5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Automatic Brake Engaged

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
I know there is a thread here somewhere on this, but I can't find it. I stopped at a stop light last week and proceeded through when the light turned green. Directly past that is an over pass. As I was going under the overpass, my Automatic Brake started beeping, it stopped for a brief second and then started again, all of a sudden it engaged the brakes. There was a car ahead of me but not close enough to make a difference and it was gaining speed at the time. I am not sure what the truck "saw" but there was nothing to brake for. I have the video from my dash cam that I will try to figure how to get on here, but there is no sound to it.
Anyone heard of this before?

FN-2187

Reaction score
I know there is a thread here somewhere on this, but I can't find it. I stopped at a stop light last week and proceeded through when the light turned green. Directly past that is an over pass. As I was going under the overpass, my Automatic Brake started beeping, it stopped for a brief second and then started again, all of a sudden it engaged the brakes. There was a car ahead of me but not close enough to make a difference and it was gaining speed at the time. I am not sure what the truck "saw" but there was nothing to brake for. I have the video from my dash cam that I will try to figure how to get on here, but there is no sound to it.
Anyone heard of this before?
I had something similar happen. I was backing up, there was a shadow from a parking structure that the sensors must have mistaken for a solid wall. The truck slammed on the brakes and damn near gave me whiplash because I was turned looking backwards.

Also, whenever I'm backing into my garage I can feel the brakes being applied for me and sometimes I have to give the truck gas to get it to move. I would really like to know how to turn that feature off. I feel LESS safe with it.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's the first thing I disabled when I bought my truck. The sales rep even advised against using it. There is a setting in the uconnect screen to disable the auto-braking feature.

FN-2187

Reaction score
That's the first thing I disabled when I bought my truck. The sales rep even advised against using it. There is a setting in the uconnect screen to disable the auto-braking feature.
Thank you! I'm gonna shut that stuff off right away.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had something similar happen. I was backing up, there was a shadow from a parking structure that the sensors must have mistaken for a solid wall. The truck slammed on the brakes and damn near gave me whiplash because I was turned looking backwards.

Also, whenever I'm backing into my garage I can feel the brakes being applied for me and sometimes I have to give the truck gas to get it to move. I would really like to know how to turn that feature off. I feel LESS safe with it.

It is under settings on Uconnect. I think it is under safety or could be brakes.

Howie Dub

Reaction score
Sometimes the sensor can't discern a shadow from an actual obstacle. My Expedition's side sensors will beep once in a while when I'm making a u-turn and there's a change in shadowing. Was there also a dip in the road? Never had my forward auto braking engage, but it engages all the time when I'm backing into my driveway. I think because of the speed and angle I'm backing up at, the sensor thinks I'm about to hit something. As someone who has backed up into the side of a garage with a car that had a backup camera, I can appreciate the auto brake feature, even if gives me whiplash.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Likewise, that and the lane keep assist. I understand for some situations that could be helpful (but I pay extreme attention to driving so not really something I need) but just like the auto braking, I see certain situations where lane keep could be dangerous.

To go back to the auto braking, I did try backing up my driveway once with it turned on and it stopped me...so permanently off with them considering I back into my driveway a few times a day generally. Front ones were going to be off regardless too, but especially after I saw somewhere else on here that a few people had the autobrake stop them when approaching overpasses. My thoughts instantly go to what if that happened on the highway at 75 mph? No thanks to even the remote possibility of that, or in town either.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
It's rare that it happens to me, but inclined driveways will occasionally cause it to happen on my truck.

It is rare enough that I still have mine in use, I just turn off the system when backing up in that situation, turn it back on using the front toggles in the dash.

However, if you want to turn it off permanently, as mentioned, keep your backup sensor warning on and turn off the emergency rear braking from the Unconnect Safety settings. Don't turn off your rear warning toggle on the dash.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Likewise, that and the lane keep assist. I understand for some situations that could be helpful (but I pay extreme attention to driving so not really something I need) but just like the auto braking, I see certain situations where lane keep could be dangerous.

To go back to the auto braking, I did try backing up my driveway once with it turned on and it stopped me...so permanently off with them considering I back into my driveway a few times a day generally. Front ones were going to be off regardless too, but especially after I saw somewhere else on here that a few people had the autobrake stop them when approaching overpasses. My thoughts instantly go to what if that happened on the highway at 75 mph? No thanks to even the remote possibility of that, or in town either.
The front sensors have nothing to do with forward collision warning. Those are for parking only. They don't even activate the brakes. It is the radar and camera in the windshield that controls FCW.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The front sensors have nothing to do with forward collision warning. Those are for parking only. They don't even activate the brakes. It is the radar and camera in the windshield that controls FCW.

Yeah I get that, I don't use those either but I know you can turn the front/rear collision warning/braking off independently of the front/rear parking sensors. I turned the front/rear collision stuff off in the settings first, and then turned the parking sensors off after that. I'll occasionally use the parking sensors but don't really need them 99% of the time, the autobraking stuff I will never have on.

My wording of "front ones" wasn't good in my prior post, it would have been better worded as "front collision braking" or something like that. I don't have any problem at all with the parking sensors, I just don't use them. The auto braking I find to be dangerous from things I have heard on here.

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Mine was extremely sensitive when I bought it... while I had it in for an oil change I had them recalibrate the sensors and it’s a lot better. Occasionally get the false positives but for the most part better.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I get that, I don't use those either but I know you can turn the front/rear collision warning/braking off independently of the front/rear parking sensors. I turned the front/rear collision stuff off in the settings first, and then turned the parking sensors off after that. I'll occasionally use the parking sensors but don't really need them 99% of the time, the autobraking stuff I will never have on.
That's exactly what I do, auto braking off always, parking sensors off most of the time. Who needs sensors when I have a tiny drone hovering above my truck with a camera showing what's all around me? I love surround view!

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's exactly what I do, auto braking off always, parking sensors off most of the time. Who needs sensors when I have a tiny drone hovering above my truck with a camera showing what's all around me? I love surround view!

Exactly! Between all of the cameras and my tow mirrors, it's already overkill.

Users who are viewing this thread