5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Automatic Tow/Haul?

vetto

Reaction score
Thinking it would be a great idea if, when plugging in a trailer, in addition to selecting the trailer, the truck would automatically enable "tow/haul".
I'd rather have it on and have to manually disable it for my small empty trailer, than hook up my large or loaded trailer and forget to enable it.

Why isn't this a thing? Seems obvious. (which means Im probably missing something)

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
Plugging in my trailer first time last week, it does automatically turn the rear ParkSense to Off which I like.

I picked up some lumber and had the tail gate open with 2x6’s sticking out the back. Went to back up and the automatic braking system fully engaged immediately, stopping the truck.

vetto

Reaction score
Plugging in my trailer first time last week, it does automatically turn the rear ParkSense to Off which I like.

I picked up some lumber and had the tail gate open with 2x6’s sticking out the back. Went to back up and the automatic braking system fully engaged immediately, stopping the truck.
Try backing up with the door open so you can see the rear tire. Goes to park and parking brake engages automatically for my safety. 😡

• Angry
Reactions: c3k

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Try backing up with the door open so you can see the rear tire. Goes to park and parking brake engages automatically for my safety. 😡
If your seatbelt is done up it won’t put the truck into auto park, I’ve had to do it up behind me a few times to be able to do this without undoing it a bunch.

I would also think the truck would turn on tow/haul mode automatically like it does to disable the backup sensors. The truck let’s you know when you disconnect from the trailer. Maybe they did this so people don’t plug in a false trailer plug to get the higher **** points tow/haul mode offers.

vetto

Reaction score
If your seatbelt is done up it won’t put the truck into auto park, I’ve had to do it up behind me a few times to be able to do this without undoing it a bunch.
well, I'll be dipped. that's a helpful tip!

drydocked

Reaction score
Recently returned from a trip pulling a 5,500# travel trailer over 4,500 miles and I preferred the tow/haul off for most driving. The only times I had it on was in the mountains where it was 35mph curvy roads going up or down grades, tow/haul made it downshift quicker for both accelerating and decelerating using engine braking to assist. At highway speeds, even in the mountains, tow/haul made it downshift a little too easily for my liking.

As far as backing up with the door open I found that on mine after the first time it throws the parking brake on, if I press the parking brake release button twice it will turn that feature off temporarily and allow me to move the truck with the door open. Mine's a 2021, I don't know if that's a recent change or if all 5th gen's work that way.

Users who are viewing this thread