why you aren't happy. I've read mixed reviews about the Rite-on aftermarket brackets.
I just don't understand some of the engineering decisions that are made now days. I heard that the MFT was in development already way back in 2017. I forget when it was released as an option on the trucks, but seriously? That much time in development, and they couldn't come up with a better structural solution than those stupid brackets for us non-RamBox owners? I confirmed with BakFlip that their MX4 cover works with the MFT and the brackets, but I have to then change out the rails from my bed utility group. The MX4 won't work with black rails, only the silver. Wtf? From what I've seen on other threads, the black was supposed to only be for those trucks that were ordered with the BUG and the Mopar foldable cover, which mine was not. Then again, it seems the factory does whatever they want or can with their trucks now days. We get what we get, and should just be thankful, I guess. When I test drove a Laramie on the lot, it had the reclining rear seats and the larger full size console in the back as well. Mine showed up with neither, but I had the pleasure of paying an inflated price over the sticker on an older build '22 that DID have those features. It's a mad world. We best just learn now to deal with it. Love my truck, could just do without the little aggravations.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread