5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Back into a Ram

wiskyram

Reaction score
I had a 2016 Ram Outdoorsman with the V6 that I traded for a 2018 Ford XLT with the 2.7. My Ram was a quad cab and when I was shopping for a new truck Ford had the largest crew cab available (two growing boys made the change necessary) and I also had a company car that made owning a truck easier. I leased the F150 because I had heard horror stories about the ecoboosts and didn't want to be stuck in anything long term. I will never do that again regardless of the situation but that's a whole different story...

Fast forward 3 years and Ram's new interiors seem to be beyond even the updated F150. GM's are lagging way behind in my opinion, although that could be changing soon. After test driving both a new F150 and a new Ram it was a pretty easy decision as to which to go with. My situation changed slightly though in that I will no longer have a company car and will be putting close to 35,000 miles on per year. This is where the decision became harder. I don't 'need' a truck for work or to tow, but one becomes used to having something as useful as a full sized truck.

Looking at powertrains, I think this is where choosing a Ram becomes harder for someone like myself. Having owned the Pentastar in the past I was comfortable with that engine but was looking for better fuel mileage (I only got about 18 mpg with my older Ram) and the Hemi seems incredibly thirsty. That left me looking at EcoDiesels to see if that was really a cost effective alternative. After doing a ton of research (too much per my wife), I decided I would give the diesel a try for my new truck. I was able to locate one on my preferred dealer lot that was spec'd close to how I would have built one and took it for a test drive. I also took my current truck on the same loop to see what kind of differences I would see.

First, the Rams interior is just that much nicer. It's only a Big Horn, so no luxury truck, but the interior finishes are just better. I didn't have all the problems a lot of people did with the F150 with the extremely warped dash or frozen door locks (I do live in Central Wisconsin so it could have been an issue) but the interior is just not as nice. Hard plastic everywhere and just not quite as nice as the Ram. On the test drive loop with both trucks, the Ram rode so much smoother than the Ford as well. I think two things contribute to the ride quality, one being the difference in suspension set ups but the other being with the Ford being so much lighter. It just doesn't feel as 'planted' going over bumps. Again, I live in Central Wisconsin and are roads take a beating during winters so rough roads are just a thing we have to deal with.

I also got quite a bit better gas mileage with the Ram, which I was expecting. 28 mpg with the Ram compared to 20 with my F150. Just made the decision a little easier. Plus all the extras that I will be getting on the new Ram compared to my current truck. Power folding mirrors, heated steering wheel, the safety package, LED headlights, Rambox, dampened tailgate (also much lighter than my current truck) are just a few of the things that are included on the truck I will be buying that I don't have on my F150. And only about $1000 more on the MSRP compared to my 3 year old F150 (which I'm sure Ford's pricing has gone up since then).

Dealer is throwing in spray-in bedliner and tonneau cover so the truck should be ready next week Tuesday or Wednesday but I'm excited to be back in a Ram. A little unsure of the EcoDiesel (only because it will be my first diesel vehicle) but I'm really looking forward to this new truck.

Sorry for the long post.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2020Rebel is my first diesel, I sure like the fuel efficiency of my new truck.
The Diesel engine will pay for itself, specially if you put all those miles every year.
The services are more expensive compared to gas engines, I supply the dealer with the OEM filters and oil that I purchase elsewhere and only get charged the labour for the oil change, it was $30.17 labour and around $120 for oil and filter. The dealer price would have been $240 so I saved $90. These are Canadian prices, not sure where you are located, I know the filters are a lot cheaper in the States.

Enjoy your new ride when you get it.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Congrats and welcome.

35k/year is a lot of miles. You’ll use the diesel’s 5yr/100k powertrain warranty pretty quickly!

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new truck. When you go to fill it up the first couple times just remember it’s a diesel . lol

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Congrats and welcome.

35k/year is a lot of miles. You’ll use the diesel’s 5yr/100k powertrain warranty pretty quickly!
Just a note, the 3L V6 VM Motori Diesel in the Ram or Jeep has the same warranty than all other engines, the only exception is the 6.7L Cummins has a separate warranty.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just a note, the 3L V6 VM Motori Diesel in the Ram or Jeep has the same warranty than all other engines, the only exception is the 6.7L Cummins has a separate warranty.

No, the 3.0 VM diesel in Ram /Jeep gets 5yr/100k warranty vs standard 5yr/60k with the gassers

730DBD91-117E-41E5-A5A7-01DC22AAC566.png
74C17A36-5C2D-48CB-9CB0-A68203C9F8DE.png
E1D345E5-2006-4F38-B9A7-159A89A4CBB8.png

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, the 3.0 VM diesel in Ram /Jeep gets 5yr/100k warranty vs standard 5yr/60k with the gassers

View attachment 85643
View attachment 85644
View attachment 85645
We are actually both right, in each of our countries, I was not aware of the extended warranty for the ecodiesel in the USA, here in Canada the warranty is the same for all engines except the Cummins. Our warranty is in Kilometre, 100,000km is equivalent to 60,000miles. See the image. AA2FA30A-CF1B-4D97-BBEE-4CAD538A6675.png

wiskyram

Reaction score
Yeah, one of the things that made me feel better about the ecodiesel was the longer powertrain warranty. It may not last 5 years for me but 100,000 is still a good long time.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yeah, one of the things that made me feel better about the ecodiesel was the longer powertrain warranty. It may not last 5 years for me but 100,000 is still a good long time.
I think it’s whichever one comes first. If you have 20,000 miles at 5 years, warranty is still up. At least that how it’s been on my other vehicles. Can someone clarify?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think it’s whichever one comes first. If you have 20,000 miles at 5 years, warranty is still up. At least that how it’s been on my other vehicles. Can someone clarify?

Whichever comes first, correct.

Users who are viewing this thread