5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto switch not working with headlights

rasko

Reaction score
Can't figure out why my auto switch won't work for my headlights. My headlights are always on no matter what time of the day it is. I have DRL off in the light settings on the radio, and tunnel detection is set to no already.
Could it possibly be the tint? I have 50% on the windshield

Does anyone have any ideas?

Edit: 2019 1500 bighorn

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Forgot to add that really important tid bit. Added in main post, it's a 2019 1500 bighorn. Thanks lol.
If you switch the lights to off do they turn or stay on?

The flashlight to the sensor on your dash might be a good test if then turn off when you move the switch, it's possibly 50% tint thinks it's overcast? It's illigal for windshield tint in my state so I wouldn't know if it affects auto lights, but it very well could.

rasko

Reaction score

The flashlight to the sensor on your dash might be a good test if then turn off when you move the switch, it's possibly 50% tint thinks it's overcast? It's illigal for windshield tint in my state so I wouldn't know if it affects auto lights, but it very well could.
They will turn off when I switch them off.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
They will turn off when I switch them off.
If it's a problem with the light sensor meaning lights are on if you put your high beams on they will engage. I use the term problem loosely, it might be because of the tint.

If it's a problem with your DRL configs then putting the high beams on and nothing happens means your DRL are in fact on.

Let us know what happens.

rasko

Reaction score

It doesn't appear to be the tint. I tried the flashlight yesterday and they are still on.

rasko

Reaction score
If it's a problem with the light sensor meaning lights are on if you put your high beams on they will engage. I use the term problem loosely, it might be because of the tint.

If it's a problem with your DRL configs then putting the high beams on and nothing happens means your DRL are in fact on.

Let us know what happens.
Do you mean if I put the high beams on and the DRLs are still on simultaneously?

I know the high beams work, I've had those on before. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding anything there.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was going to say, I have 35% tint on my windshield and the auto headlights still function properly.

If say there is either an issue with your sensor, or the headlight switch.

rasko

Reaction score
Mechanic's Rule of Thumb: The last thing you worked on is the first thing that breaks. So what did you do last -- reprogramming or window tint?
I didn't really reprogram anything yet, but have also ruled out the tint. I only checked the tunnel detection option on alfa. It was already set to no so I didn't have to save or change anything.

rasko

Reaction score
I was going to say, I have 35% tint on my windshield and the auto headlights still function properly.

If say there is either an issue with your sensor, or the headlight switch.
Might have to put that bumper to bumper warranty to use then and bring it up to the shop. Lol

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Do you mean if I put the high beams on and the DRLs are still on simultaneously?

I know the high beams work, I've had those on before. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding anything there.
Leave it in auto during the bright daytime like normal and turn your high beams on. If they go on then it means your lights are on, and it's a bad sensor.

If it doesn't go on then it means your drl are on, and you need to disable the drl with alfaobd, or try factory resetting the raido and turning off drl again.

If the drl are on then high beams should not engage unless it is dark outside and thus drl are turned off. Drl by default are low beams but you can change that with alfaobd to amber blinkers for example. When your auto lights kick on the Amber's will shut off.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Forget the high beams. When the headlights are on during the day, just take a few steps to the back of the truck and look at the tail lights. If the tail lights are not on, then it's the DRL that are running up front. If the taillights are on then it's your primary headlights that are on.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Leave it in auto during the bright daytime like normal and turn your high beams on. If they go on then it means your lights are on, and it's a bad sensor.

If it doesn't go on then it means your drl are on, and you need to disable the drl with alfaobd, or try factory resetting the raido and turning off drl again.

If the drl are on then high beams should not engage unless it is dark outside and thus drl are turned off. Drl by default are low beams but you can change that with alfaobd to amber blinkers for example. When your auto lights kick on the Amber's will shut off.
Easier to just see if taillights are on, since they don't come on with DRL

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Forget the high beams. When the headlights are on during the day, just take a few steps to the back of the truck and look at the tail lights. If the tail lights are not on, then it's the DRL that are running up front. If the taillights are on then it's your primary headlights that are on.
beat me to it

slimchance

Reaction score
i am following this thread .. just bought a 2023 Ram Laramie (only 600 miles) .. w/led head and tail lites .... DRL are OFF in settings ... head lites set on switch to AUTO ... head lites & tail lites are ON during day time ... on my 2021 Gladiator and our 2022 Gladiator i put a 1/2" rubber stool leg cover over the sensor on the dash ( and leave it there) .. this makes the head lites & tail lites come on when i start the engine (with the lite switch on auto) and shut OFF when the engine is shut down ... note this also worked this way on our 2 other 2019 Laramies and our 2019 Ram 2500 .... with this 2023 the lites just stay ON when t he engine is shut down .... i think the sensor is NOT working

Users who are viewing this thread