5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Automatic seat and steering wheel heater on remote start not working

TBK

Reaction score
I'm having an issue where my 2019 Ram no longer turns on the seat heater or steering wheel heater when I remote start, even though the options are checked in the settings menu. It used to work, now it doesn't. And it is cold outside, actually snowed this week in Colorado, not sure why it's still February here.

It does work when I get in the truck and turn it on manually, but this was a big want for me, and selling feature, since I'm often in freezing temps.

Has anyone else had this issue? How did you resolve it?

eskiv80

Reaction score
I believe I read somewhere that they come on at 42 degrees or below with the remote start if enabled in the menu, but not if the outside temp is 43 or above. That seems to hold true with my truck.

I have not seen anything in the settings to alter the triggering temp.

Granite5thgen

Reaction score
I wish there was an option to set a temp for them to come on. Seems pretty dumb that 42 turns it on and 43 is too warm...I looked all over for a solution but seems it's either 42 or bust

BigLew

Reaction score
I am finding that even when the outside temp is in the single digits (brrrr) my 2019 Laramie does not turn on the heated seats/steering wheel with remote start sometimes because the sun is shining and apparently is heating up the sensor over the 42* mark even though the seats and wheel are frozen solid. I find this to be a big design flaw. I am assuming they are using an interior thermocouple to reference temp when maybe that should be using an external temp to control auto that on remote start. Or give the owner the ability to change the temp setpoint for remote start auto on heaters. Remote start was one of the major reasons I upgraded from the 2017 to 2019. Maybe I'll try leaving the window slightly cracked open to keep the interior temp close to outside ambient. Frustrating though.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am finding that even when the outside temp is in the single digits (brrrr) my 2019 Laramie does not turn on the heated seats/steering wheel with remote start sometimes because the sun is shining and apparently is heating up the sensor over the 42* mark even though the seats and wheel are frozen solid. I find this to be a big design flaw. I am assuming they are using an interior thermocouple to reference temp when maybe that should be using an external temp to control auto that on remote start. Or give the owner the ability to change the temp setpoint for remote start auto on heaters. Remote start was one of the major reasons I upgraded from the 2017 to 2019. Maybe I'll try leaving the window slightly cracked open to keep the interior temp close to outside ambient. Frustrating though.
Definitely a design flaw, I've had this happen as well but only a couple times because we don't see to much sun in PA during winter months. Might look a little funny having a windshield sunscreen in during the winter but this could possibly solve this problem on sunny days .

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I believe I read somewhere that they come on at 42 degrees or below with the remote start if enabled in the menu, but not if the outside temp is 43 or above. That seems to hold true with my truck.

I have not seen anything in the settings to alter the triggering temp.

It's actually 40 degrees that they come on, not 42. Many mornings I get in my truck after remote starting it, and the seat and steering wheel heat is off. I look at the thermometer and it reads 41 degrees LOL. I agree that we should be able to set the temperature that these come on ourselves. But it's really not a big deal for me since I don't let my truck idle long enough for them to heat up anyway (60 to 90 seconds max).

Users who are viewing this thread