5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Back at it again

jamesfg

Reaction score
I gotta find that inch of lift I lost when I swapped over to the OEM struts. I'm at 1 3/4 lower in the front after putting the spare tire and OBA in the back of the truck.
20181021_123457.jpg

jamesfg

Reaction score
The stands that I have work just fine thank you very much.

jamesfg

Reaction score
So, what'ya gonna do?

I'm gonna measure the 17 struts and see where I'm at as far as height wise. I'll build one of the OEM struts and see what the measurement on that is. Then going to change the configurations with both struts with and without the preload spacer to see which one is going to get me that missing clearance. The rear only dropped by 3/4" with the spare tire mount and OBA, I'll say I was thinking it'd be more of a drop with that weight out back. Gotta get this figured out today as it's going in for alignment tomorrow.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't see what it would hurt to still run the Bilsteins that it came with. It will give you an extra inch in the front and all your angles should still be well within the proper specs.

Also, I didn't realize the kit used a small preload spacer in the front as well. It looks like it is only good for an inch. If you end up leaving it at its current height, you could use the stock Bilsteins and do away with the preload spacer for a slightly better ride.

Last edited:

jamesfg

Reaction score
I don't see what it would hurt to still run the Bilsteins that it came with. It will give you an extra inch in the front and all your angles should still be well within the proper specs.

Also, I didn't realize the kit used a small preload spacer in the front as well. It looks like it is only good for an inch. If you end up leaving it at its current height, you could use the stock Bilsteins and do away with the preload spacer for a slightly better ride.

You are spot on and are on the same thought page as me. I removed the 17 1500 struts and are in the process of putting the Rebel struts back in without the spacer. Based on measurements I perceive that I'll get 7/8" additional height without the pre load spacer.

Time to reassemble and measure. If it's not enough, oh well take it apart and stick the spacers in.

jamesfg

Reaction score
Rebel front strut, no pre load spacer. No BS, got 1 1/4" more clearance up front.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rebel front strut, no pre load spacer. No BS, got 1 1/4" more clearance up front.
Thats insane. What struts were you using originally? Struts from another 2019? Or struts from a 4th gen? I know 4th gen struts are not as long as the 2019s and is why nobody is leveling with Bilsteins yet.

Edit-just read you were using the 17 struts, missed it the first time around.

Last edited:

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks great! I was curious as to why you were into the 17' struts, but thought I'd leave well enough alone, since you seemed pretty clear on what you were trying to achieve.

jamesfg

Reaction score
Yeah I used 17 1500 struts. Ya know freaking RC telling me that the lift wouldn't fit and the potential geometry probs with the front axles I decided to un Rebel the front. Being the trendsetter I had a feeling that I'd be disassembling the front or rear set up at some point to do some final tweaking to get it where it'd need to be.

The 17 struts were only 1/8" shorter measuring from the center of the bolt hole to the base of the strut. The big difference (7/8") was the location of the clip that supports the lower spring perch. I dunno how I got such a big increase even after driving it for 3 miles after install and hitting the brakes to get it to settle.
Just got back from alignment spot and everything is up to spec, steering wheel is dead center, doesn't pull or drift while driving.

Users who are viewing this thread