5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Back up camera

N7GZN

Reaction score
Yes, I have had the black screen very intermittently, and it seems to occur when parked outside in colder temperatures.

One item to check is the tailgate harness connector below and at the center of the tailgate, on the truck.
Leaving the gate closed, and release the locking tab on the RH side of the plastic cover.
Crawl underneath and release the two christmas tree wire harness mounts closest to the tailgate connectors.
Then pull the cover and connectors out from underneath the gate, they can now be unlocked from the cover, disconnected, and inspected.
Keep the connector ends clean, don't allow dirt to enter.
Any corrosion of the pins may require repair or replacement. Note: The camera video is a coaxial cable. The multi wire cable is for the pin switches and the gate release solenoid.
If ok, reassemble in reverse order, making sure that the locks in the connectors fully lock upon reassembly.

N7GZN

Reaction score
Oh, and one thing I forgot to mention, remove the fabric tape holding the tailgate harness to the plastic cover, this will allow the connectors to be removed from the mounting plate. I did not replace the fabric tape upon reassembly.

Users who are viewing this thread