5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aux backup lights ideas/suggestions for my 5th gen

SimmZ

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for some idea (position) for mounting aux backup lights on my truck. I already saw the licence plate LED light thread, but I am looking for something a bit more powerful. I have a 2019 Big Horn with the LED lightning package and the backup light are horrible and I live on a gravel road with not road lights and so it's very hard to backup into my driveway by the night.

Please note I have no concern for the power/wiring side of the installation, I'll simply use the t-harness from CURT and hook the lights on the backup lights circuit of the towing hitch and that's it.

Thank you!!

brawler1588

Reaction score
I really like my baja s2's feel free to ask me any questions I will help the best I can.

673af090e482fc5e17c843169c8639d6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

SimmZ

Reaction score
I really like how small are your spot lights, they look very nice! I also assume that you simply screwed them to the bumper without any special brackets? The only negative side I see so far is that these lights are super-dupper-expensive at 175$ USD each (+shipping since I am in Canada)!! OMG!! o_O

brawler1588

Reaction score
I fabricated brackets from the hardware store. Yes they are expensive but I believe in buy once cry once if you have the funds of course. Lifetime warranty and they are warmer white instead of most lights that are the cool white with hint of the blue. Check out some of my other lighting videos I have on my YouTube, I also have the baja lightbar and hood lights.
397d6a6228984bc3be852c1f3718ade0.jpg
12efa368a483fa0b311654a243bf6479.jpg
17a6f2bda7d693539762041ce5a3a086.jpg

SimmZ

Reaction score
And those large studs I see on your photos where you mounted your plate is the hitch mounting studs I assume? I just looked at my own Big Horn and I was to say that it's not really possible to mount anything on the bumper itself because of this black plastic trim/molding where I have the backup sensors on mine because it's super flimsy and thin. Thanks again! :cool:

In conclusion you really found a way to make a "no-drill" installation on your truck, this is awesome!!

brawler1588

Reaction score
Yes the nut you see at the top of my bracket is the hitch mount. You don't need the bajas just anything size wise you like.

SimmZ

Reaction score
Yes the nut you see at the top of my bracket is the hitch mount. You don't need the bajas just anything size wise you like.

Yes and in my own case I am looking for 6000K lights because my truck have the full LED package from factory that are all 6000K already (blueish). I was also disappointed to see how bad are the factory LED backup lights on my 5th gen since they are less powerful that my old 4rd gen RAM with halogen backup lights...

brawler1588

Reaction score
My headlights are the 6000k too I didn't have the led package but made it all led. If I can make anything on the warmer spectrum I do. Like I said nothing wrong with it rigid industries are 6000k and also a top company.

RickWaz

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for some idea (position) for mounting aux backup lights on my truck. I already saw the licence plate LED light thread, but I am looking for something a bit more powerful. I have a 2019 Big Horn with the LED lightning package and the backup light are horrible and I live on a gravel road with not road lights and so it's very hard to backup into my driveway by the night.

Please note I have no concern for the power/wiring side of the installation, I'll simply use the t-harness from CURT and hook the lights on the backup lights circuit of the towing hitch and that's it.

Thank you!!
These have 3,000 lumens of white backup lighting. Will cost low to mod $200, depending on size.

SimmZ

Reaction score
These have 3,000 lumens of white backup lighting. Will cost low to mod $200, depending on size.

Wow really? 3000 lumens for a thin 3rd brake light bar like that seem a lot, isn't it? How did it compares to flood lights as for the beam pattern and reach, that's the question! However you are right that this is a good budget option and also a perfectly well integrated option that will look like factory. Did PUTCO are known to be a reliable brand? I am not sure but I think I already heard bad comments on them, am I correct or wrong?

RickWaz

Reaction score
Wow really? 3000 lumens for a thin 3rd brake light bar like that seem a lot, isn't it? How did it compares to flood lights as for the beam pattern and reach, that's the question! However you are right that this is a good budget option and also a perfectly well integrated option that will look like factory. Did PUTCO are known to be a reliable brand? I am not sure but I think I already heard bad comments on them, am I correct or wrong?
The backup output is VERY bright (far & wide) and these lights have been getting mostly very good reviews. There's some "minor" wiring issue, i.e., getting the turn signals to sync (or not) w/ the OEM turn signals and you'll need to use (rubber or nylon) spacers to install the 60" vs the (2) 18". BUT overall I'm VERY happy w/ these.

There's a BUNCH of posts on these lights (https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/tailgate-light-bar.3298/page-24#post-345808) as well as the OPT7 lights, which many have installed as well. Good luck@!

brawler1588

Reaction score
I LIKE lights and the option was not enough for me. I do have it wired with my baja back up lights too

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi,

Thank you!!

Users who are viewing this thread