5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Back in the shop it goes - engine knock sensor $900 fix

myles

Reaction score
so 25 months and 70k miles and the truck is back at the dealer.
Truck went into limp mode, the check engine light came on, dash said "service DEF system" so I limped it straight to the dealer.
It ended up being a bad knock sensor which was $700 and $200 in labor since it's electrical and not covered under warranty

hopefully nothing else major any time soon, this makes 3 times it's been in for motor issues
1st trip: timing chain cover leak & rear axle bearing leak (warranty)
2nd trip: oil filter housing leak (warranty)
3rd trip: engine knock sensor - $900 (not covered by warranty)

But ya, just an update so people can kind of see how the truck lasts.

Last edited:

tom318

Reaction score
Yikes....my confidence is slowly going down. I'm at 15 months and 40k and thankfully so far (apart from someone hitting me) its been solid. Total BS that was covered under warranty.

41magmag41

Reaction score
my 2019 bighorn 4x4, quad cab, 5.7, 3.92 rear, with 71000 just came out of the dealer shop with a $4000 bill. Front diff and passenger side half shaft had started wearing and stripping. At least ramcares picked up $3700 of the bill. Just a notice to keep an eye on those areas.

daustin

Reaction score
This is right from the warranty information manual under the Five year 100,000 mile Powertrain Limited Warranty. I wonder if you can fight to get the cost covered. It says all sensors are covered.

1643991088731.png

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Truck went into limp mode, the check engine light came on, dash said "service DEF system" so I limped it straight to the dealer.
It ended up being a bad knock sensor which was $700 and $200 in labor since it's electrical and not covered under warranty

hopefully nothing else major any time soon, this makes 3 times it's been in for motor issues

I believe you’re referring to the NOX sensor and not the knock sensor…correct? Our Ecodiesels do not have knock sensors like gas engines.

The NOX sensor on a diesel is “typically” covered under the Federal Emissions Warranty which on a 2020 Ram 1500 ED is good for 2 years/24K miles. There is an 8 year/80K extended Federal Emissions Warranty for specific components including the Catalytic Converter, PCM, OC/PFA and SCRCA (page 14 of the 20202 Diesel Supplement).

With that said, I know of two members on another forum who were able to get their dealer to cover replacement under the powertrain warranty but that was before COVID and the ensuing dealer greed we are all experiencing now. It’s worth asking…

fishslayer

Reaction score

hmmm sorry to hear . My 2017 Hemi Crew was absolutely bulletproof.. Oil/filters/tires was all it ever needed in 4 years. My new 21 is doing great. Before the 17 Ram I had a 2015 Sierra Crew. pure junk! after 13 factory recalls, 5 trips to shop for defective ignition coils [one by one, they refused to replace all 8] one trip for Trans sticking in 3rd gear, one for cracked exhaust manifold, and finally power steering failure was the last straw. Traded it in while they replaced steering. only 28K on it ..

myles

Reaction score
I believe you’re referring to the NOX sensor and not the knock sensor…correct? Our Ecodiesels do not have knock sensors like gas engines.

The NOX sensor on a diesel is “typically” covered under the Federal Emissions Warranty which on a 2020 Ram 1500 ED is good for 2 years/24K miles. There is an 8 year/80K extended Federal Emissions Warranty for specific components including the Catalytic Converter, PCM, OC/PFA and SCRCA (page 14 of the 20202 Diesel Supplement).

With that said, I know of two members on another forum who were able to get their dealer to cover replacement under the powertrain warranty but that was before COVID and the ensuing dealer greed we are all experiencing now. It’s worth asking…
Ohh, I probably misunderstood him over the phone and assumed it was a knock sensor.

but ya NOX sensor would make sense since I was getting a service DEF message

and as far as getting it covered under warranty would be a pain in the *** and don’t feel like fighting with them. I already got my truck back like a week or 2 ago and getting a refund will probably be a nightmare

myles

Reaction score
Yikes....my confidence is slowly going down. I'm at 15 months and 40k and thankfully so far (apart from someone hitting me) its been solid. Total BS that was covered under warranty.
you gotta remember that most people that are happy with their truck don’t hang out on forums and post about how reliable it is. Most people on here are looking for custom mods or because the truck broke down

look up your favorite company on the BBB website and i guanantee is has a 1 or 2 star rating, that doesn’t mean it a crap company. Just that unhappy people are usually the loudest.

I’m still very happy with the truck, a $900 repair in 70k miles I would say is pretty good especially considering most people would take 3-5 years to hit 70k

myles

Reaction score
hmmm sorry to hear . My 2017 Hemi Crew was absolutely bulletproof.. Oil/filters/tires was all it ever needed in 4 years. My new 21 is doing great. Before the 17 Ram I had a 2015 Sierra Crew. pure junk! after 13 factory recalls, 5 trips to shop for defective ignition coils [one by one, they refused to replace all 8] one trip for Trans sticking in 3rd gear, one for cracked exhaust manifold, and finally power steering failure was the last straw. Traded it in while they replaced steering. only 28K on it ..
Oof, my last truck was also a 15’ Sierra 1500. Nice truck but the ac went out at 50k, power steering motor at 75 and torque converted blew up and took the trans with it at 108k. None of it was covered under warranty. The trans was $4500 to fix so I just limped it to Carmax and sold it to them.

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
Had a 14 sport that was in for service only once in 5 years. I traded that in for a 19 at twice the cost. It’s been in 5 times in 2 months of ownership. Parts on back order which means more trips to the shop. Had an antifreeze smell that they couldn’t sort out, as of yesterday morning the truck took 2 litres of antifreeze to top up. So, back in again for that situation. Confidence? None at all, sorry. Thinking Toyota next time, that’s what my friends who are service professionals tell me. I own a business and need my truck to work, this is affecting time and money.

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
Purchased end of October this year:

12” screen replaced (“goodwill”)
Driver’s side step motor
Passenger side motor went 2 days after the other side was fixed
Coolant leak/smell, as of now unsolved, goes in this week.
Ram box lids replaced, panels are now a total mess, torqued, wavy and a 1/4” out of alignment - service manger said he’d contact Ram regarding a solution, never heard back
Weatherstripping on back order, foam added but now the door is almost a 1/4” out of alignment until parts come in - passenger side has the same issue
Battery was dead within 2 weeks of owning it - so, it was dead to begin with
Winding/whirring sound out of right front when turning right

I’m thinking maybe that’s it, but I can’t remember. Don’t know that buying new instead of a couple years old would solve anything, maybe a little piece of mind warranty-wise.

tom318

Reaction score
you gotta remember that most people that are happy with their truck don’t hang out on forums and post about how reliable it is. Most people on here are looking for custom mods or because the truck broke down

look up your favorite company on the BBB website and i guanantee is has a 1 or 2 star rating, that doesn’t mean it a crap company. Just that unhappy people are usually the loudest.

I’m still very happy with the truck, a $900 repair in 70k miles I would say is pretty good especially considering most people would take 3-5 years to hit 70k
That’s actually very true and good point!! I’m very happy with mine and hope it stays that way. All brands have there issues if you look hard enough. I actually think so far this 3rd gen motor is pretty good. I check the diesel section of this forum daily and have been for almost 2yrs now and honestly it’s not often people have issues. I read your post and came in with a bad attitude that day hahaha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/