5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Autopark seatbelt airbag chimes

Curlymurt

Reaction score
On my truck I've always fought a loose connection under the seat, I just don't know which connector. First, I'd get the autostart/stop message appear. Then randomly the airbag/seatbelt chime would go off. It was intermittent, so I'd fumble some wires under the seat and I'd be good for another stretch of time. That doesn't work anymore.

I've been checking the seat swap threads from @Jimmy07 and @brental1 but haven't fully figured out which wires I need to make sure are making full contact. I thought it was on the yellow under seat connector, but now I'm not so sure. Can anyone help with pin identification?

I have two red and black, then the small wires are green/black stripe, green/gray stripe, blue/purple strip. 20231002_115436.jpg

Last edited:

brental1

Reaction score
On my truck I've always fought a loose connection under the seat, I just don't know which connector. First, I'd get the autostart/stop message appear. Then randomly the airbag/seatbelt chime would go off. It was intermittent, so I'd fumble some wires under the seat and I'd be good for another stretch of time. That doesn't work anymore.

I don't know if you've seen the schematic I made, attached. I would suggest checking any wires on the Drivers and Passengers yellow connectors, and the wires that lead from them, that are related to Seat Belt. Maybe the grounds also.

I've been checking the seat swap threads from @Jimmy07 and @brental1 but haven't fully figured out which wires I need to make sure are making full contact. I thought it was on the yellow under seat connector, but now I'm not so sure. Can anyone help with pin identification?

I have two red and black, then the small wires are green/black stripe, green/gray stripe, blue/purple strip. View attachment 168465

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-12 080601.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-05-12 080601.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 19

Curlymurt

Reaction score
Super helpful! I couldn't figure out the color initials originally for whatever reason.

I focused on making solid contact with the two reds and the black at the terminals by pulling them out individually and crimping the connector to make sure it was a tight connection before putting them back into the connector.

The most frequent issue is the parking assist disabled message (I don't even have parking sensors) which is immediately followed by the auto start/stop unavailable message.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll know if it's the seat position sensor voltage causing the issue or the drivers seat detection... leaning towards seat position sensor voltage because the service air bag and seat belt lights pop on from time to time AFTER I get the other two messages.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Super helpful! I couldn't figure out the color initials originally for whatever reason.

I focused on making solid contact with the two reds and the black at the terminals by pulling them out individually and crimping the connector to make sure it was a tight connection before putting them back into the connector.

The most frequent issue is the parking assist disabled message (I don't even have parking sensors) which is immediately followed by the auto start/stop unavailable message.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll know if it's the seat position sensor voltage causing the issue or the drivers seat detection... leaning towards seat position sensor voltage because the service air bag and seat belt lights pop on from time to time AFTER I get the other two messages.
Check grounds.

brental1

Reaction score

I'm not really sure; but I would suspect Seat Belt Buckle Switch Sense more than Seat Position Sensor. I think Seat Position Sensor tells the airbag how hard to fire. Off topic; but I'm curious why there is Seat Detection on Driver's seat. From my experience working on my 3rd Gen truck, Seat Detection on the Passenger side was required to decide if the seat belt warning was required, and whether the passenger airbag should be deployed or not. But there was no Seat Detection on the Driver's side. The logic was that if the truck was moving (around 7 MPH) someone must be in the driver's seat; and therefore the seat belt warning was required and the airbag should deploy.

Curlymurt

Reaction score
Progress!

It started yesterday with tons of frustration trying to use jumpers around the connectors to see if one was loose. Wires kept falling out.

Later in the day I realized when I pull my cheeks off the seat, I was causing the AutoStart/Stop malfunction. Seemed weird because that's not normal.

Finally, did a full check for grounds and confirmed the grounded pin in the yellow connector was good. I couldn't figure out how to remove the small pins in the yellow connectors so I was 2 seconds from snipping off the wires, cutters in hand, when I checked all the wires again and I noticed only 1 wire gave resistance when checking the gray, back-right 2 pin connector near the seat belt.

Turns out, it was the green/black stripe wire that broke off at the crimp. It was installed twisted from the factory and the up and down of the seat finally broke the last strand. That wire is the Drivers Seat Detection Return... seems similar to a ground. Cut the connector off and installed a couple pairs of bullet connectors. 100% perfect all day.

Thanks for all the input and assistance!

brental1

Reaction score
Progress!

It started yesterday with tons of frustration trying to use jumpers around the connectors to see if one was loose. Wires kept falling out.

Later in the day I realized when I pull my cheeks off the seat, I was causing the AutoStart/Stop malfunction. Seemed weird because that's not normal.

Finally, did a full check for grounds and confirmed the grounded pin in the yellow connector was good. I couldn't figure out how to remove the small pins in the yellow connectors so I was 2 seconds from snipping off the wires, cutters in hand, when I checked all the wires again and I noticed only 1 wire gave resistance when checking the gray, back-right 2 pin connector near the seat belt.

Turns out, it was the green/black stripe wire that broke off at the crimp. It was installed twisted from the factory and the up and down of the seat finally broke the last strand. That wire is the Drivers Seat Detection Return... seems similar to a ground. Cut the connector off and installed a couple pairs of bullet connectors. 100% perfect all day.

Thanks for all the input and assistance!
Congratulations! I'm surprised that the wire broke at the pin crimp (really that it broke at all). My experience is that harnesses and connectors are very robust. But obviously there was a problem with yours.

Konrad

Reaction score
Wait wait wait. Are you saying that the identical intermittent problem that's been scaring me to death for some time now (start/stop message, airbag message, autopark message + lots of chimes) is actually caused by some loose wiring under the seat, and not by the total failure of all super expensive systems in my truck at the same time?

But seriously, I just started to look for help and solutions before posting about these issues, and happened upon your thread. This is exactly what I'm experiencing. If you or @Jimmy07 or @brental1 could provide any additional info, details or tips and / or point me to relevant previous threads, that would be great. You guys obviously aren't new to this issue.

I will keep looking and researching of course, but any help would be greatly appreciated! Where do I start? 😁

Attachments

• PXL_20231106_191155161_Original.jpeg
    PXL_20231106_191155161_Original.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20231106_191152547_Original.jpeg
    PXL_20231106_191152547_Original.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20231106_191159877_Original.jpeg
    PXL_20231106_191159877_Original.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 8

brental1

Reaction score
Wait wait wait. Are you saying that the identical intermittent problem that's been scaring me to death for some time now (start/stop message, airbag message, autopark message + lots of chimes) is actually caused by some loose wiring under the seat, and not by the total failure of all super expensive systems in my truck at the same time?

But seriously, I just started to look for help and solutions before posting about these issues, and happened upon your thread. This is exactly what I'm experiencing. If you or @Jimmy07 or @brental1 could provide any additional info, details or tips and / or point me to relevant previous threads, that would be great. You guys obviously aren't new to this issue.

I will keep looking and researching of course, but any help would be greatly appreciated! Where do I start? 😁
I don't have any specifics to look for. I would do a visual check to see if any wires have come loose from their pins, and do a continuity check of every wire on both sides of the yellow connectors under each seat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/