5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backed into tree. New bumper?

Timbow

Reaction score
Well, I managed to back into a tree at the campground last week. Outside of bumper is fine but broke the inner plastic structure in a few spots. Anyone know if I can replace just the inner structure or do I need to order an entire new bumper? Can’t seem to figure out what part I need from the parts diagrams I’ve found. A2FEA1CA-A96A-4D15-869D-B02CB4B08D74.jpeg

cervelo15

Reaction score
Well, I managed to back into a tree at the campground last week. Outside of bumper is fine but broke the inner plastic structure in a few spots. Anyone know if I can replace just the inner structure or do I need to order an entire new bumper? Can’t seem to figure out what part I need from the parts diagrams I’ve found. View attachment 103141
So I just had an experience with someone backing into my truck 2 weeks ago, and my entire bumper needs to be replaced because of the bumper being pushed up. But I did call the dealer and it sounds like the bumper piece is one part, and the plastic steppad is another separate part. Both together roun around $850. But you may just need to get the step pad piece itself. Not sure what that links to behind the bumper.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You don't have parking sensors? It saved me from backing into a tree a few weeks ago by automatically applying the ebrakes. :ROFLMAO:

Timbow

Reaction score
You don't have parking sensors? It saved me from backing into a tree a few weeks ago by automatically applying the ebrakes. :ROFLMAO:
I do but the damn things stay off even after I unhook my trailer and I have to remember to manually turn them back on. I had just unhooked the trailer and was moving the truck into a tight parking spot beside the trailer and I didn’t realize they were still turned off.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
How did you not see the tree? I keep my rear parking sensors off. To me they are not needed since I have surround view and the standard backup cameras, along with mirrors. I trust my eyes more than those sensors. I certainly wouldn't rely on them.

cervelo15

Reaction score
How did you not see the tree? I keep my rear parking sensors off. To me they are not needed since I have surround view and the standard backup cameras, along with mirrors. I trust my eyes more than those sensors. I certainly wouldn't rely on them.
Same here, backing my truck in garage i never use the backup camera....old fashioned using the side mirrors and have a tennis ball tied from the ceiling that hits the back window when im in far enough.

jessed1

Reaction score
Same here, backing my truck in garage i never use the backup camera....old fashioned using the side mirrors and have a tennis ball tied from the ceiling that hits the back window when im in far enough.
I switched from a tennis ball to one of these (dang kids used to hit tennis ball with bats)
E701A792-E6F8-42A1-BFF1-DF84A212B024.jpeg

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do but the damn things stay off even after I unhook my trailer and I have to remember to manually turn them back on. I had just unhooked the trailer and was moving the truck into a tight parking spot beside the trailer and I didn’t realize they were still turned off.
Oh gotcha! I did turn my front sensor off one time, and forgot to turn it back on after a few days.

Timbow

Reaction score
Oh gotcha! I did turn my front sensor off one time, and forgot to turn it back on after a few days.
Not that that is an excuse for hitting the tree. It was a really narrow spot between the forest and our camper that I needed to park in. I was trying to get as close to the tree as I could so my front end wasn’t hanging into the road too much. There was also a boulder that I was concentrating on that I needed to make sure my front end cleared. Anyways, the beep would have saved me but I should have been paying more attention

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, new bumper. Your bumper is steel and therefore hard to repair depending on how bad it was.

Here's my experience...total cost ended up being $4500 and about 28 days to get all parts in. Not, I had a hole in my multi-function tailgate as well. so that increased the cost by a bunch.
download

IzRxKC3.jpeg
PkX5z8W.jpeg
25TDeGg.jpeg

SYhDVJT.jpeg
nwVLGD9.jpeg

Sportznut

Reaction score
I know somebody that had his repaired by one of those mobile body shops. Was less than $500. Pretty impressive results.

His was dented from his trailer hitch hitting it while being towed but not latched properly.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread