5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backflip MX4 issues

21Bighornnightedition

Reaction score
Searched the forums for a comprehensive discussion on Backflip mx4 so I hope I am not duplicating.
I recently added an MX4 to my 2021 Bighorn 5.7. The concerns are:
* Water leakage at the center fold
* Water leakage at the tailgate
* One corner piece broke off in shipping (Truck Hero sent free replacement)
*The rubber side seals do not fit flush even after sitting in the sun, especially at the area over the fold hinges.

Am I expecting too much from this cover? My previous soft trifold was waterproof and was 1/3 the cost.
Any advice would be appreciated.

dandar

Reaction score
Photos might be helpful. I have had this cover on mine since 2019. Never had water leak at the center fold. Even after my teenage daughter stood on it the cover never bent or leaked. Yes at the tailgate, but that's cause the tailgate doesn't seal from the factory. I added rubber tailgate seal from Amazon for $20 to take care of that. I still get some water after car wash at the corners where I didn't use the tailgate seal for aesthetic reasons but it's minimal now.

I'm not sure what you mean by corner piece braking off. Do you mean the plastic rail cap? I lost those a while ago. Moving soil, mulch and brush and then blowing off the bed will do that easily. My friend with another 5th gen Ram didn't even get those and we both ordered directly from Bak Industries.

The rubber side seals should sit flush. You may have to adjust your rails a little lower.

gpbst3

Reaction score
I have a blackflip and had issues with water leaking at the rear cab. I ended up taking the cover off trouble shooting and found the metal brackets at the cab were blocking the drain tube holes. I dont know if it was manufacturing issue or an install issue. I ended up drilling the holes out and i put silicone down under the rails. It doesnt leak at all now. But these are things that should not have been needed. I will not buy another backflip. I wish I would have got another undercover flex

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
you must have got a bad one, I have no leaks at-all, even after down pours, car washes etc..love the quality.

Appyfan

Reaction score
Searched the forums for a comprehensive discussion on Backflip mx4 so I hope I am not duplicating.
*The rubber side seals do not fit flush even after sitting in the sun, especially at the area over the fold hinges.

Am I expecting too much from this cover? My previous soft trifold was waterproof and was 1/3 the cost.
I have some water spots at the center fold and corners. Nothing at the tailgate. My rubber side seals seem ok. I also had a corner piece broken in shipment. It’s been a week since I called for the corner piece and a missing bracket to store the support strut. I called again today because I hadn’t heard or received anything, and was told my corner piece (4 of them?) were scheduled to be delivered today, but no support bracket. That will be sent out today, and I’ll send you an email with the tracking info. That was a couple hours ago....nothing yet. And just called home, no package delivered from Bakflip.

Appyfan

Reaction score

I have some water spots at the center fold and corners. Nothing at the tailgate. My rubber side seals seem ok. I also had a corner piece broken in shipment. It’s been a week since I called for the corner piece and a missing bracket to store the support strut. I called again today because I hadn’t heard or received anything, and was told my corner piece (4 of them?) were scheduled to be delivered today, but no support bracket. That will be sent out today, and I’ll send you an email with the tracking info. That was a couple hours ago....nothing yet. I

jeffrey5679

Reaction score

I had a bunch of issues with my MX4 on my 2020 bighorn. The first cover had misaligned holes. Didn't line up with the rails. Second cover had the same issue and a leak in the center fold. The third one still had slightly misaligned holes but I was able to make it fit. For the cost of these covers, they should have a better a quality inspection system in place.

Sengdemund

Reaction score
I’ve had 5 Bak covers and they have all been giant piles of trash including the 3 month old MX4 on this truck...it’s just they are so practical and good looking on the truck that I’ve just learned accept it.

gpbst3

Reaction score
I’ve had 5 Bak covers and they have all been giant piles of trash including the 3 month old MX4 on this truck...it’s just they are so practical and good looking on the truck that I’ve just learned accept it.
Undercover Flex is the same type of cover as the bakflip just better made

21Bighornnightedition

Reaction score
Photos might be helpful. I have had this cover on mine since 2019. Never had water leak at the center fold. Even after my teenage daughter stood on it the cover never bent or leaked. Yes at the tailgate, but that's cause the tailgate doesn't seal from the factory. I added rubber tailgate seal from Amazon for $20 to take care of that. I still get some water after car wash at the corners where I didn't use the tailgate seal for aesthetic reasons but it's minimal now.

I'm not sure what you mean by corner piece braking off. Do you mean the plastic rail cap? I lost those a while ago. Moving soil, mulch and brush and then blowing off the bed will do that easily. My friend with another 5th gen Ram didn't even get those and we both ordered directly from Bak Industries.

The rubber side seals should sit flush. You may have to adjust your rails a little lower.
dander, thanks for responding. I'll look into a tailgate seal, do you mean at the top of the tailgate where the cover contacts the top surface?
Will also check the rails again. I thought I had them down nicely and the clamps aligned with the grooves in the rails but will check for adjustment.
I'd really like to make this cover work, for the $cost hate to discard it.

21Bighornnightedition

Reaction score
I have a blackflip and had issues with water leaking at the rear cab. I ended up taking the cover off trouble shooting and found the metal brackets at the cab were blocking the drain tube holes. I dont know if it was manufacturing issue or an install issue. I ended up drilling the holes out and i put silicone down under the rails. It doesnt leak at all now. But these are things that should not have been needed. I will not buy another backflip. I wish I would have got another undercover flex
Thanks for the response. The drain holes seem to be clear.
On the silicone did you put it on the top of the bed sides then the rails on top? I'm concerned that may discolor or deface the plastic on the bed sides??

21Bighornnightedition

Reaction score
you must have got a bad one, I have no leaks at-all, even after down pours, car washes etc..love the quality.
OldMarine, glad to hear you are having good success with your cover. TruckHero doesn't feel the leaking issues are warranty covered and suggest "adjusting the install". I'll be trying that suggestion and the other suggestions from the members here. Hoping to make it better.

21Bighornnightedition

Reaction score
I have some water spots at the center fold and corners. Nothing at the tailgate. My rubber side seals seem ok. I also had a corner piece broken in shipment. It’s been a week since I called for the corner piece and a missing bracket to store the support strut. I called again today because I hadn’t heard or received anything, and was told my corner piece (4 of them?) were scheduled to be delivered today, but no support bracket. That will be sent out today, and I’ll send you an email with the tracking info. That was a couple hours ago....nothing yet. And just called home, no package delivered from Bakflip.
Appyfan, it took a couple weeks for the replacement corners to arrive and there was no tracking information, I guess because there was no invoice. Like you I felt like the replacement was lost, but it did arrive.
Have you been able to find a solution for the center fold leakage?
Thanks for responding

21Bighornnightedition

Reaction score
I had a bunch of issues with my MX4 on my 2020 bighorn. The first cover had misaligned holes. Didn't line up with the rails. Second cover had the same issue and a leak in the center fold. The third one still had slightly misaligned holes but I was able to make it fit. For the cost of these covers, they should have a better a quality inspection system in place.
Wow 3 tries? I agree there should be better QC. But after reading the other responses to my post it seems like a lot of added work and frustration to get a reasonable water seal on such an expensive cover. I see others talking about the "Flex" being better. Without warranty on mine I sure can't afford another cover.... that would be pushing $2k, out of my reach and not practical imo.
Thanks for the information

21Bighornnightedition

Reaction score
Undercover Flex is the same type of cover as the bakflip just better made
Thanks for letting me know about the Flex. I did a good bit of research and watched a number of utubes. Thought I picked a quality cover but it seems like it's hit or miss to get a good fit without leaks

Appyfan

Reaction score
Appyfan, it took a couple weeks for the replacement corners to arrive and there was no tracking information, I guess because there was no invoice. Like you I felt like the replacement was lost, but it did arrive.
Have you been able to find a solution for the center fold leakage?
Thanks for responding
Thanks 21Bighornnight, it just came yesterday. I’m not sure yet on the center fold leakage. There hasn’t been a good rain since. We did have heavy, wet snow once and it didn’t leak. I’m going to wash it today and see it anything leaks. I’ll let you know.

I washed it with a pressure washer (not extreme pressure) and had a lot of leaking at the tailgate. No leaks at the front corners, and just a few drops at the center fold. Those could have been blown back from the tailgate. i think I’ll try dander’s fix with the tailgate seal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online