5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Back up lights are just not bright enough

Lezmark

Reaction score
I did a search but couldnt easily find what I am looking for. Backing up my driveway, the lights just dont allow me to see well. I have considered bulbs as well as hitch and plate mounted bars. I could use some recommendations please. The idea of the hitch mount is appealing but I see negative reviews. Please share what has worked for you. Thanks

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I did a search but couldnt easily find what I am looking for. Backing up my driveway, the lights just dont allow me to see well. I have considered bulbs as well as hitch and plate mounted bars. I could use some recommendations please. The idea of the hitch mount is appealing but I see negative reviews. Please share what has worked for you. Thanks

Many options from fellow members.

Dyeelitt

Reaction score
Initially I used the Diode Dynamics hitch and it worked well. I saw they had a kit with brackets and 2 lights and I changed to that and it’s amazing, easy install, plug and play, although for the passenger side light I had to get a longer bolt to accommodate the bracket thickness.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a few posts in the above compilation. I purchased Amazon LED lights and mounted them in the plastic pieces under the bumper that also house the backup sensors. I like the looks of my install, as it looks like a factory job, but the angle they shoot is still too low. I will not be adjusting them again, because I get enough light from them. If I were to do it again, I would install the same lights in the plastic piece above the bumper and below the tailgate. The angle of that mounting surface would blast light straight out, while still keeping the lights low profile.

screen-shot-2021-12-31-at-4-05-54-pm-png.115509

Lezmark

Reaction score
Initially I used the Diode Dynamics hitch and it worked well. I saw they had a kit with brackets and 2 lights and I changed to that and it’s amazing, easy install, plug and play, although for the passenger side light I had to get a longer bolt to accommodate the bracket thickness.

Thanks for the help. I like the looks of these. Before I ordered I looked under my 2023 and couldnt quite see how the plug detached or where. Can you help? Thanks again

Lezmark

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I like the looks of these. Before I ordered I looked under my 2023 and couldnt quite see how the plug detached or where. Can you help? Thanks again
I cant see the retention clips they talk about in the video. Am I stoopid?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It the 7-pun trailer wire harness connector. The release is kind of on top. Easier if you drop the spare tire so you have more room to work and see what you need to do, if you aren't familiar with disconnecting this style connector.

Dyeelitt

Reaction score
The 7 pin wiring harness. Diode dynamics has a great harness that plugs in and provides the connectors for the lights. If you go to the Diode dynamics website they have a video that walks you through the complete installation

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The 7 pin wiring harness. Diode dynamics has a great harness that plugs in and provides the connectors for the lights. If you go to the Diode dynamics website they have a video that walks you through the complete installation
The diode dynamics harness is more expensive than the @VICE design one

Users who are viewing this thread