5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aux Fuel Transfer Tank

recon15

Reaction score
Anyone here installed an in bed aux fuel transfer tank yet? Id like to install a 40 gallon tank to fuel up atv's/utv's/etc but also want it hooked up directly to my main 33 gallon tank just for extra miles.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Better check the local and state laws on that. Most if not all deam the direct connect as a major safety concern and it is against the law. If you were involved in an accident, and the transfer/piggyback tank were a factor in resulting injury, your liability would be tremendous.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On my 2008 Big Horn I made an AUX tank from the bottom 8 inches of my Tool Box.
It holds 36 Gallons. There is a Facet Fuel Transfer Pump that runs to a welded bung on
the Filler Neck. I also have a 1/4 inch Vent line from the Tank to the Filler Neck. I get
about 950 miles on 62 Gallons with my 5.7L HEMI.

Now there are EPA Regs, DOT Regs, and the Truck's Computer to deal with.

The EPA states that you have to pull from the top of the tank. If you drained from
the bottom and the line broke, it would dump all the fuel on the ground.

The DOT states that you have to use OEM or better parts. I used SS Braided line plus
all the Aircraft Fittings I needed.

The Trucks computer needs to have a closed system or it sends a CEL code for your fuel
Cap being loose. If you drained strait from the tank, the computer would throw a code
that the Fuel Sender or Gauge was bad. As long as the Gauge goes up and down, it is
fine. I can even transfer while i am driving with a switch on the center console.

I ordered my 2021 Crew Cab Laramie 4x4 with Ecodiesel and 3.21 gears and 33 gallon tank
last week . Should get delivered in mid December. I am picking up the aluminum Diamond
plate to fabricate a tank for the bed. It will be 60" wide, 20 inches tall, and 14 inches deep.
That calculates to about 72 Gallons extra. I have ordered the Leer 122 Cap with large side
Windoors w/ sliders and screens to access the AUX Filler Neck.

Malodave

Users who are viewing this thread