5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto start/stop 5.7 hemi activating before complete stop

Hemipowaa

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I picked up a 22 limited with the Etorque back in February. Ive noticed that the start/stop is activating and shutting off my engine coming down to a coast between 1-2mph. Ive taken it to the dealership twice and have both said its a “normal operation” according to Stellantis. I know the vehicle is suppose to be at a complete stop before it decides to shut off the engine but mine is shutting off at the 1-2mph coming to a stop. They said the digital speedometer is “behind”. I did get the recent recall taken care of the last time i took it in. Not sure if anyone on here has had this issue or knows of it? Any inputs would be great! Last thing I need is a lemon.

Bavet

Reaction score
Unfortunately your dealer is correct. Seems to be an "improvement" in the eTorque function to allow Ram to claim 1 mpg more in city driving for 2022 models. It's not a popular improvement. I would have opted out of eTorque if I had known this is how it was going to function. I had a recall done recently and it seems to have improved it some but occasionally it will still shut off on a roll.

Hemipowaa

Reaction score
Unfortunately your dealer is correct. Seems to be an "improvement" in the eTorque function to allow Ram to claim 1 mpg more in city driving for 2022 models. It's not a popular improvement. I would have opted out of eTorque if I had known this is how it was going to function. I had a recall done recently and it seems to have improved it some but occasionally it will still shut off on a roll.
Thats so weird since all the other brands and stellantis products shut off after a complete stop. Im glad Its not a faulty truck then. I actually debated if I should just have gotten a plain hemi since I had to order my truck due to the market now. Thank you for your input on this, im more at ease now.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thats so weird since all the other brands and stellantis products shut off after a complete stop. Im glad Its not a faulty truck then. I actually debated if I should just have gotten a plain hemi since I had to order my truck due to the market now. Thank you for your input on this, im more at ease now.
You can turn off the auto start/stop every time you start the truck and avoid that

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's interesting that some people are bothered by this function. It took me a couple of days to get used to the etorque, but now I hardly notice it. Maybe the function on mine isn't as pronounced as it is on some other trucks? I'm absolutely not criticizing anyone as I would have selected a regular 5.7 if the GT had that option. I guess if you're lucky it will grow on you like it did me ;)

Dewey

Reaction score
Mine is odd. Sometimes only shuts down a split second after zero and other times still rolling at 1-2 mph. I bought an AutoStop Eliminator and don’t even worry about it anymore.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My wife's Buick does it too, makes it impossible to stop without a jerk. I think it's a symptom of corporate rot. Hotshot engineer comes up with a stupid idea and doofus manager isn't bright enough to say "no don't do that".

Bavet

Reaction score
It's interesting that some people are bothered by this function. It took me a couple of days to get used to the etorque, but now I hardly notice it. Maybe the function on mine isn't as pronounced as it is on some other trucks? I'm absolutely not criticizing anyone as I would have selected a regular 5.7 if the GT had that option. I guess if you're lucky it will grow on you like it did me ;)
It's not that I'm bothered by the eTorque. It's that the eTorque on my 2019 worked to my liking and they tweaked it for 2022's that now makes it annoying instead of a functional asset. My 2022 also doesn't drop into gear when I shift from Park to R or D until I let off the brake and I'm certain it has to do with the eTorque. They ruined a good thing.

HemiDude

Reaction score
It's not that I'm bothered by the eTorque. It's that the eTorque on my 2019 worked to my liking and they tweaked it for 2022's that now makes it annoying instead of a functional asset. My 2022 also doesn't drop into gear when I shift from Park to R or D until I let off the brake and I'm certain it has to do with the eTorque. They ruined a good thing.
I see you had the recall done, and you mentioned that it was better than but but still not right. Did the delay from P to D/R exist before you had it done? I don't have that issue, and I don't want want to introduce it through a software update

Bavet

Reaction score
I see you had the recall done, and you mentioned that it was better than but but still not right. Did the delay from P to D/R exist before you had it done? I don't have that issue, and I don't want want to introduce it through a software update
My problem was not initiated with the recall software update. It's been there since day one. I think it has something to do with the disengagement of the driveline so it can roll to a stop with the engine off. My son has a 22 Rebel and does the same thing. The owner of the dealership where I purchased my truck had a 22 and his did the same thing. He traded to a non eTorque model. Doesn't do it in Tow/Haul or Manual mode but still does it if I turn off Stop/Start via the dashboard switch. Doesn't do it on first start of the day and best I can tell is that the RPMs are slightly higher on cold starts. My truck has had plenty of software bugs and this is the last thing I need fixed but it's frustrating to have to wait for Ram engineering to address the issue, if they even know it's an issue.

HemiDude

Reaction score
My problem was not initiated with the recall software update. It's been there since day one. I think it has something to do with the disengagement of the driveline so it can roll to a stop with the engine off. My son has a 22 Rebel and does the same thing. The owner of the dealership where I purchased my truck had a 22 and his did the same thing. He traded to a non eTorque model. Doesn't do it in Tow/Haul or Manual mode but still does it if I turn off Stop/Start via the dashboard switch. Doesn't do it on first start of the day and best I can tell is that the RPMs are slightly higher on cold starts. My truck has had plenty of software bugs and this is the last thing I need fixed but it's frustrating to have to wait for Ram engineering to address the issue, if they even know it's an issue.
Got it, thanks!

Tinshield

Reaction score
It's funny how some people see problems where others have no issue. Mine cuts out coming to a stop and that part has never bothered me since it's almost undetectable unless I am looking at the cluster. I did get the update and, overall, the truck behaves very well in my opinion. Definitely haven't experienced any of the stumbles or hesitations I noticed before the update. Very smooth.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really was impressed with the smoothness of the previous gen Etorque system. Didn't even notice it. When my 2022 came it was/am disappointed with how it works. The software update helped some, but it still jerky when taking off. It is not bad if you take your foot off the brake and let it roll for a bit but thats not realistic driving scenarios. I would encourage anyone who is dissatisfied with this to take it to the dealer as well as report it to Ram. It is likely a software update away from being really good like it was before.

Bavet

Reaction score
It's funny how some people see problems where others have no issue. Mine cuts out coming to a stop and that part has never bothered me since it's almost undetectable unless I am looking at the cluster. I did get the update and, overall, the truck behaves very well in my opinion. Definitely haven't experienced any of the stumbles or hesitations I noticed before the update. Very smooth.
Turning the engine off while rolling to a stop in normal driving was a minor annoyance for me except at yield signs and other rolling stops. The bigger problem was creeping into my garage or other parking spaces and have the engine shut off while I was still rolling, then have it lurch forward as it restarts when I take my foot off the brake. I found that a little unsafe. But again, my 2019 eTorque worked beautifully.

610SRTGang

Reaction score
Auto stop start doesn't bother me except when i am pulling in to a parking spot and it shuts off and i ease off the brake a little to roll into the spot and it starts back up and lurches forward. almost hit a concrete poll once because of it.

Users who are viewing this thread