5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AWD High on the Highway

thedream829

Reaction score
I often forget to turn back on 2WD when I go from the back country into many miles of highway pavement. Is it okay to leave the 4WD on all the time?

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Its not ideal, it will wear the tires a little faster. It will usually remind you that you are still in 4x the first time you take a slow corner :LOL: but should not really hurt anything, the tires are the weakest link. My opinion for what it is worth

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you go over 55mph? I'm not sure what exactly happens if you do go over 55, but you're not supposed too.

laramie4x4

Reaction score
mainly wearing out the axles i think. as long as you did not do it for months, should be fine

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
If by AWD you mean 4WD Auto, then no, no you will cause no damage to axles or undue wear on tires, no matter what the speed. Just a slight decrease (if any) in MPG due to parasitic drag, as 4WD Auto only engages when it detecs loss of traction.

thedream829

Reaction score
If by AWD you mean 4WD Auto, then no, no you will cause no damage to axles or undue wear on tires, no matter what the speed. Just a slight decrease (if any) in MPG due to parasitic drag, as 4WD Auto only engages when it detecs loss of traction.

4WD High, not 4WD Auto.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
It's going to be bad for tires, axle joints, and U-joints. But's it's really not too bad on the highway because you don't make a lot of real sharp turns there. Driving in the city and especially in parking lots with a lot of full-lock steering is much worse.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do you go over 55mph? I'm not sure what exactly happens if you do go over 55, but you're not supposed too.
I use 4 high at drag strip and trap at 73mph in the 1/8th. And during winter in snow, would run 4 high all the time, even on highway above 55mph. Pretty sure its 4 lol you don't want to push fast

fbatwork

Reaction score
It’s just hard on things as mentioned, tires steering components primarily. Less so on the highway than driving around the city where you are doing tighter turns (you would know immediately as your steering will be terrible during a corner in 4WD).

As far as speed, I’ve never worried about a max speed when in 4WD high... same thing happening up front as out back...

If your truck is has 4WD auto your fine.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's going to be bad for tires, axle joints, and U-joints. But's it's really not too bad on the highway because you don't make a lot of real sharp turns there. Driving in the city and especially in parking lots with a lot of full-lock steering is much worse.

I was thinking that too.
Once during a snowstorm I took a trip on the highway. Had to get to a family member, it was important!

Conditions were okay, not great but okay. Plows weren't out yet, so other drivers were assessing the limits of their vehicles/tires appropriately,, but it was not icy underneath.
So, 4x4 High went on, I kept it at about 49mph for safety (drivetrain wise, tire traction wise, etc). Great drive, I remember it to this day.
The duratracs did great, as did the rebel!

Fuzznutz

Reaction score
I use 4 high at drag strip and trap at 73mph in the 1/8th. And during winter in snow, would run 4 high all the time, even on highway above 55mph. Pretty sure its 4 lol you don't want to push fast
The diesel community does the same to hook up. They run 12 second quarters in 4 high. That definately tears things up eventually, but you're spot on. Keep it straight and 4 high isn't going to wear on much. Turning on dry pavement in 4 high is slightly more harsh on things. Where I live and hunt, coming in and out of fields, offroad and on road, I'm in 4 high, and sometimes even just forget I'm in 4 high. Never hurt nothing. First slow speed corner will always remind you that you forgot though.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread