5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Automatic car wash and now all sensors are malfunctioning and throwing errors

dotScott

Reaction score
I recently took my 2019 RAM Longhorn through an automated car wash. Shortly afterward, my ABS sensor, wheel sensors, traction control, 4WD, front and rear proximity sensors, adaptive cruise control, and automatic high beams all show error warnings and are not functioning. All these items must be inter-related to a broken wire, disconnected harness, or fuse. Where should I begin looking to determine the cause?

Has anyone else experienced this?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Start with closely looking at the sensors’ exterior. If that’s ok, then you could make sure sensor connections are tight and not full of water. If those are ok, then check codes with an obd scanner.

Alternatively, and what I would personally do, check codes first, as it might tell you what’s wrong in an obvious code description.

jimothy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you notice any condensation on the inside, particularly the windshield? Twice I’ve gotten condensation on the inside windshield, and the dash lit up like Vegas.

Fortunately, both times the problem cleared up before long. I dried my windshield as best as I could with some napkins I had on hand, turned the heat and AC, and after a while, and after turn the truck off and on, the lights cleared.

If you did have condensation, the next challenge would be finding the source of the leak.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I would start by looking at the connectors on the wheel speed sensors for water. Or if one has been ripped off somehow. If you lose the signal, pretty much all those systems are going to set a code and shut down and trigger a light. If the car wash has some super high pressure wheel blaster, it's not far-fetched.

Checking codes would also give you a head start on where to begin the hunt.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do you notice any condensation on the inside, particularly the windshield? Twice I’ve gotten condensation on the inside windshield, and the dash lit up like Vegas.

Fortunately, both times the problem cleared up before long. I dried my windshield as best as I could with some napkins I had on hand, turned the heat and AC, and after a while, and after turn the truck off and on, the lights cleared.

If you did have condensation, the next challenge would be finding the source of the leak.
That’s a very good point that I assumed he would’ve mentioned.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Could it be caused by a leaking back window, allowing water to get to the RF module?
Just a thought.

6of36

Reaction score
First thought was abs sensor wire caught in car wash. Then I read closer. ABS sensor can cause ABS, traction control, cruise control, and maybe keep from shifting in to 4wd. It will not effect auto high beams, or proximity. These systems are on a few different circuits and fuses. I agree, more than likely a module got wet.

dotScott

Reaction score

That's interesting but I haven't noticed any condensation or musty smell. Thanks!

dotScott

Reaction score
First thought was abs sensor wire caught in car wash. Then I read closer. ABS sensor can cause ABS, traction control, cruise control, and maybe keep from shifting in to 4wd. It will not effect auto high beams, or proximity. These systems are on a few different circuits and fuses. I agree, more than likely a module got wet.
That was my first thought as well. Another really odd thing is that my ODB is showing no codes, which I think is impossible considering every dummy light aside from check engine is on. I haven't had a chance to get under it and check the wheel sensors. The car wash that I use recently installed some really aggressive wheel jets. It's no coincidence that all this occurred right after the car wash, actually about half a mile down the road while I was driving.

jljbtm

Reaction score
I've been taking my limited through the wash almost daily, no problems just remember to pull in the side mirrors

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I've gone through auto car washes many times with no issues, as many have mentioned, it's likely an interior water intrusion that has caused an electrical issue. Assuming all the outside sensors seem fine.

Users who are viewing this thread