5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

auxiliary battery CODE P058A

quad cab

Reaction score
how does one get behind the seatback on a 2023 quad cab to get to the auxiliary 12 volt battery. Mechanix at cdjr says i am not driving enough to keep battery charged. I am getting p058a code.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
how does one get behind the seatback on a 2023 quad cab to get to the auxiliary 12 volt battery. Mechanix at cdjr says i am not driving enough to keep battery charged. I am getting p058a code.
Should be able to look on youtube for directions. Don't think it a 12v battery, although I could be wrong. I assume you have the e torque

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There is no AUX 12V battery behind the seat back.
You can get there by removing the seats and find a 48 volt battery pack that you can do nothing with. That should be covered for 80k miles under warranty?

As far as the DTC.

P058a code.

When Monitored and Set Conditions

When Monitored: This diagnostic runs continuously when the following conditions are met:

With the ignition on.

Battery voltage above 11.0 volts.

Set Conditions:

The Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS) is reporting an internal calibration error or the signal is not available.

Default Actions:

This is a non-MIL fault.

Possible Causes

FUSED B+ CIRCUIT OPEN/HIGH RESISTANCE

GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN/HIGH RESISTANCE

INTELLIGENT BATTERY SENSOR (IBS)

Last edited:

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You should be under full warranty, why not let the dealer handle this?

quad cab

Reaction score
You should be under full warranty, why not let the dealer handle this?
because the dealer says he just wants to charge this battery and it is a 2 hour round trip, dealer said it would take about 4 hours to charge battery.

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
because the dealer says he just wants to charge this battery and it is a 2 hour round trip, dealer said it would take about 4 hours to charge battery.

I would think the two hour drive and back should recharge everything.
I don't drive my etorque much either so I installed a Battery Tender jr. under the hood and plug it in when I'm not going to drive it for a while.
Also, I personally would replace the 12 volt battery also no matter if it tests good.
Etorqes are plagued with battery problems where the battery tests good but it is not.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240302_073040_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240302_073040_Samsung Internet.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

quad cab

Reaction score
I would think the two hour drive and back should recharge everything.
I don't drive my etorque much either so I installed a Battery Tender jr. under the hood and plug it in when I'm not going to drive it for a while.
Also, I personally would replace the 12 volt battery also no matter if it tests good.
Etorqes are plagued with battery problems where the battery tests good but it is not.
did you have any problem getting the leads from the engine compartment , to the 12 volt auxiliary battery behind the rear seat? This is the battery the ram mechanic wants me to recharge. The truck has about 2800 miles.

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
did you have any problem getting the leads from the engine compartment , to the 12 volt auxiliary battery behind the rear seat? This is the battery the ram mechanic wants me to recharge. The truck has about 2800 miles.
There is no 12 volt battery behind the seat. It is a 48 volt battery pack and you don't want to mess with it.
That battery gets charged by the 48 volt generator/motor as you drive. So the best way for you to charge this battery is a good long drive. 2-3 hours.
The 48 volt battery then constantly monitors the 12 volt battery and keeps it charged even while the truck is parked and sitting around, that is why yours discharged.
By hooking up the battery tender to the 12 volt under hood battery it will save the 48 volt battery from going dead trying to charge the 12 volt battery.
So you would simply hook up the battery tender to the 12 volt battery under the hood.
It was quite easy to just buy two metric nuts to add to the battery lugs
I installed the charger on otherside of engine bay and ran wires across the back, leads are quite long.
I had this truck in storage for 6 weeks while on vacation and no issues upon start up.
As stated earlier you may want to replace your battery because it was probably stressed. If you have any minor electrical quirks replace it even if it tests good.

Attachments

• 20240304_064951.jpg
    20240304_064951.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240304_065011.jpg
    20240304_065011.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There is no 12 volt battery behind the seat. It is a 48 volt battery pack and you don't want to mess with it.
That battery gets charged by the 48 volt generator/motor as you drive. So the best way for you to charge this battery is a good long drive. 2-3 hours.
The 48 volt battery then constantly monitors the 12 volt battery and keeps it charged even while the truck is parked and sitting around, that is why yours discharged.
By hooking up the battery tender to the 12 volt under hood battery it will save the 48 volt battery from going dead trying to charge the 12 volt battery.
So you would simply hook up the battery tender to the 12 volt battery under the hood.
It was quite easy to just buy two metric nuts to add to the battery lugs
I installed the charger on otherside of engine bay and ran wires across the back, leads are quite long.
I had this truck in storage for 6 weeks while on vacation and no issues upon start up.
Some info about where to connect the ground (-) wire, Mopar and Deltran instructions/info (body/chassis ground) are in the below thread.

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Some info about where to connect the ground (-) wire, Mopar and Deltran instructions/info (body/chassis ground) are in the below thread.
Thanks for the info. I just went out and changed the location of the battery maintainers negative lead.

Attachments

• 20240304_085737.jpg
    20240304_085737.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 10

quad cab

Reaction score
okay, next question I cant find fuse labeled start/stop to disable this whole stupid system. I assume that is where the code P058A is coming from?

Users who are viewing this thread